Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Vyrin, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 39: New Arrival

Day 244, post adventum

This morning, I left early to catch up with Morgaine before work. It's a good thing I did. As I walked up to her stand, I could tell she looked distracted.

"Morning Morgaine, everything all right?"

"Yes, well kind of, I guess. I'm glad you're here, I need to show you something. 'Lyssa, cover for me?"

Lyssa was talking to one of the local gossip mongers. "Again? What's my cut this time?"

"Same as always, my undying affection and gratitude."

Lyssa smirked. "Doesn't sell very well."

Morgaine said a quick thanks, grabbed my hand and led me back out of the keep toward her house. She was moving so fast we were almost there before I could ask, "What's this all about?"

"You'll see." When we arrived, she unlocked the door and opened it in one smooth push.

Sitting in the entry room were Donna, the wife of Allen the guard, and a young teen girl. Donna stood. Morgaine introduced them. "Mark, you know Donna, but this is Avery. She just arrived." Donna nodded. Avery looked up at me and blinked.

Morgaine sat down next to Avery on the couch and took her hand. "Avery, Mark is from your world. He's a good man." She winked at me. "He'll be able to understand."

I said, "Hello Avery, it's nice to meet you. Where are you from?"

"Ellijay, Georgia."

"You go to school there?" Avery nodded. "I'm a freshman."

Morgaine said, "This is why I need you Mark, I don't know what that means."

"Happy to help, but let me figure out how Avery got here first. What happened this morning?"

"Morning? I went for a run after school in the woods behind my house. I'm on the cross country team. Today I was feeling great. I was running faster and feeling better than I ever had before. I came to a break in the woods and kept running. I started seeing all these crazy houses. I had no idea where I was. I stopped."

Morgaine patted Avery's hand. "She just happened to stop right in front of my door as I was leaving for the day. I found her just like this."

Avery was wearing navy track pants with gold piping and a gold shirt with the letters, "EHS".

I didn't know what to say. All I could manage was, "That's remarkable."

Avery said, "Mark, when Morgaine found me I realized I didn't have my phone. I must have dropped it. I didn't even realize my music had stopped. I've got to figure out how to contact my Mom." She started to sniffle. Morgaine reached around and hugged her close. Donna frowned in sympathy.

I said, "Avery, this is complicated. I'm sure you're starting to figure out you're in a very different place."

Avery said, "Maybe I can just head back the way I came." Donna turned and said, "It would seem to make sense child, but that hasn't been possible for others who've come here, like Mark."

I said, "Avery, I came here like you. I'm from Minnesota. I know it's hard to believe, but somehow we've been transported to a whole different world. There are others like us too. None of us have found a way back yet."

Avery stood up, "That's not possible. Just not possible." She looked at each of us in turn and could see the truth of it in our eyes. She frowned and flopped back down next to Morgaine.

I said, "You're lucky. You were found by one of the best people here." Morgaine's eyes widened at the compliment, and she smiled at me. "She will take good care of you in this big comfortable house. Donna can stay with you while Morgaine works today."

Donna said, "Yes, we're just going to stay inside, and I'll try to answer your questions."

I said, "I have to work now too, but when I'm done, I'll swing back here. We can go and search the woods and see if we find anything. But please don't get your hopes up."

Avery sank back further into the couch and looked off into the distance. I said, "You're going to be ok." She then gave me one of those vulnerable child looks that young teens can still do. It would melt any decent person's heart. It hit me hard, and I felt a lump in my throat. I had no idea children could arrive here too.

I didn't have time to reflect on the injustice of it all. I was afraid I was going to lose my composure, so I said my good-byes and headed back to Lord Enmar's office.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 40: The Getaway

Day 252, post adventum

This morning, there was a knock on the cottage door. Usually this would be unnerving, but I had been expecting it.

"Good to see you Devon."

"You ready to go?"

"Always am. You see what this cottage looks like! The few things I want to keep I hide elsewhere."

Devon looked in and surveyed the place. "My duties don't allow me that sort of freedom anymore, I'm jealous."

"Well freedom is a curious thing, there are good and bad types."

"See this is why I wanted to bring you along. You know how to start the strangest conversations! Most of my fellow guards can barely mumble. But save it for the road. We've got a long ride down to Righ Inis. We'll take our time and get into all sorts of topics."

I grabbed the pack Morgaine had lent me and filled with food. "So I know you said you've got this cabin on the lake there, but I was thinking. How do you keep it safe since you hardly get a chance to get down there? How are you sure someone doesn't move in or some beast doesn't make it into a new lair, or even just tear it down."

"Well back before I joined the guard, I'd look for adventure."

"There's that word again. Sometimes I think it's used too much around here."

"Anyway, there was a young enchanter who was creating some dangerous items down in the swamp. I heard the rumors, took a few of my pals and went to stop him."

"We traveled that bog up and down and couldn't find his hideout. Never had so many mosquito bites in my life! The locals told us that yeah, people would come from different places, buy stuff and then go. We found the pattern of where they came and went. This led us to the delivery guy who worked for the enchanter. We trailed him into the swamp until the enchanter appeared out of nowhere, placed his hands on the guy's shoulders and walked him forward. After a couple of steps, they just disappeared."

"Invisibility?"

"Not exactly. We had to be patient, but we established after a second trip that the delivery guy ran the same route. So we knew the enchanted was somehow at that exact spot. So the next time, when the enchanter appeared, my friend Astra rooted him. We were able to get him to tell us what was going on. He didn't want to fight us, so he gave us stuff. He was rich. We made him promise to stop his little trade or next time we'd bring an army and tear down his tower."

"Tower? Is that what was there?"

"Yeah, his tower was there all along. He had created what he called a shield stone. It made anyone who looked at or approached the tower just not see it. Even if you knew it was there and you tried to walk toward it, you would veer off around it without noticing or knowing why. Anyone he brought into the tower he had to walk forward and keep them from veering until they got past the effect."

"I would say that comes in handy keeping your sanctuary safe down by the lake."

"Yeah I made him switch its effect to me. My cabin won't ever be touched, and I can always choose who I bring in."

"I guess adventuring does have its rewards."

"Well let's get going, want to spend as much time on that lake as we can, fishing for dinner! Grab your pack. The horses are outside. The stable master didn't mind loaning you a horse for some reason. Didn't charge me!"

"Yeah, he's a good fellow."

"Ok, you can tell me about that on the way too."

"Wait, I'm the one who likes to focus on other people."

"Everyone needs a break now and then."

3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 41: Snow Angels

Day 260, post adventum

Yesterday night, low and heavy clouds covered Owl's Head in a rare six inches of snow. Waking early, I tromped all the way to Morgaine's with an idea. I wanted to enlist Avery's help, but I had to wait a few hours until she woke up; she is a teen after all. Morgaine was more than happy to chat over eggs and tea.

