Is anything being done to improve SotA performance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maldoke, Apr 8, 2024.

Tags:
  1. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

Well, my computer isn't the best, but it runs updated games much more fluidly than SotA.

I would like to know if anything is being done/considered to improve the performance of SotA? here practically all the cities are unplayable, it seems like I'm playing on powerpoint... and I don't see anything in the patches/updates that improve SotA's performance, I just see more decoration items being added...

There are some NPC castles/cities that are beautiful, well crafted, but it is almost impossible to walk in them.

I think everyone can imagine the reason, which is that there are overly decorated houses, even in NPC cities, where players place a vendor and 3726732647362 items on the floor for sale...

I saw a video from a dev showing the update, and even for him it's a bit stuck.

What to do? improve the "quality" of scripts/sprites? Don't all sprites (decoration, house, items in general) that are implemented in the game undergo optimization? Do they just download and insert it into the game?

I would like to know your ideas for the future of SotA in this sense... because if each update adds more item packs, access to cities will become increasingly impossible (at least for me and a friend who has a better PC than mine ).

FrostII and Pifester like this.
  2. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

In my experience it's very up and down. There will be a release which improves things a whole lot so that everything runs smoothly, then performance tends to deteriorate gradually over subsequent releases as focus shifts from performance to content, then there will be another round of optimisation. Recently I've found population centres very hard going, any time I entered Ardoris during the current release I had to wait several minutes before I could even walk away from the spawn point.

maldoke likes this.
  3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

It really needs the unity upgrade - particularly to run well on the majority of recent games PCs

Micmatty, FrostII and maldoke like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do you happen to be running the Linux version of SotA?

5. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

No, I'm playing the Windows version

Yeah, there are so many beautiful NPC cities, it's sad not to be able to enjoy them

FrostII likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Things that I have found to help with performance:
    • Turn off SMP (symmetric multi-processing or hyper-threading in Intel speak).
    • Turn off aggressive decoration loading.
    • Don't use Lua scripts (leads to massive hitching).

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

How much RAM does your system and graphics card have? I have found performance improves the more RAM you can give it.

Are you running the game from an SSD? I found loading scenes from hard drives way too slow.

FrostII likes this.
  8. maldoke

maldoke Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out this one from Intel.
    When it comes to Lua Scripts it's kind of hard not to use it, I'm still finding the best hunting spots, and OCX helps me a lot.

Regarding aggressive decoration loading, does it make a difference? I activated it here a few days ago, and it seems to have improved a little (it seems to load faster, or stay in cache, I don't know haha)

I also noticed that it uses a lot of RAM, I only have 16GB and it is at maximum :\

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  9. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Could you first post your computers specs so that we see that it at least fulfills the minimum requirements and better the recommended stuff? Because any small amount of optimization won´t be able to make any lacking in that disappear.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  10. opTi

opTi Avatar

Performance at Brit Alleys went real bad yesterday.
    With some POTs I can't access the Lots (Town Lot) for minutes (!) because decoration items still have to be loaded.

I cannot make a tracert towards the server, but my connection runs at 100MBit/s via Frankfurt (Germany) and is ok.

my setup:
    Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD

Time of this report: 4/9/2024, 17:12:02

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22631) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
    BIOS: A.60 (type: UEFI)

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 65536MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 65488MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
    Dedicated Memory: 5981 MB

Page File: 20636MB used, 54579MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DirectX Database Version: 1.5.1

DxDiag Version: 10.00.22621.0001 64bit Unicode

Last edited: Apr 9, 2024