Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Magic vs melee

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The spells a magic user on the path of truth starts out with are now sufficient to defeat low level mobs one by one, so thank you for that.

However, (as a "normal" non-GM player) I am still not really enjoying the overall experience of using a magic build (in my case earth and fire magic). Compared to pre-use based skill system releases (e.g. releases 16-18), the mage build feels ineffective. At adv level 51 it takes me an average of 4 ranged spells to kill one small brown spider in Kingsroad. Since each ranged spell takes time to cast, it is extremely hard to kite stronger mobs, because while my avatar stops to cast a spell, they are upon me. As in the past few releases my highest level skill is my melee weapon skill for this very reason.

When adventuring with someone who is a melee build, my ranged spells take so long to cast that more often than not the mob is dead before I even get my first shot off.

In R25 I managed to get most of my spells up in the 60s to 80s. My spells, especially Obsidian Arrow, were certainly more effective, but I still couldn't survive in scenes where I couldn't keep my distance against multiple mobs.

A few releases ago, my magic user donned plate mail and that helped immensely. I am at the point where I feel I have to try that again.

EDIT: I find the mage build to be a good support build when adventuring with a melee warrior against mages and archers.

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

the fire tree specializes in damage over time. most of its spells do not hit for a large initial ammount of damage, but instead over-stack dos repeatedly to build up mroe adn mroe damage over time.

The stone fist and obsidian arrow spells are one of the spell trees that are intended to work well with melee and havey armor, and get a damage bonus from Strengh.

Some stuff has changed with magic. Fire is potentially the most devistating but takes a bit of time to build up on the target. If you want to hit harder with obsidian arrow, try raising your strength

3. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

With the change to reagents, I feel that particular aspect of playing as a mage works much better now. I agree though, the damage in comparison to weapon combat feels low. With the exception of creatures that live for a good bit... fire magic does lots of damage to the trolls though, from what I've seen.

4. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

A mage build should be viable as a solo or support. I do not want my gameplay to be limited by the limitations placed upon a build that cannot go into the wilderness alone.

Shortina likes this.
  5. DuKe NuKeM

DuKe NuKeM Avatar

And the struggle of balance begins again .

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Noric

Noric Avatar

Out of curiosity, had the points spent on melee weapon skill been used on mage stuff - would increased spell strength have been worth anywhere near as much as the skill itself?

7. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

With the dawn of multiplayer gaming/PvP came this struggle of melee/magic balance. It's just how it is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.