Lot deed selling....Is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaledis, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Or are there a LOT of people who paid money for the pledge for a lot deed and are now selling the deed to make a profit?

I really wanted to upgrade my pledge up to 'Ancestor' because I wanted a lot deed as I love housing in mmos but I really couldn't afford it at the time. But now I can afford it, you cant pledge anymore.

But looking at the marketplace on this forum you see a LOT of posts for people selling lots for probably a lot more than they are worth. Just feels very much like the vicious land grabs that happened in Archeage, where the people with the most cash buy up all of the good stuff and flip it.

Mykll, Tahru, Oyjord Hansen and 2 others like this.
  2. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

its the nature of the beast :) no way around it.

you can try taxes- just buy gold cotos ect.
    you can try account hard limits - multi accounts

only way to have everyone get a home is to do instanced housing and i dont want that rather just deal with land barons and such. we will eventually get a home or rent one.

3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Yeah the Archage was bad, so much so compared to SoTA.

Baalice likes this.
  4. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

I don't know what the numbers are or what lot size is OP after, but there are bundles priced like the ancestor or edelman pledges.
    If you couldn't afford before, but now you can, maybe worth looking at?
    I know you only had to upgrade and not paying for the whole pledge, but depending on your current pledge, wouldn't it be an option?

5. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Yeh I have been looking at the bundles but am I right in thinking that you need to buy a deed and then buy the house for it to go on? If that is the case there arent any lots left (in non player towns) but you can still buy a house.

6. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Yeh I don't want to have instanced housing, it adds more realism to the game that there are limited plots, but I just get the impression that people have been buying them to flip for a profit as they have more real money.

7. Net

Net Avatar

What is wrong about that? People who learned about the game late have the option to get one. Developers get funded early.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Also people can set the price of the lot they resell for whatever the amount. It's just a matter of how much others are willing to pay to obtain one from them. The price may go down if they are motivated sellers who realize they're not gonna make much cash in this venture.

Net and Phiedrus Oliva like this.
  9. Acred

Acred Avatar

I just checked the available Viking Bundles that include a house and a tax-free deed for a POT lot (and the Kobold Bundles on the same page, but there is a second tab on top that took me a while to find). When you click on the particular Bundle you want to research you can see the picture of the house that is included and all the other items in the Bundle. You are right that these are no longer for "non-player towns".

Considering the number of lot deeds that are being offered for sale, I've heard from a couple of people that they have sold off their larger taxable deeds because they had not expected to have to pay as much tax as is now required. So there can be other reasons for selling than just to make profit.

10. Godra

Godra Avatar

I have a total of 7 lot deeds right now. I don't plan on selling them. 5 are tax free, but 2 are POT Lot deeds only with taxes due. They may be the only deeds I sell if I can't keep up with the tax rates. I have not figured out how to make a good amount of money in game yet. I am still exploring different areas and my POT is not built yet. Once that is complete, I can spend more time crafting and things.

Tahru likes this.
  11. Elric Zand

Elric Zand Avatar

meanwhile I am trying real hard to find someone willing to part with their taxree city deed

:D

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

There are still plenty of lots left. Come to Storm's Reach.

Vyrin likes this.
  13. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

"Just feels very much like the vicious land grabs that happened in Archeage, where the people with the most cash buy up all of the good stuff and flip it".

That kind of statement makes me very angry. You have no right to throw insults at other players just because they have something you want and won't give it to you at your price.

I have several dozen lot deeds.A lot of them are for sale. You have no clue as to my motives or anyone else's motives for that matter. If you did you might even feel good about spending 10 -15 bucks more for one than I paid.

Making profit is not wrong Dude. Many people given a lot to others and to this game for a very long time like no game I have ever seen.

This ain't living at home with mom and dad, this ain't a communist country. The world don't owe you anything!

Your playing one of the hottest games on the street. I bet
    my last lot deed that if you had one and wanted something else in this game you would sell it for all you could get!

Get off your soapbox, and get to earning and saving gold, real money whatever you need to do. It ain't that hard to save a couple hundred dollars up. Unless your not working in game or in real. In that case you shouldn't be wasting money or your time in this game anyway.

Not trying to bust your chops dude, but you should think about how other people might take what you say. It is offensive to some.

If you wish to buy a lot deed, I have at least one of every kind for sale at a reasonable markup. Why because profit is not bad nor illegal and I know longer desire to have as many as I do. Need/want to make a payment or two? I will work with you.