Avery considered my plan and eventually conceded. She hadn't been venturing out much, so I was relieved she agreed to it. I brought her down to a wide flat spot by the river and started to build two snow forts. We tried to follow the pattern of the keep walls of the nearby lord, turrets and all. As we worked, word spread. Children started showing up to help. Of course, the goal was not just to build forts. The final job was to stock them with an ample supply of snowballs. Someone arrived with a sled piled with boxes and boxes of them that she must have made herself.

By the time I spoke to get everyone's attention, around fifty children had sorted themselves into two teams. Morgaine watched from the sidelines with a group of parents. Every so often she would run back inside and carry out a tray of mugs with spiced cider.

I walked between the forts waving my arms until I was just out of the line of fire. "Children, let's begin!" I had to repeat this three more times before everyone stopped chattering. "Long ago, two ancient kingdoms fought for control of our world. Each had a powerful ruler."

The team to my left included Joshua's brother, Martin. He was racing toward six feet even though he was about the same age as Avery. "On this side, was King Joshua." He raised his arms to cheer and the children on his team followed his lead.

"King Joshua, please state the name of your kingdom."

He paused for a moment. When he spoke his voice sounded loud in the clear, cold air as if he were making a serious proclamation. "The Eternal Empire of the Frost Dragons." Before anyone could react, the smallest child in the fort added, "and monkeys." The children on his team cheered and roared and made monkey noises. Martin picked up the little guy, and everyone congratulated him on the fine addition to the name.

After a minute or so, I quieted the children again. "Ok, thank you. The other kingdom was ruled by Queen Avery!" She turn to stare at me wide-eyed. "Queen Avery, please state the name of your kingdom." She paused for a good minute until I was afraid she might say nothing. Everyone was turned toward her, and I could see Morgaine giving me a look that very clearly stated, "I hope you know what you're doing." Of course, I didn't.

Things were so quiet when Avery finally did speak that everyone heard her perfectly. She smirked and said, "Georgia."

No one seemed quite sure of the name. But after a few moments, a little tyke started stamping around, chanting, "Jor-Ja, Jor-Ja, Jor-Ja". Soon, everyone on the team was shouting it at the top of their lungs.

After I was able to get quiet again, I said, "Here today we reenact the great battle between The Eternal Kingdom..." Martin's team shouted, "Empire!" I continued, "Yes, sorry, the Eternal Empire of the Frost Dragons... and monkeys... versus Georgia. King Martin and Queen Avery, please get your armies ready for battle." The frenzy to grab ammunition and find defensive spots soon settled in anticipation.

"Ready, Three... Two... One... Fight!" A blizzard of snowballs flew up at all angles. Some intersected each other and exploded into clouds of snow, sparkling down to earth in the weak sunlight. Sounds of all types flew out down the river and across the smoky rooftops of the town. A squeel from a successful hit here, a grunt from impact there. A few times a small child would start to cry and get extracted by a parent. All in all though, everyone was having a great time.

Just when the snowballs started to run out and the children were using the fortifications for a fresh supply, Avery turned and looked across the fort at me. She smirked again. "My soldiers, a troll has come to join the fight, kill the troll!" Before I could react, a snowball was on an arrow-straight course directly towards me. It hit me square in the chest, and when I brought my arms up, my feet started to slide. For a moment I flailed about trying to stay standing while a hundred snowballs launched in my direction. My clumsiness seemed to the children like I was eager to play the part and only encouraged volley after volley. I could do nothing but fall down and pretend rather dramatically that I was slain. I lied there thinking, "when did she learn about trolls?"

Avery shouted, "The troll has been slain, we are all victorious!" On my back, I laughed as both forts erupted into cheers. Children climbed over the walls and congratulated each other. A few parents rushed over to help me stand. As I did, a few little demons pelted my backside. When I turned, I could not tell who did it. I started to laugh, longer and harder than I had so far in this world.

Adam Crow and Doctor like this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 42: Missing the Point

Day 266, post adventum

Yesterday night, I drifted home exhausted after a long day with Lord Enmar. He works even harder now to hold things together in the Vale, so he asked me to return at dawn.

All I wanted to do was fall into bed. However, as I approached my cottage in the dusk, the end of one of the logs forming the front wall drew my eye. It looked frayed. Walking forward, I found five arrows in a tight cluster. I stood and just stared at them for a while. Soon enough, fear started to work its way through the fog of tiredness. Adrenaline brought clarity. I grabbed the arrows, turned and hurried to Morgaine’s.

When she answered her door, I held out the arrows. “Can I stay with you tonight?”

A slow smile grew as she thought of the best response. “Oh Mark, do you always have to be so forward?”

I couldn’t help but chuckle. “No, well, I mean, I just don’t feel comfortable staying at my place tonight.”

She grabbed my arm and brought me into the kitchen. Avery was eating a plate of chicken and boiled potatoes. Avery looked up at me and nodded but kept eating.

Morgaine sat down at the table. “Ok Mark, what’s going on?”

“When I got home tonight, I found these shot into my front wall.” Avery stopped chewing and stared at the arrows. “There was no one around as far as I can tell, but five arrows seems too many to be an accident.”

Morgaine said, “Well I’m glad you didn’t stay there. Who knows what it could be. Maybe we could go check with Theo tomorrow morning. He might know whose arrows they are.”

“That’s a good idea, but I have to work right away again, and Theo isn’t the friendliest to me right now.”

“Oh right. Well, I know someone else who might be able to help.”

“I thought Theo was pretty much the only weaponsmith here.”

“Well, I might know a smuggler who has traded in a lot of weapons.”

“What? Morgaine, I thought you were a respectable business woman!” I smirked. Avery used her hand to cover her mouth so she could laugh through the chicken.

“Now, now Mark. You don’t get to be a good business woman without knowing everything that’s out there. This guy is not so much a smuggler. He just tries to satisfy demand for more unique items. Sometimes the business people around here get too set in making the things they want to make. There’s a whole wide world of stuff out there, and people want it.”

“Well where does this smuggler hide out?”

“He doesn’t really hide, he just operates out of a small place downriver.”

“Well, I still can’t get there tomorrow.”

“I’ll take a break from the stall and do it for you, Avery can watch it for a bit with ‘Lyssa’s help.” Avery stared at Morgaine, but shrugged her shoulders and got back to eating.

The plan set, Morgaine got a few blankets, and I slept peacefully on the coach.

The next morning, when I told Lord Enmar what happened, he sent a patrol to scout the area around my cottage. They found nothing. Morgaine popped in later and said that the arrows were quite unique, of Kobold manufacture. When Lord Enmar heard that, he sighed and his shoulders sagged. Strange Kobold weaponry was not among the almost exhaustive list of things he was worried about.

He turned to me, “Well Mark, I don’t know what to tell you, you’re welcome to bunk here with the guard if you need to.” Morgaine frowned. I said, “Well, I’m going to assume the arrows have nothing to do with me since I wasn’t there at the time. If it’s all the same, I think I’ll just take my chances there.” Morgaine’s frown deepened.

