MMORPG Article: Release 11: It's Steamy!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

MMORPG has an article up on Release 11:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/935/feature/9043/Release-11-Its-Steamy.html

Some very interesting info:
    - A prime example is that there are a number of ideas for tweaking character advancement being floated around, even as they’re implementing the current one. There’s even a rough idea for a system that would allow for use-based progression, which is a system close to my own heart.
    - No longer is every hex a scene, but instead specific roads, swamps, and other areas of interest are the scenes. Think of it like a forest on your travel map. To enter the forest scene, you need to travel a bit to the named section of the forest, and then you’ll get an option to enter the scene rather than just double-clicking on it. Also, just being on the fringes may no longer work. You’ll need to be nearer to the named part.

Read the entire article for the context of those quotes and much more info on R11 and discuss below!

2. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

"There’s even a rough idea for a system that would allow for use-based progression".... yay

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I had a lot of fun tonight in R11. It was very cool seeing all the new stuff they've put in, finding all the tweaks that have been made. I literally didn't want to stop playing tonight (but had to so I wouldn't fall asleep at work in the morning).

But I'm also hopeful that the devs will realize some of the errors that have been made and fix them soon. There are some fundamental changes that need to occur to make this game GREAT. I don't have time to go into them all now.

Can't wait to play more R11 though.

Duke Invidia (Envy) likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm curious which areas? I see a lot of areas that need serious work to make this game standup to dragon age or any of the older ultimate at this point.

Joviex likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm not sure I'm sold on the new map mechanic as it sounds like they've severely limited the amount of hexes in game....less areas to enter. On one hand they already had big issues with all the hexes looking the same, but now they have fixed that by limiting the areas....what is the point of doubling the map size? It now is moot.

When we have a random encounter on the map will it load a generic hex and then kick us back out to the map?

Wondering really where this is all leading....isn't it a bit concerning that the only websites that seem to track this are MMO related and that they have basically lost the single player crowd.

Sir Cabirus, Gaelis, Margard and 4 others like this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Yes I'm very confused by this. Does this mean that not all hexes are open to entry anymore? I thought that all would be with a set of repeating generic scenes based on biome. If this did change, did I miss it?

Sir Cabirus, Gaelis and Joviex like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

You and I are probably thinking about this in completely different ways. When I think of making this game better, Dragon Age and the original Ultima's are not what comes to my mind. I will not be playing this game as a single player experience. My kids on the other hand will, and as far as they're concerned the game is almost ready to play right now. It's the social interactions (including competitive conflict and accountability) that really need the most work in the game.

ricoxg and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think it is anywhere near ready to play as a single player or multiplayer game....to empty with too many systems not near complete. I've seen very little so far that even makes me think it will have a decent game in single player without it being just an empty MMO. It is no where near the level of even say ultima 7, on the other hand you have quite a few of the social interactions already in game. The NPC's at the moment don't seem all that important or numerous....lots to be done still.

9. Drocis the Devious

Yep, but to be expected in pre-alpha.

The tough part is seeing some of these systems develop and finding myself asking "why in the world is this a good place to start in?" Just one example might be allowing casting without reagents (sure it's great for testing, but "current thinking" goes beyond just testing).

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

had the same thought. what was the point of the map doubling in size pledge level?

I hope this is a temporary thing to reduce noise, because the size of the world just got miniscule if it is left this way.

At least the repeated hexes had the appearance of providing areas that would not be laden with resource sucking people.

The mysterious swamp, internally, was small, like the other hex instances, and I wad in there with 20+ people when I went for the tour guide. there's was not a single living thing around because they had all been slaughtered.

not. good.

Sir Cabirus, smack and Margard like this.
  11. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

I'm sure they took a look at which hexes where being used and said, why do we have so many unused, use unentered hexes.

You also can't judge hex use by how many people are in the hex on day 1 in the first hour or two.

12. ricoxg

ricoxg Avatar

You know, that's a dang good point. I hadn't really considered how exceptionally well placed the single-player aspect is for folks who have kids. I may be stealing that idea for a point in a future article. It actually gives me an idea for a full feature, now that I think about it.

Well put, sir!

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I like what they are now doing over hexes. The hexes will still exist so the map can constantly change.....just means that players can't go into ones that are not really developed.

I played this for a couple of hours last night along with most of today. I have to say I am really really enjoying it.

Deliverence and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, here's hoping someone can find a decent way to procedurally generate hexes in Unity :)

15. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

To be fair, the "stretch goal" of doubling the size of the world map was always exceedingly nebulous and arbitrary, considering the size of the world was never even close to being decided before that stretch goal was implemented.

It was never really a stretch goal, not really.

16. smack

smack Avatar

Completely agree here. We are so far away from an actual game but I guess it's ok for kids? SotA is 0.01% of an RPG right now. It's an unfinished sandbox currently.

Sure, it was nebulous, but it's not like we accepted it blindly and never asked for clarity around it. Every time a new map was released we'd ask about the world size. A few of these questions even made it into the Founders Q&A. I'm not getting the pitchforks and torches, I just want a more detailed explanation or better yet, a Hangout on this new direction in the short term and long term.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

As for the reasoning in the R11 thread:

* I don't understand why its a problem that players are artificially spread out. You shouldn't be bumping into a lot of people in a large open forest. Bumping into other players should be the exception, not the rule. People will naturally run into each other at places that are more central as gathering spots, whether it be towns, camps, dungeons, moongates, roads. The social aspect of the game doesn't need to be forced unnaturally. Artificially spreading people out makes the world seem larger. Its good.

* It's a role-playing game. People should be creative about naming and arranging meeting places. "Meet me at the southern edge of the forest closest to the road. There's a large tree at the entrance. If there isn't, you're in the wrong place."

* I think he learned behavior you're fighting against is partly sticking around because hex movement is longer really an active interface element in the overland map... its just free roaming. In a lot of ways, this has caused other problems. People can walk over peaks of hills like it was nothing. Instead of travelling on a road, people wander around the side of the road. Another thing is that if some things are labeled, people expect all things to be labeled. Why label anything at all? At any rate, its going to be hard to put a lot of scenes close together if you're labeling everything. Will we have things like "forest clearing", "old oak grove", "forest stream", in the middle if a large forest? Labeling every small place this way also removes the logic of doing the labeling in runic in the first place since its no longer functioning like a real map. Reducing the amount of places you can go to reduces the amount of gathering spots and chances for role-playing and adventure. What if me and a bunch of players want to set up a thieves camp in one of the hidden, wooded areas south of Braemar? We can't.

18. Iforgot

Iforgot Avatar

From what I've seen, If there's no stealing, I for sure will not be playing this game. This will just be another money on board mmos. Sad considering, had high hopes, well not only that "**** Slayer" just appeared on my screen. Sigh...

19. smack

smack Avatar

Well, we can steal take anything and everything that isn't locked down currently -- and without punishment. I wonder when they'll lock that down so you will at least get caught if seen doing so. As far as actual thievery skills (skill tree), no word on that and I doubt we'll see any for Ep1.

...and: http://www.whitepages.com/name/****-slayer/ :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.