14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Amen Brother!!!

15. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I would imagine you can get a tax free row deed for less than the $275 an Ancestor pledge would have cost you precisely because a bunch of people are trying to unload deeds. That's the textbook definition of a buyer's market. Sure, you might have to spend 10k in game to buy a row house from the merchant (or craft it yourself).

Of course, if you're trying to value a tax-free deed similar to a taxable row deed (purchased as recently as 2 days ago at $85 - they opened for a while during the telethon) the problem is that expectation, not the seller's price. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but if you are, you shouldn't. ;)

16. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

17. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I don't hide my disdain for people making a profit off of in-game goods for real life cash. The developer is the one who makes the game and owns that property in the end so if anyone should profit, it should be them. There are plenty of ways to make a profit in real life doing real life work. I for one will never agree that this is right, regardless of its legality. Of course, that is just my opinion but I know I'm not alone in it. Keep real life crap out of gaming, period. It's a cancer that's been there for too long.

You say the OP makes you angry, that he shouldn't assume intent. Same goes for you. Your rant is no better and I find it extremely offensive. I might ask you if you should think about how other people take the things you say? Unlikely, because your view is 'right'.

Be angry at me too. I won't be changing my stance either.

FYI: I am a Baron backer. I already own tax-free city and village lot deeds so this is in no way coming from a place of needing one nor would I consider selling one. I pledged to back the game and make it a reality, not to 'invest' money and turn a profit.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just a small note here. The developers are the ones who are actively supporting and building this secondary 'rares' market. It is very much part of their business case.

For instance. The devs sells seasonal objects like a xmas tree.
    If that was all they did they would get rather low profit, by creating 1 xmas tree asset and then pulling out that same asset every year for the same price. This would at most generate 1 sale per person wanting a tree.
    Instead what they are doing is selling a 2014 xmas tree, then withdrawing that from the shop. Then next year a reskin/remodel and you have a 2015 xmas tree, etc.
    By doing this they encourage collecting, so that some won't want just one tree, but all of them.
    This of course encourages the secondary market and scalping of it. BUT this generates even more profit for the company. Since if you see that xmas tree for $10, and then a few months later it is $20, will people be more or less inclined to buy some extra?

So collectibles and the creation of rare objects has been part of the plan since kickstarter - they were pretty explicit about it.

For instance Deeds is one such created commodity which rescued the kickstarter and made it a success. If those didn't have the feeling of exclusivity that they got then pledge upgrades and sales would have been much much lower.
    But what the secondary market and its value ensures that once Portalarium launches the next Episode with a new continent - they can instantly sell bundles or deeds again to a market willing to pay premium.
    (Caveat - If the game is at least moderately successful that is).

You can see this again in "stacking houses"... They knowingly and willingly created first a surplus among early pledgers of houses. Then they removed houses from later purchases of deeds.
    This drives the creation of a secondary market - which creates a sense of value - which drives sales of addon store housing at a premium.

Etc.

So this project since it is backed not by a publisher and instead is funded by the players, wouldn't exist nor prosper without creating that secondary market and prosper from it.

19. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

I don't dispute that at all but I appreciate the clarification. My point really was that people turn a profit off of someone else's intellectual property. It's not just this game, it's been a lot of games for many, many years. To me, it's a scourge, plain and simple. Portalarium makes a profit selling different assets every year, great. Someone buys a bunch of them just to sell them for more at some later date to gain real life money? That's my problem. Again, it's nothing new and won't ever stop but that's just my personal conviction. I also know that Port allows a lot of theses types of transactions (though not all) via their marketplace forums so it's been a done deal. I don't have to like it and certainly lose respect for people that do it. That only affects me though and anyone else that feels the same as I do. I make no illusions that this will ever change but it does tend to make my Irish blood heat up. :p

Edit: I guess it really just stems from a long, 35 year or so love affair with video games and how they can immerse you, much like reading books. The last thing I want to see, hear or know about is real life 'junk' invading that space and corrupting it... especially 'the root of all evil' itself.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  20. Toff

Toff Avatar

Ahhh, the eternal argument between the HAVES :) and have-nots :( about whats fair and not fair. What I find interesting about some of the haves-nots that I grew up with is they always change their opinion once they become haves. Maybe that is whats going on here, maybe some of the have-nots should head out and earn a living make some gold and spend it as they please, then have some new player come into the game and say they are greedy profiteers.

Xail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.