“Ok Mark. I’ll make sure the guard walks the area on their nightly rounds. If you notice anything else, let me know right away.”

Addendum, Day 273

It’s been a quiet week at the cottage, I can’t imagine the arrows are anything to worry about. It fits though. Why wouldn’t I be grazed by all the unexplained phenomena that happen every day around here?

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 43: Tiredness Goeth Before a Fall

Day 273, post adventum

Two days ago, the mayor of Kingsport arrived to visit Lord Enmar in Owl's Head. Meetings and negotiations meant I needed to take notes full time. I skipped a night of sleep so that I could have things ready for review before the mayor left yesterday. Not surprisingly, I don't remember leaving Lord Enmar's office after everything was done. Unfortunately, I awakened with a jolt to the head and the sound of a child wailing in terror.

As my senses returned, I found myself sprawled next to the fountain in the middle of the market. I must have walked straight into the screaming toddler. Not many in the noisy market seemed to realize what had happened. I tried to get up to see if the child was hurt. I only got to my knees before the mother ran in and scooped her up. As I tried to stand so I could apologize, the woman backed away from me with a horrified look on her face. Behind her, a man appeared who examined the little girl. He found bright red scratches running down her arm. He turned to me and his eyes narrowed.

As the man approached, I managed to stand after a few wobbles. More people noticed something unusual taking place and started to move closer.

"Filthy outlander, look what you did to my daughter!"

I only managed a stammering "I" before he continued.

"You don't give a damn for our children do you? Take our stuff, kill our children, what does it matter, right?"

Even with the noisy fountain, now everyone was alerted and started to gather.

"You and your kind don't really give a damn about what you do here, filthy pigs."

I heard a voice behind me. It was Tom. "Hey, we've helped grow and build this town. If it weren't for us, this place would have fallen apart already, what of your daughter then?" The child was still screaming.

The man grabbed the front of my shirt and pulled his arm back. I turned my head and closed my eyes waiting for the hit. Instead, hair brushed my face, and I heard the rustle of a familiar red dress.

"Sam Simon don't you dare." I opened my eyes to the back of Morgaine's head. The man let go of my shirt.

"You protect this scum?"

Tom spoke at my side, his voice filled with indignation. "Sir, I suggest you take your insults back."

I finally managed to speak. "Tom, no. It's ok. I... I think I just walked into the child. I'm sorry, very sorry. I'm just tired."

"You think it matters whether you're sorry? Why don't you just be sorry for being here in the first place!"

Those in the market now formed a tight ring around us and were starting to call out all manner of things. Just when I thought Sam would reach out around Morgaine to punch me, two guards broke through the crowd. One of them was Richard.

"Ok people, let's back away and return to what you were doing."

Sam turned on Richard. "Did you see what this puke did to my daughter?" Richard just stared back at him. Sam waited for an answer. Eventually, he could do nothing but return to his wife and daughter, grumbling under his breath all the way. He pushed through the onlookers and escorted them out of the market.

Richard turned to me, "Son, get home. Things are tense enough around here." Morgaine said, "But he didn't mean anything, he just wasn't watching where he was going." Richard stared at her.

Tom said, "Come on Mark, I'll take you back to my place. I can get one of our healers over for that bump on your head."

"No Tom, no. I'm fine. I just need to get home and get some sleep. I'll be fine, I'm sure."

Morgaine said, "You need someone to go with you Mark." She walked over to the ring of onlookers and pulled out Avery. "Here Mark, Avery will go with you and make sure you get home."

"Ok. I am sorry."

Tom said, "You don't have to be sorry to that jerk, Mark. He's just a local blowhard."

Avery grabbed my hand and started to pull me home.

I tried to speak a little louder so everyone could hear. "I really am sorry. I'm just tired. I'm so sorry."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Doctor likes this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 44: Something Fishy

Day 276, post adventum

Ever since the incident at the fountain, I've been keeping a low profile. However this morning, while I was walking in the shadow of Theo's awning on my way to the barracks, Lyssa called out to me. Loudly.

"Hey Mark, stop skulking over there and come here. I need your help."

Reluctantly, I stepped into the light and rushed over to her stand. She watched me the whole way, with a curious look on her face.

"Well look, that bump on your head is going down. I wished it'a knocked more sense into you though."

"What do you mean?"

"Get over yourself and stop hiding. Now here..." She picked up a basket of swirlfish and shoved it in my face. "Do you think these fish smell bad?"

"Whoa!" I stepped back a few paces from all the googly eyes. "I don't even like fish, and you're asking me?" She stepped forward to invite me again to take a whiff, and I stepped back. This continued for a few times until she turned and set the basket back on the counter.

I moved back in closer. "Why are you asking?"

"These were caught yesterday, and I want to see if I can still sell them today. I need an uneducated opinion." She smirked.

"Wait, you're trying to pawn off rotten fish on your customers?"

"Mark, Mark... sometimes fish can last a little longer. Most people won't even notice it. Heck, most cook it until it's charcoal anyway. I can always direct my discriminating customers to better choices."

"Lyssa, that's terrible. You should just give away what you don't sell at the end of the day."

"What? Are you crazy? I need all the money I can get. Besides, people know. When they buy things in a market, they cook it well because of all the merchants who trick people into buying grossly rotten food. You think Morgaine only sells the freshest cuts?"

"She's only served me the freshest." I gave her a toothy grin. She rolled her eyes.

"Mark seriously, we can't go wasting food or profits around here."

"What about getting some ice to keep the fish fresher longer?"

"Ice? Sure it's cold now but how would I do that once it warms up?"

"I met Zannon about three months ago... he could make ice for you. In fact, he could use some work. Hey that's a great idea... all the merchants could get ice from him!"

"Have you seen Zannon around lately?"

"No."

"Well Mark, you go hunt Zannon and handle the crazy thoughts." She swirled her hand over her head, and I guessed what she meant. She turned and started arranging the day's early catch out of a large crate and into baskets.

"Beautiful to see you too again, Lyssa." I tipped my imaginary hat. She waved me away as I turned to walk across the plaza and start the day.

7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 45: Smoke Signals

Day 284, post adventum

Paul delivered some fresh chicken two days ago. When I invited him inside, he started sniffing the air.

"Mark, when was the last time you had your chimney cleaned."

"Well, I take the ashes out regularly and put them in a box out back. Morgaine said we can use them for a garden once it warms up."

"No, not the hearth itself, the chimney." He pointed above the hearth and moved his arm up and down.

"Oh, you mean the part that lets the smoke out." Paul nodded slowly as if surprised I didn't get his original meaning. "Do you need to clean it? How would you clean it?"

"You mean you haven't cleaned it since you moved in?"

"Nope."

"It's amazing your cottage is still here Mark! This place was abandoned for years, and it's starting to smell awfully smokey in here."

"I guess I hadn't noticed. I've never had a fireplace before."

