1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lot Deeds: Never Oversold

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

There will be a ton of player ran taverns and shops. That is one of the good things of any multiplayer game like SotA. I agree with you.

3devious and ruschandrew like this.
  2. Leondegrance

Leondegrance Avatar

In that case I hope that "commercial" lots and "residential" lots are intermixed in a reasonable pattern.
    As much as I would hate to see streets lined with endless houses I would equally hate to see streets lined with endless player owned shops and taverns.

The key is to control the placement of structures so that you prevent undesired patterns. Each town is divided into blocks. Each block has to have certain things like taverns, shops, park, statues, fountains, squares, and homes etc.

Miracle Dragon and DavenRock like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, it all goes into how each town is designed. Initial ideas were about:
    - player houses in blocks at various places so it's not one entirely huge endless row
    - central town square area
    - protected inner area

We've only really seen 1 town. They will mix it up. And I do hope they have lots of variety, including these compacted areas of commercial/residental houses.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

That just wont be the case, in larger towns where there is a lot of traffic, here will be a butt load of player ran shops where in the lesser populated areas of the map, you may be lucky to find a shop.

5. Nytetears

Nytetears Avatar

And a large number of the rewards for being a backer are items meant to be put in a house. If houses are to be that rare why would they give out gifts for houses?

6. aevans

aevans Avatar

For the levels below that which gives you a deed (and house), with the exceptions of the The Darkstarr Metronome! and a duplicate of your digital tombstone, it looks like most of the house-rewards are just digital copies of real-world pledge rewards. Most of those are plaques or pictures to hang on walls.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Imagine if one day there are players numbering in the millions. Now judging by how the "rares" market was in UO, there will be a market for rare items to decorate your house. So even if you don't have a house you could hang on to those items and then sell them for a lot of in game gold later on.

The rarer the better. So these items might not be super expensive right at the release of the game because nobody has had time to gather lots of gold yet, and also lots of people have them. However as time goes on these items will be scarce. Many new players will get houses one way or another. So even if you never gain a house you could still make quite a lot of money from these items.

Think about the reward that is ONE piece of founder's armor. There are three types of founder's armor to choose from, and we only get one piece. A rich guy in game is going to spend gold to aquire the other pieces to complete his set of armor. They won't use that armor for fighting, people will use that armor to dress up and go to a public event in this totally rare set of armor. Need I say more? ... Okay I will .... those holiday items were sold only for a short period of time now today is the last day to get them... I bet you one of those trees or the deer caller will be worth a million gold some day.

Miracle Dragon and Koldar like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

rares will always be valuable in this game. Not everything will become rares, but if you think something might not spawn in the game ever again, then hang on to it.

Don't be a hoarder, but remember the people in UO who got coal in their stockings for christmas.... those that kept that coal found out later on that it turned into a black iron ingot, and they could forge the darkest color of armor in the game. Coal armor was very expensive, and it earned those smiths quite a bit of money!!!

9. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

One of the things I don't like in Ultima Online is the fact, that the most gifts and even items, which should not require it, like the pink and blue scroll books, require you to have a house on the shard.
    Which is pretty lame with the still existing one house per account + one house on Siege rule, which limits the usability to this one shard and to Siege (now at a time, in which every player could place a house without searching long).
    So house deco items are fine, but if possible, there should be a good balance of value between items for house and for character. (I also wonder, why one would need 10, 20, 50 cloaks if he only can carry one. Where and how to store them without creating the utter chaos as in the chests in my Ultima Online buildings after a while of active playing?
    Maybe, if storage is limited, there should be also an unlimited bank safe for those items the player himself received as a gift. I seriously dislike to receive "gifts" which you can only drop to ground due to storage considerations.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I believe you can use them whilst they are in your bank......I could be wrong I haven't tried for a while.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Yes I do remember. I still have a piece of coal ore, coal ingot, and a complete set of coal armor on the Lake Austin shard in UO. Very cool! Great memories.

Isaiah likes this.
  12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I thought RG was thinking of a F2P period then to gain access to the full game you had to buy so may come and try but never buy

13. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

He has talked about doing a trail period, something similar to how you can play production WoW till level 20 at certain times.

14. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

A Few Questions on Housing Rule changes for the Dev Team.

Why was the decision taken to allow a player to own multiple plots per account when they are a Limited item in the game.
    We only get one character so why the need to allow multiple houses.
    I think the selling of any limited item in a shop should never have been taken, shops should be reserved for unlimited fluff.

Maybe @Darkstar can answer my question why will allowing multi plots per account make it a more desirable game for the masses.

If we are allowed only one character per account I think a $250000 - $500000 pledge reward of another character slot for every backer over $45 would have been a better option to raise extra funds if 90% of backers pledged that would have been about $10 each and may have attracted some new people to back the game. I'm sure there are lots of options of unlimited items that would not be just for a very small % of people.

15. Duke Gréagóir

A contest winner won a plot in a contest and they already had a pledge with a plot of land in it.

mbomber likes this.
  16. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

That's not a good reason to then allow everyone that choice.
    If they could not work out a compromise with the player to either upgrade their original lot to the next level, and at that time you could only place one land deed so the player would have had to sell or he could have opened a 2nd account to use it. Portalarium could have given him a cash credit to use anytime in the shop for other items. There are lots of different options to overcome the mistake of giving a plot deed as a Prize.

17. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That was the first case, but some backers were already lobbying for that option at the time as well (i.e., the developers didn't do it simply to appease one person)...

Jambo and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

When you say some do you mean the ones that now have multiple Plots are all those that don't.
    Were did this lobbying take place on the forums link me the thread, or was it a Dev+ discussion were the majority already had one Land deed.

19. 3devious

3devious Avatar

You could get Dev+ for $400 and citizen for $500. Not every dev backer has a plot. Give the tinfoil hat a break. (They don't work anyway. The person who sold me my tinfoil hat said that I need an upgrade which is going to set me back even more money.)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  20. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@wagram
    It was a choice Portalarium made at the end of the kickstarter for the final weekend where they asked for video submissions. You can find reference on the kickstarter site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.