Is it possible to merge two characters into one

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cwright45, May 7, 2023.

1. cwright45

cwright45 Avatar

Back in the day SOTA announced the intention of characters gaining a crafting Mastery ability. The original announcement stated that each character could have one crafting Mastery. Later that was changed to two crafting Masteryies.
    I bought a second character to mature an Alchemist with Alchemy Mastery. My main is a blacksmith.
    It is inconvenient to have to create items as a blacksmith and then have to switch characters to enchant the items. It is also very time intensive to try and keep the second character's crafting XP high enough.

Is it possible to just merge the XP in the second character's skills into the skills of the primary character?

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

When both characters are on the same account they share the same experience pools. When you unlearn the 2nd characters skills, either by setting all skills to unlearn (you can set entire schools to unlearn) or by using an Obsidian item of Unlearning or Greater Unlearning then the 2nd characters XP are put back in the XP pools either in part or completely.

If you then load the 1st character you can use the huge XP pool, in the best case with the training bonus of Castle ATOS fountain of learning and if below skill 100 by training under a mentor in a group and using food (e.g. cookies that distribute XP to skills 25% faster) to quickly train up the wanted skills.

However - due to the formula used for the XP needed to gain skills simply combining the XP of two characters at say level 100 skills won´t create a character with level 200 as the skills get more expensive at each new level.

3. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Umm, mine certainly don't seem to - I have 3 toons on one account for the same reason as the OP - logged on the ones I don't use recently and they all started off with 0 XP in their pools (cash, bank, mails are all shared tho)

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Sharing xp pools ended some time ago.

Coswald_Dirthmire and Margaritte like this.
  5. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I just compared the XP pools of my 2 characters and you are right, they are no longer identical. But I am positive that they were identical when I started playing with the 2nd character. Must have been changed in one of the patches.

Scanphor likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that happened in release 77.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That's why I said "ended some time ago" and not "never happened."

FrostII likes this.
  8. cwright45

cwright45 Avatar

My original question is merging the characters something that SOTA devs can perform. (At a cost, like creating an alternative character on the account, but in reverse?) I just want to have the second characte's XP in each skill added to the same primary character's skill pools. And, to have the second character's Crafting Specialization skill (Alchemy) transferred to the primary character.

9. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I'd guess the answer is no, as such mergers would allow folks to create or purchase high level alts and later merge them into veritable demigods.

I used to have a character, Dirthmire Blanks, that would give a maker's mark other than my name for whenever someone else was going to work gear I made. I trained him up a fair bit since an exceptional craft used to be far more important (granting +50 durability). These days his production is all untrained and I put that XP into refining instead. Maybe something like that might be a useful pivot for your current alchemist? Or with some of the amazing prizes available in fishing contests maybe that's an attractive tree.

Adam Crow and Koimiko like this.