"Look Mark, tomorrow I'm going to send over my friend Orin. He's a chimney sweep. He'll get you fixed up and you'll notice a big difference once it's clean."

Sure enough, Orin came over early yesterday and knelt down to look up the chimney. "Goodness man, there's barely any room left for the smoke to get out. I've never seen one this bad!" I didn't know what to say. "Well, I guess I've never had a hearth before."

"I've got to get my brushes and get up on that roof, but first..." He went outside and brought back in a tarp which he secured to the wall and weighted with rocks. "There's gonna be a lot of junk that comes down when I clean this... can be some pretty strange stuff too. How bad are the rodents here?"

The thought made me feel a little queasy. I hated having to put up with rodents, it had taken me a while to get used to them. The cottage just isn't constructed solidly enough. Well, very few buildings here are.

Since I didn't answer the question, Orin just shrugged and went outside again. Soon enough I heard him climbing a ladder onto the roof. Eventually a shower of debris started flowing down inside the hearth. When it was over, Orin removed the tarp and shoveled out bucket-fulls of charred fragments.

"What do you want to do with the creosote Mark? Some of it can be useful for milling."

"Don't do it and don't know anyone who does."

"You could sell it for a few gold."

"Well, give it to Paul, he might have a use for it."

"Ok."

As he was dragging the last bucketful outside, he turned and said, "Mark, you're one of those avatars, right?"

"Well, I guess so, but I hear some strange things said about avatars, so I'm not sure."

"Yeah, you guys are supposed to fulfill a prophecy about saving the world."

"See, that's why I'm not sure I'm an avatar."

"Hmmm. I imagined avatars would be, well, different, not like the rest of us here."

"Well some try to be very different. I'm not a big one for prophecy anyway."

"Yeah, you don't really seem the avatar type." I appreciated the comment, but he must have realized I could be insulted. "Uh, I mean, you're just a normal, decent sort."

"Don't worry, I took it as a compliment."

"Well, alright then. Mark, I'll come back next year at the end of winter and do this again."

"What do I owe you?"

"Nothing this time, I owed Paul a favor, this is getting me out of it."

"Well, ok, thanks."

"Hey, cleaning that chimney, I probably saved your life. Look who's the avatar now!"

"You can take the job, be my guest."

"Done. Good talking to you Mark, stay safe."

8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 46: Enemies Closer

Day 289, post adventum

Today dawned cold with winds that couldn't decide whether they'd rather blow snow, sleet, or rain into my face. As I arrived at Lord Enmar's office, he was making small talk with his first appointment. The man was tall with greasy black hair and a brown cape decorated with a hunting scene in gold thread. I had never met him, but had heard much. He was Lord Thomas Hilverson. Who knew how he got the title Lord; the titles in this land only confuse me. However, everyone knew that you dare not address him as anything but. He owned a large estate on the Western shore of the Vale which provided much needed fish, grain, and vegetables to the region.

"Good morning, Mark, such as it is. This is Lord Hilverson." Here, a bow is seen as a respectful form of greeting. But as made the gesture, the man kept his eyes fixed on Lord Enmar. "Can we now get down to business? City life is not for me. I would much prefer to get back to greener surroundings."

"Certainly."

"Now Enmar, you know how valuable my operations are to the life of the Vale. So I must request that you do something to take care of the problems pouring out of that damnable old keep on the north shore of Righ Inis."

Lord Hilverson described what sounded like minor disturbances interrupting his deliveries of foodstuffs to Owl's Head. Enmar did his best to convey what he had learned through his scouts. When he tried to suggest that the shipments be diverted a little farther south for safety, Lord Hilverson bristled.

"Enmar, look. You are, for lack of anything better, the commander tasked with keeping the Vale safe. These are true dangers, one would think there would be much more that could be done."

Although I was still writing, I watched Enmar's reaction carefully. He seemed quite unfazed.

"Lord Hilverson, you have a good militia, and have done well defending your estate against our present troubles. I have much larger concerns I need to address in the south, things that make what's happening at Righ Inis look like a lakeside party." Lord Enmar was never very good at humor. Instead of lightening the mood, Lord Hilverson grew more incensed.

"Look Enmar, I am well informed and know what you face. I hope you aren't suggesting that I take care of the safety of the Vale."

"No, I was simply suggesting that in light of pressing priorities, for now, your caravans could simply adjust their routes."

"Preposterous. Are we simply that incapable here that we must allow new difficulties to spread? Where will it end?"

"Honestly, Lord Hilverson, I don't know. I do know we are marshaling all the resources we can to deal with things."

Lord Hilverson gave such a disdainful harrumph that I have never heard it's like and and probably won't in the future. His cloak swayed elegantly with the force of it. In response, Lord Enmar only switched to inquiring about more mundane matters in the west. Answers were given, as curtly and succinctly as possible. At least Lord Hilverson didn't storm out. But Enmar's endurance for such behavior waned, and he finally bid him farewell.

As I was organizing my papers and preparing for the next appointment. Enmar simply looked at me, and said, "It's ok, Mark, you can ask."

"Well, since you know what I'm going to ask, let me ask it in a more thoughtful way." I paused. "There are so many good people who quietly go about their business supporting your work for the safety of the Vale. They need your help and attention too. Yet a huge part of your time goes to listening to the egocentric, petty, and selfish. Why?"

His response reflected a surprising and rare wisdom. "Those who are good suffer in many ways, Mark. Leaders like myself need them and their support, but we must rely on the fact that they will freely and uncomplainingly give it. That is because we need the support that the others can provide too. I can't change those who are difficult, but by spending time with them, I can maximize what I know and what I'm able to do for the Vale. Believe me, I would prefer not to spend time with the likes of Lord Hilverson, but doing so makes things better for all the people I serve. It is the challenge of leadership in these troubling times."

"Well, I don't know if I could do it. But I do admire you for it."

"You are doing it, you have to hear and write down all those nasty remarks. And Lord Hilverson is not the worst you've seen."

"No." I chuckled. It lightened the mood.

"I'm glad you're one of the good ones Mark, now let's get ready to meet the representatives from the mining guild."

9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 47: Paper Thin

Day 296, post adventum

I realize now that I overestimated my need for wood when Devon and I went out to chop trees a few months back. Sure the winter in Owl's Head can be cold and damp, especially in an uninsulated cottage. Yet there were days, and even a week sometimes, where the weather would be sunny, dry and warm. Surely Devon must have known. Perhaps he just wanted me to practice taking down trees. Or perhaps he didn't trust that I'm hardier than I look. Either way, there was quite a surplus stacked by the back wall under the eaves.

What I really needed, though, was paper. The lone bookseller in town, Alvin, was also the lone paper maker. He had grown increasingly wary of providing the supply I needed to keep up with Lord Enmar. It became more and more uncomfortable as he carefully doled out his stock to his regular customers. Some days I had barely enough. I had started writing without margins, but even that was no longer helping.

