Marking runes and travel?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Namodias, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stile

stile Avatar

But use at your own risk :)

Deathblow likes this.
  2. stile

stile Avatar

I haven't had such a great oppertuinty to use this quote in soooooo long..

"No matter how powerful the wizard a dagger in his back will seriously crimp his style"

And

"Mom taught me something she never taught you, guns"

Paraphrased a bit i believe. Likes to those who know the sources!

Orladin likes this.
  3. Gau2

Gau2 Avatar

I read the thread and remembered back to 98 when I started UO. I was a lumberjack/bowyer in Yew. I remember befriending a guy that owned a boat (he was rich ;-)). He agreed to take me to Britain with a huge load of heavy crossbows I had saved up. We had a perilous journey that took quite a while. Afterward I netted many thousand gold. It was quite an adventure. The NPC bowyers in Yew just couldn't buy in sufficient quantity like all the various shops in Britain could. I still remember that trip 15 years or so later.

So my point is, could transport ever be a real necessary service like it has always been in the real world? If you are going to walk and run and swing a sword, maybe some reward could come from getting on a boat and traveling ;-) Just a thought.

Hillel Slovak likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

Depends on how the economy is set up. If bows sell for the same price everywhere, you only need find the nearest vendor, and there is no need to travel. If vendors in Yew (to use an Ultima name) buy bows for more than they do in Trinsic, then it might pay you to haul bows to Yew. But then if banks are all interconnected, you wouldn't need to transport them. Instead, you'd just bank them in Trinsic, travel to Yew and take them out of the bank there. And if there is a Recall spell, that makes the whole thing questionable. Why should prices in one place be different with the existence of Recall?

There are many ways to make things like this more interesting, but that results in ripple effects in other parts of the game design. Good thing the devs are getting paid the big bucks to figure it all out.

jondavis likes this.
  5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

@Owain
    The only way I can think to make all those things work saying Yew offers the best price would be for the sale of large quantities.
    Keep the bank and your bags from storing to much stuff and make recall somewhat expensive.
    At this time though I don't even think we have a way to move large quantities but I do like the idea of moving goods to places where they pay the most.

6. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

He gave you the scenic route, Brit was SW of Yew :) or SE depending on how you look at it :)

7. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

So will there be the ability to Mark and Recall?

It was probably one of the best things about UO over other MMO's the ability to travel where you wished when you wished. Too many rules and regulations destroy good games. If you have just killed a noob and have gone grey or red then you have to wait before you can recall, I think the timeout was like 1 minute until you are no longer in battle. So no quick get away for Pkers. Should be pretty easy.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  8. stile

stile Avatar

They have said there will be something like this, but probably much more limited then what UO was. exact details haven't been indicated that I know of. Just that gates and runes will probably exist to some extent.

9. Hillel Slovak

Hillel Slovak Avatar

UO had a big map, recall made the world a little smaller. This map might not be as big, as the top down shows, the scale of your char to the town was disproportionate, town to dungeon was like a hop skip and a jump. Travelling was a big part in early UO, I liked it. Made for more random encounters.

10. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

This is the single most disappointing thing I've seen so far about SotA. That feeling of knowing the roadways of the game and how to get around the world of Britannia made things feel huge (like a real world :eek:). I see advantages in not having to run long distances to get everywhere, but with such convenience, recall and mark seem like they should at least be limited, lest the entire world feel like nothing more than a mid-sized room.

Phredicon and Hillel Slovak like this.
  11. Strongsquirrel1

Strongsquirrel1 Avatar

I tend to stay away from things that make traveling too easy. I continually here about how in WOW flying mounts ruined many areas with people able to just fly to their location and avoided all danger. I'm not against fast travel entirely, I just think it should happen from certain areas say city to city mattering on the moon gates.

Some problems I see with the old rune system:
    1. we are now on a dual layer map, will it be necessary.
    2. they said they will change out hexs, how will this affect your rune location.
    (runes may not pose a problem if you start out in the begging of a zone like everyone else, so this problem can be avoided)

Phredicon likes this.
  12. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Meh, it's really simple to prevent recall abuse. Recall has to have a cooldown of 1 hour, gate - two hours.
    Problem solved.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

It work both ways. Recall and gate was a way to get to your friends aid fast. I'm not sure if we will see any long travels in SOTA but i enjoy getting fast to where the action take place. In games where i have to travel for 30-60 minutes (Darkfall) i sometimes arrived when the fun was over.
    I would like to see some kind of gate or recall in the game if travel time to action spots exceed +15 minutes.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I fear this may simplify the issue too much. Some form of cooldown may be beneficial, but I don't think that cooldown timers alone can address the concerns raised. I'm in favor of simply making gating and recalls more expensive, so that gating and recalling are only used for more important and longer-distance travel. Due to a lack of information, I can't suggest exact rates, but i can suggest boundaries: If you can't recall into (or next to) a dungeon where your guild is being raided, then it is too expensive. On the other end, if you can recall from Minoc to Mt. Kimball, then its too cheap.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

More than just a long cool down is necessary. A long casting time should also be required, at least as long as the amount of time to log out safely.

16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Yes, I forgot to mention the long casting time, and didnt feel like eiditng my post.
    But I also think there should be a way to recall quickly. Like maybe trough using some additional reagent.
    Something like emergency recalling that can be used from time to time but not often.

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you have a quick recall, then you are back to the problems recall caused in UO. I would rather suffer the occasional disaster myself than see a repeat of those problems.

18. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

Giving Gate too long a cooldown time will make it difficult for someone to gather all their friends together, then head out to wherever on the map it was you were planning to play. Going to a couple of towns to fetch the lower-level players who couldn't easily fast travel themselves and bring them to your HQ, then taking everyone to the dungeon, then taking everyone home after, could easily mean 10 Gate spells in a 2 hour period.

A "solution" that stops people doing this does too much harm to group lay to be a viable solution.

I'd suggest that Recall & Gate simply don't work in combat, but have no cooldowns or anything outside combat. That way, "travel" uses are all fine, and "abuse" uses are prevented.

As for emergency Recalls (which would be very handy for going home from the bottom of the dungeon when you're about to log out in solo play too...), that could be a separate spell, with the cooldown etc. and perhaps with a much higher casting cost.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Moongates...

20. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

Yes - if they go everywhere. In UO, for example, they went to the main towns, but not to player-built towns or to dungeons - so casting gates was necessary to get around.

From the descriptions of them we've had thus far, they only seem to link a limited number of core locations, UO style, rather than being a go-anywhere fast-travel system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.