I wanted to try to pulp the wood and start making paper myself, but I needed to learn how. Asking Alvin to teach me was a delicate matter. He had seven young children, and there might not be enough demand if I started supplying for Lord Enmar. Alvin didn't seem that warm towards me to begin with. Furthermore, the publicity it could generate, as another outlander taking away the livelihood of a native, would be troubling. Theo still was quite cold to me and still vociferous about the outlanders' need to be self-sustaining. Yet I was strongly pressed by the need for paper, so I devised an appeal that Alvin might accept.

As I entered his shop, Alvin was sitting there reading. He cocked an eyebrow. "I don't usually see you this early Mark. Do you already need more paper? What about the thirty sheets I sold you yesterday afternoon?"

"No, it's not that. I have a favor to ask." Alvin's other eyebrow arched. "Oh?"

"Yes, and before you say no, hear me out. I've needed a greater amount of paper for Lord Enmar." Alvin's eyes narrowed. "And I have a great deal of wood at my house." Alvin closed his book and set it aside. When he looked back, his brow was furrowed. I decided to continue. "Knowing how hard it is on you being the only paper maker in Owl's Head, I was hoping that you would teach me how to do it."

"Well, Mark, that's quite..."

"Before you answer, I would guarantee to continue to buy whatever amount you want. I know you're trying to raise a big family."

"Well, it's a strange..."

"So I would only make whatever I needed that you couldn't provide. I want to write with margins again."

Alvin sat back. "Margins, huh? Can I say something now?"

"Sure."

"I've been worried that the time would come when an outlander might try to learn my craft. I've been luckier than most." I waited for the no that would surely follow. "Yet, my teenage children show no interest in learning how to make paper. They all want to join the guard... see more of the world." He sighed. "I have to look out not just for my family, but what's best for Owl's Head. I'm worried that I have no backup."

"I'm willing to work with you to make sure your income doesn't get hurt."

"Mark, I'm not worried about that. You probably don't know the significant investment it takes in terms of equipment. There's no way you could get another wood pulper like I've got down in my basement. No one is making them here, and we couldn't get another from the mainland right now if we wanted. Even if you could, you'd have to acquire all sorts of tables and frames." He chuckled. "And there's no way William is going to sell you the chemicals needed for the process." Even after some months, William was still upset about the incident at the play. I had to admit it would be too hard to set up my own operation.

"So here's the deal. What if you become an apprentice of sorts. I pay for your labor and any wood you supply, but the paper you make stays here. Your help would increase the supply, and you can then buy as much as you want. Once you get the knack of it, you shouldn't have to put in more than a couple hours every few days."

"Lord Enmar keeps me pretty busy. And every so often I deliver meat to Morgaine from some friends down south."

"It's fine, Mark. It's the kind of work you can do as you have time. Here, why don't we head down to the basement and I can show you my operations." He called upstairs to one of his children to come down and watch for customers.

The basement was far larger than I expected from the simple hatch used to enter it. There were strong stone walls, many rooms, and even a few separate levels. Alvin used it not just to make paper, but books as well. There were printing presses and all manner of ingredients in piles against the walls and in bottles on shelves.

He went to one room that had a hole in the wall through which daylight shone indirectly. "My wood suppliers slide the logs down this hole. Here's the wood pulper."

He showed me many more things, but one thing in particular caught my attention. "You say this bucket has all the wood pulp you get from one good-sized tree?"

"Yes"

"How is that possible? Those logs are enormous. At this rate, it would take many trees to make a sheet of paper!"

"And your point is?"

"Well, I don't know much about making paper where I'm from, but we use a lot of it. If that's all the pulp you got from one tree, we'd have no more trees left in our world." I immediately realized the surplus in my wood pile wouldn't amount to much paper at all.

"You mean where you're from it doesn't take five trees to make a sheet of paper?"

"Goodness, no. But I know materials are very strange and different here."

"Well, strange is a matter of perspective. Are you having second thoughts about making paper?"

"No, I'll be honest though. I tried to think through it all before I spoke with you, I didn't realize how much there was to the process."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but most outlanders don't respect the complexities of our land."

"I've got a lot to learn still I guess. Maybe I was getting too comfortable after being here for a while."

"Not a problem at all Mark, so let's get started."

10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 48: A Grateful Place

Day 304, post adventum

Morgaine, Avery, and I decided to take a walk around town this evening. Frequent rain had turned the streets outside the keep into muddy obstacle courses. We were all looking down, watching every step. Avery said what we were all thinking, "why does it rain so much here?"

Morgaine tried to explain, "oh, it's just the time of year. Warmer air has started to creep in from the west. It gets bottled up by the mountains to the north and all the water gets dumped on Owl's Head."

I wanted to say that there seemed to be more to it than that, but Avery responded, "well a little less would be nice once in a while. Not having real roads really stinks." Morgaine raised her eyebrows, and was about to speak, but stopped. Our moods were becoming stuck in the mud too. I suggested we take a break, climb up the big pile of rocks across from Fire Lotus Tavern, and sit for a while. Because of the natural slope that leads up to the keep, it affords a sweeping view to the south. Once we were seated on top, Morgaine said, "it's funny, I've lived here so long and never come up here, but the view is wonderful."

I suggested we take the conversation in a new direction to get away from focusing on the rain. "I feel like I've been here long enough that the newness has worn off. But I've learned to like many things about this place. Why don't we take turns saying what we appreciate here?"

Avery's hand shot up. "Ooh ooh! I really love the moon tower. It's so different. I could watch the sparks on it for hours, and the sound in the distance when I'm sleeping somehow makes me feel safer." "That's the spirit," I said.

Morgaine cocked her head. "Ok, I know this is a cheap attempt to try to make us less gloomy, but I'll play along. I like the flowers that Theo plants outside his shop. He seems a strange sort to be so interested in flowers, but it brightens up all that heavy stone in the plaza."

Avery's hand shot up again. "Oh! Even though I don't have any money, I like seeing all the things for sale on the road leading out of town." I said, "Are you going to let me take a turn?" Morgaine said, "Now Mark, hold on, she's right about that. Outlanders bring in all sorts of strange things that are fun to look through. Which reminds me, Avery, we need to go on a shopping trip for some new clothes for you."

Avery brightened up, "Really? You know I saw the best blouse ever down at one of the vendors the other day."

I had to interrupt. "Ok you two. My turn."

Morgaine said, "I suppose you're going to say something really profound like you're thankful for meeting us?" She brought her hand to her chest, grinned and waved her head. Avery giggled.

"No, nothing like that." Morgaine folded her arms and frowned. "Ok, be that way. Isn't this game supposed to cheer us up?"

I rolled my eyes. "You know what I mean. Of course I'm grateful to have met you. But I kind of was thinking about this place. Owl's Head, you know?"

"Well, I'm a fixture here, aren't I?" Both of them laughed. "We're just kidding around Mark, it really is your turn. I do want to hear what you like."

"I really am grateful for my cottage. I've never lived in such a beautiful spot with woods and a view of mountains right out my back door."

Avery though for a moment. "Why don't you live with us Mark? It's closer in town and we still see the mountains."

Morgaine winked. "Yeah, Mark, why don't you live with us? It's safer too."

"What, live with girls? Ewwww...."

Avery responded quickly, "We're no girls, we're distinguished ladies of the court! Anyone would jump at the chance!"

Morgaine said, "Wow, Avery, you role play that noble air quite well."

"Thanks! It would be fun to have one of the titles I hear people using." I was glad the topic shifted off my living situation.

"Ok Avery, it's your turn again."

"I love climbing down the back wall of the keep and hanging out with my friends in the woods there."

I was surprised. "What? Behind the keep? Friends?"

Morgaine said, "Oh Mark, the local teens love to hang out back there, away from the watchful eyes of us stodgy grown-ups."

"Well ok, but who are these friends?"

Morgaine spoke again, "What, you think she would just hang out alone all day at my place?"

"Well, no I guess, but that's outside the fence."

Avery said, "Yeah I know! That's what's fun about it."

I was about to speak again about my concerns, but Morgaine interrupted. "Wasn't this what we were just talking about? You live outside the fence Mark!"

"Well, I'm....."

"You're what? A big, strong man? You'd have no more luck with a skellie than Avery would... come on!" Unfortunately the topic had shifted back to my living situation.

I grinned. "You know what. I just want to say how grateful I am for both of you." They laughed. Avery said, "Even though I'm just a poor, defenseless young girl, I see what you're doing." Morgaine clapped. "She's got you there, Mark."

"Well then, let me say that I like the river that runs through Owl's Head. I cross over it all the time, and it reminds me how mysterious things are. The water we see had to come through all sorts of things we can't know and will one day flow past all sorts of things we can only imagine. All we can do is enjoy it now, here, in only this one spot."

Avery said, "I like the way you think Mark. That's very deep." Morgaine nodded. "You made it hard to say much after that. But it is true. I wouldn't be up on these rocks, looking out at the city if you hadn't been born in some far off world and woken up here."

There was much I could say, but all I could manage was, "it's a good place to be."

11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 49: Help Wanted

Day 311, post adeventum

Every time I return to Arren and Myna's farm, I always make sure to walk past the pig pen. I don't tend to be sentimental, but for some reason, I enjoy remembering my first day in the Vale. For most of my life I never felt particularly lucky, but that day I managed to hit the jackpot.

As I approached the farm house, I could hear the thud of axes. It was an unfamiliar sound. Arren was usually tending crops in the morning when I arrived. I was a little nervous until I could finally see what was happening. Several men had framed a new rectangular structure, not far from the farm house. As I stood there to take in this unfamiliar scene, Arren spotted me and left the log he was splitting to come over and say hello. There were three children playing a game of tag around the grain silo.

"Hiya Mark, great to see you!" His smile reassured me that everything was fine. It wasn't a second later that Myna appeared at the door with Larren strapped to her side. Even with the baby, she ran up to give me a long hug. "Always so good to see you, come in, let's get you some breakfast!" The three other men working on the new building took a break to drink water.

When I followed Myna inside, I paused. Four women and two more men were busy cooking, watching children and patching clothes. They all stopped and looked at Myna for an explanation. "Everyone, this is one of our best friends, Mark. He lives in Owl's Head and carries our deliveries to Morgaine every week. He is going to spend the day with us and return tomorrow." Everyone looked strangely relieved, but were somewhat reserved as Myna went through the introductions.

I tried to catch all the names, but I was sure to forget them again. "This is quite the crowd, where are all of you visiting from?" They grew quiet for a second, so I became aware something more significant was happening. Myna bit her lip. "Well Helen over there is my cousin. She lives in a little hamlet close to Greymark." Helen walked up and grabbed Myna's hand. "We were attacked five nights ago Mark."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I've heard there are elves in the forest."

"Well, no, it wasn't them," said a tall gentleman in the corner. Before anyone could continue, I said, "I'm sure it's difficult, I don't need to know the details."

Helen said, "No, it's ok Mark. I'm sure this is all quite a sight."

A young woman sitting with a cloak on her lap in the corner said, "and you live in Owl's Head, perhaps you could get some help for us there."

Myna and Helen glanced at her in unison, and she looked back down at her work.

I said, "Has Lord Enmar heard about this?"

Myna said, "I doubt it. But we're happy to have all of them here." She spread her arms for effect. "Now let's all get on to breakfast!" She looked at me and let me know she wanted to change the conversation.

I learned over the ham, eggs, and potatoes that the new structure was going to be a bunkhouse for the refugees. Myna explained, "Once everyone is able to return, we will be able to use it as a stable. Arren has always wanted one. There are precious few horses in the Vale, and we could make good money raising them. This crew is just helping us make that dream come true sooner." Myna was doing her best to keep the tone positive. I was always impressed that as industrious as they already were, they always planned to do more.

Eventually the question was asked that I had dreaded. "So Mark, what do you do in Owl's Head?"

I decided not to avoid the direct answer. "Well, I'm a scribe, I work for Lord Enmar."

Eyes widened in surprise. Some looks conveyed disappointment. An older woman spoke, "I've never seen the Vale this turbulent. Lord Enmar needs to know. People are frightened, and safety needs to be restored." Myna said, "I'm sure Lord Enmar is doing all he can for us. Perhaps it's time to get some fresh air and head outside, we've all been cooped up in here all night."

I said, "It's ok Myna. I'm happy to share what I know. I've heard a lot about what is going on in the Vale, and trust me, it's better not to know. Lord Enmar is doing everything he can, but the troubles are not easy to resolve. His resources are stretched thin."

A young teenager spoke behind me, "Well maybe if he hears what happened to us, he'll march an army down here and destroy all those undead that attacked us."

Someone else said, "Ah, that's not gonna happen. Face it, our little community is gone. Settler's End is at an end." No one laughed.

"I'm very sorry, and I will be happy to relay what happened to Lord Enmar. But tell me first, how did you manage to escape?" Everyone looked to Helen, she raised her hand and opened her palm. A small flame flickered to life and was gone.

Myna said, "My cousin has talents. She was the hero who held the enemies off so that the rest could flee."

Helen looked down. "Well, I didn't save old man Gerald and the Fuller family. Those two babies!" It seemed as if the light from the windows was being darkened by the mood.

Myna jumped up. "Ok, everyone, let's get outside and see what we can do on that bunk house. Janie, you stay with me and do the dishes." Everyone got up and slowly shuffled out the door.

Even though Janie was still there taking the dishes from the table, Myna spoke. "Mark, you have no responsibility here. You needn't do anything. Arren was going to write Enmar about it as soon as we got the new house done."

"But I do want to help. I just don't know what Enmar could do about it, other than to keep working on finding a way to fix the whole problem."

"That's exactly right. Don't add to his worries. We can take care of things just fine here."

"But I'm worried about you too."

Myna smiled. "You know you don't have to worry Mark. We will manage. The worst we ever get is a stray wolf looking for pigs, and we can handle that." It wasn't reassuring.

"Ok, but if things do get worse, promise me you'll come to Owl's Head. Morgaine and I will take care of you."

"That's good to know, but I'm sure we'll be just fine. And by the way, that has a nice ring to it, 'Morgaine and I'." She winked at me.

Myna got down to business and showed me what they had for delivery to Morgaine. They couldn't offer as much with the need to feed so many guests, but they still probably gave more than they should. I suspected they might be eating less to compensate.

All I could do for the rest of the day was help with the construction, and I use the term "help" loosely. I could hold posts. I could do some lifting. Arren knew he couldn't trust me with an axe, but there were so many people that the construction was proceeding rapidly. All the thatch had already been collected and was laid out drying.

It felt very uncomfortable to leave the next morning. Despite the fact that no one brought it up, I could see the faint hope in their eyes that I might be able to get Lord Enmar to do something. I had a lot of time to think on the way back to Owl's Head. Mostly, I felt at a loss as to what to do. Arren and Myna were the best of friends, so I told myself I was going to help. I still haven't figured out how.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 50: Stronger than Death

Day 319, post adventum

A week ago, Morgaine said she wanted to bring over steaks to celebrate my one year anniversary in the Vale. When I reminded her that it was still over a month away, she only grew more insistent.

“Well, I want to be the first!”

“The first of whom? No one else knows when I arrived.”

“Arren and Myna do.”

“Oh, so you want to get the jump on them, huh?”

“Come on, Mark. Let’s just have a nice dinner.” At this point, she looked at me in a way that made me understand I couldn’t dissuade her.

So last night when I opened the door, I suspected this might be more than a simple dinner. She is, after all, the best friend I have here. She introduced me to Lord Enmar, allowing me to support myself. I owe her a great deal.

Yet, I still wasn’t prepared for the sight of her. She always wore red, but last night it was blue, the dark velvet fashionable among the lords and ladies of Owl’s Head. Silver thread accented the collar and sleeves in leaf patterns. She surely paid a small fortune for it.

I grew self-conscious. I hadn’t put on more than a simple cotton shirt and pants. I worried I hadn’t cleaned the cottage enough. Morgaine watched me as I just stood there. She cocked her head and said, “Hello to you too, I guess.” She pushed her leather satchel into my chest, and broke into a large smile.

After bringing her inside, I said, “Thanks for doing this.”

“Do you like the dress? I bought it a week ago, but I haven’t had a good occasion to wear it until tonight.” She spun around. The skirt of the dress twirled
    lightly around her ankles.

“Well, I’m amazed you’d grace this lowly establishment with your presence, m’lady.”

She put her hands to her mouth, “It’s a little too much, isn’t it?”

“Not for a butcher who wears a dress.” She smiled. “Now let me get you some wine, and I will start the potatoes.”

When I brought the cup, it was her turn to be surprised. “Mark, where did you get something this nice?”

“I bought it from Lord Hilverson.” She chuckled at the thought of me speaking with Lord Hilverson. I had to admit that it felt good to make her laugh.

After the potatoes were roasting, it was time to cook the spinach, onions, and mushrooms. It strained the capacity of my poor little hearth.

Morgaine ended up helping, her dress not an impediment in the slightest. I was relegated to setting the table, which does align more with my cooking talents.

When she pulled the first steak off the grill, it barely fit the plate. “And that’s the small one for me!” I laughed and set two more plates for the sides. “Steak for days!” Even though I was enjoying myself, my head was still too full of worries about my food stores.

When we both sat down to eat, Morgaine rose and raised her cup.

“Mark, it’s been a great year since you arrived last spring." I laughed and shook my head that she still insisted on rushing the anniversary. "Now, now. I don’t know what brought you to the Vale, but it’s been one of the best things to happen to me since…” A long metal scrape ended with a rattle outside the back door. Her face went white.

“Probably just the wind," I said. "It was warm today, things are stirred up.”

“That’s not wind, Mark. We need to….” The back door swung inward. A skeleton slowly appeared into the candlelight, bony heel and toes clacking against the floorboards. It had its hand outstretched and a rusty sword pointed directly at me.

There was something so new about this experience that for a moment all I did was watch it. Morgaine had already bolted to the front door. She screamed at me to come, and I finally moved. I looked back to the the skeleton stop on the far side of the table. It rotated its sword hand, threw its head back, and screeched, “I will be your end.” The voice was female. I stood frozen. Morgaine was pulling my arm.

Before I could move, the skeleton's head shook and drooped onto its chest. “So much death.” The sword slipped from its grip and banged the floor. The skeleton swayed back and forth and flopped down in Morgaine’s chair. It leaned forward and put its head in its hands.

Now we both stared. A low moan was accompanied by one word, “why?” After this, the skeleton was motionless. Morgaine whispered, "Mark, we need to go." We had both felt the despair in the skeleton's voice and for some reason still did not move.

Someone shouted from outside the cottage, “Mark!” Devon appeared at the back door. He drew his sword and leveled it at the creature. He looked over to us and shouted, “Leave!”

I said, “Devon, it's alright. I don’t think this one is working anymore.”

Devon poked it, and the skeleton didn’t respond. “We had a report of a skeleton wandering the woods. A few of us were sent to investigate. I just found its trail. Are both of you, ok?”

Morgaine said, “Yes, just a fright.”

Devon said, “We don’t see evidence of others. Damn, they usually don’t make it up this far.”

The skeleton bolted upright, slamming the chair back against the wall. Devon swung too slowly. It crouched under his sword, and retrieved its own. From there the skull swiveled until its empty sockets found my eyes. As Devon recovered for another swing, it sprang up and walked forward, sword aimed like an arrow at my chest.

In that moment, I have to admit that I was angry. This world, which I had not asked to join, and which I had been doing my best to accept, was now hell-bent on getting rid of me and my best friend. It was a bitter flash of the reality I had been doing my best to avoid. Now there was nothing I could do but run and not fast enough.

In the moment, I also felt Morgaine's grip on my arm growing stronger. She was near the door, I expected her to pull it open and race out. Instead, she let go of my arm and sprang forward and down. She rolled to a stop on the other side of the skeleton with a bony leg clutched in her hand. The skeleton wobbled on its remaining leg and pitched forward. When it hit the floor, all its bones separated and scattered. The rusty sword skittered forward and stopped at my feet.

I still didn’t move. Morgaine sat there holding the leg and looked at me. Devon rushed forward and grabbed the skull. He ran out the back door. Shouting erupted around the woods as he called out to the other guards.

The sight of Morgaine finally broke my paralysis. I rushed up to her, but she looked unhurt. I took the bones from her hand and pulled her into a hug. She started to sob. Devon returned, but decided to leave us alone. He gave me a thumbs up before he left indicating that we were safe.

After a minute or so, Morgaine stood and wiped her eyes. “It can’t happen again Mark. It just can’t.”

“What do you mean? I hope this was just a fluke.”

“No. I can’t lose someone I care about again.”

I took her hand and led her back over to the table. The candles had been knocked over, so I relit them.
    I asked if she wanted me to warm up the food again. She shook her head.

“Ok, Morgaine. You have to tell me what you mean.”

“My family, my family. You know I’m alone. Six years ago. On our farm. It was my turn to run the stall. I returned to find them, all killed.”

“Ah.”

“I’ve wanted a new family, Mark. But I don’t know if I can do it. Maybe Arren and Myna are the only family I need. Arren’s parents took me in while I sold the farm. Arren himself promised to supply the stall so I could keep it going.”

“This world is cruel.”

“But Mark, how are you doing.”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean?”

“I just don’t know what to think anymore. Before I got here, I survived everything. Life without a dad, my mom’s troubles, my time in the orphanage. I didn't start in a good place but I worked hard to make it good. Everything was going well. Now everything just feels so out of control again.”

“Mark, we can work for that happy ending. This world hasn't won yet. If nothing else, please move into town under the protection of the moon tower.”

“I don’t know, it’s a little expensive.”

“It doesn’t matter. I have plenty of money, I just want you safe. And I want you to be in a place where you can feel that things are a little more under control.”

At this point, my anger subsided. I should have realized sooner how much Morgaine really does care about me.

I said, “I’ve never had a friend like you before. By rights, I owe you so much. But I never wanted to have to depend on anyone else again. I can't help it though, I like you. Yes Morgaine, as crazy as it sounds to me, I really do like you. But I don’t know what that means. I don’t know where it’s going to go. Let's keep talking about it.” She smiled, and her eyes started to tear again.

I said, “but first, we need to get past this shock. Maybe I can ask Devon if I can bunk with him tonight.” Morgaine’s eyes went wide, and she started to protest. “I’m kidding of course. May I stay with you tonight? Maybe until this whole thing gets sorted out?”

“Yes! Of course, Mark. As long as you need.” She threw her arms around my neck and kissed me hard on the cheek.

Adam Crow likes this.
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Mark's Tales of the Unremarkable, Number 51: Worth Any Price

Day 327, post adventum

Now that I am staying in town while the guard assesses the security situation at my cottage, I am spending more time at FireLotus Tavern. Every time I enter, Thomas eyes me suspiciously. I am too interested in those who sit alone in dark corners. Oftentimes he tries to gently dissuade me from this or that patron, but it never works. I figure that if people really wanted to be alone, they could find a better place than a tavern.

Thus today I found a tall, lanky fellow sitting as best he could in the one-size-fits-all chairs. He was drinking mead. I ordered him a refill as I walked up.

"Hello, I'm Mark, haven't seen you here before."

"Really? I come here quite often."

"Well, I just started coming more, moved into town for a bit."

"I'm Brad. Thanks for the drink. Have a seat."

"Where are you from Brad?"

He eyed me suspiciously. "Well, I can tell you're a Yank, Mark. So I guess it's safe to tell you I'm from London."

"Ah, another outlander. So many people speak with British accents in the world, you could easily blend in."

"Yes, strange, isn't it?"

"Harder for me."

"It's always harder for Americans."

"What does that mean?"

"Ah, nothing. I just wish there was more to do in this damn town."

"Why? Seems like the thing to do is go out and explore. Find stuff. Get rich."

"I gave that up."

"Well, I'm worse, I never started. So why then did you give it up?"

"My last little adventure didn't go so well."

"What do you mean? We really can't die... things can never really be that bad."

"Oh yes they can."

"Ok, you're going to have to explain."

"You see Mark, I got inspired when I came to Novia. A woman appeared to me and told me my actions would matter. And they did. From the moment I landed in Soltown, I was hooked on questing around, finding people to help. They were grateful, and gave me many things. In the great city of Ardoris I heard about a gem mine up north. Emeralds as big as your head, they said. I had never seen a gem mine, sounded great. All the while I had been developing my ability to sprint and sneak around. I can run faster than anyone and move quietly too."

"I can understand the speed, but sneaking seems like it would be a lot harder for a tall guy like you."

"We can really do anything here Mark if we set our minds to it."

"So I've heard. Did you find your emerald?"

"As I got close to the mine, I met a couple, the Graffs. They said they were the owners and that it had been overrun by kobolds. All they cared about, however, was getting back a necklace that had been left behind. They didn't seem to mind if I took anything else I wanted. It was easy to sneak past the kobolds and get into the mine. I found the necklace on the supervisor. It was a trifling little thing. I went down father into the mine and snatched a good-sized emerald, but only as big as my fist."

"How disappointing that must have been." He didn't laugh, but stared up at the ceiling as if seeing a vision.

"Right before I returned to the Graffs there was a small camp of kobolds. I felt like taunting them, so I turned up my speed and just ran past. They hollered and bellowed, but I made it through without a scratch. I got back to the Graffs and showed Marlene the necklace. She was overjoyed. She hugged her husband then took the necklace and put it on. She was giddy with excitement. Her husband handed me a huge purse, asked if I wanted to work for them once the mine was restored. Then..." He paused and looked over at me.

"Do I want to hear this?"

"No. As we were admiring Marlene's fuss over the necklace, a dark spot of iron appeared right above the emerald pendant of the necklace. An arrow. She staggered and reeled for a bit. Her husband just stared. He couldn't make sense of what was happening. About 75 meters back I saw one of those damnable kobold archers. Must have followed me back from the camp.

For a while, Marlene seemed terribly lucid. She reached back as if to try to yank out the arrow shaft. Eventually she sunk to her knees, and her husband rushed forward, released from his paralysis. He cradled her head and brushed her hair as she slowly bled to death all over him. I wanted to tear that archer limb from limb, but when I looked back, it was gone."

There was an uncomfortable silence as Brad returned to staring at the ceiling. Eventually, he spoke again.

"I dropped the purse and ran. Ran all the way back to Port Graff. I sold all my gear. I sold the emerald. I found out the furthest place I could get away and came here to the Vale. Bought a place out in the woods. Keep to myself mostly."

Thomas walked up as this point. "Hey, you fellows need more drinks?"

"Thanks Thomas, we'll have another round." That wasn't the answer he wanted. He frowned and went back to the bar.

"So now you know my story Mark, what's yours?"

"It's really quite unremarkable."

"Are you so sure?"

"Well yes I am actually. I woke up here in the Vale and work for Lord Enmar as a scribe."

"Ah, you didn't make the same mistake."

"Well, at least you tried it."

"It wasn't worth it. I had no idea what Arabella meant when she told me just how much my actions could matter."

It wasn't the first time I had heard the name Arabella. I wanted to ask more about her. But I thought it might be better to do over dinner. I made a mental note to ask Morgaine if she would be up for it and changed to a lighter subject.

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.