Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

moments of complete ineptitude!

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Xi_, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I can not consistently recreate what is taking place but there are times where nothing seems to go right for my avatar, by way of the numbers rolled during combat. For example, i can kill 2-3 wolves at a time, fairly consistently, but there times where no matter how hard i try, i simply can not kill even one of those same wolves, it's like a moment of avatar ineptitude where he takes 50 points a damage a hit and misses the wolf repeatedly. I've learned just to log out and or find something else to do and then come back later when i'm not going to have to frustrate myself with what is taking place.

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for the report. It's more feedback than bug, unfortunately. Moving to the appropriate forum.

Mata likes this.
  3. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

This very well might not be the issue you are describing, but I'm going to throw it out there just in case. I've noticed if I'm getting wrecked by a mob I normally steam roll, I often notice my auto attack has either turned off completely, I'm out of range, or my character's rotation is slightly off etc. If you aren't using melee or bow, then this is not your issue, but I had a similar experience until I noticed I could check my UI color to make sure it was red (in range and attack is on), rather than yellow (out of range while attack is on) or white (attack is off). It's the reason I keep pushing for a when weapon is unsheathed attack is always on option, because often my attack just turns off during combat and I lose a ton of damage, making stuff I was cruising through before take awhile to kill. However, you might just be describing the feeling of getting some unlucky patches of rng, in which case the only thing that would fix that would be adjusting the range of damage tighter, ie instead of 4-40 range on a skill, 20-30 range on a skill.

Edit: Now that I noticed you have 1,224 messages I'm going to assume it's the latter damage range issue combined with an unlucky patch of hit/miss rng resulting in the perfect storm. Gaussian distribution can help create less outliers in random number generation, but I have no idea what they are using atm. It's rough because the beauty of rng is that it allows for the unexpected to happen like when you lose to wolves you normally beat and unfortunately what individuals find the right amount of rng spice varies wildly from person to person.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Ancev likes this.
  4. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Ineptitude is going into the Mysterious Swamp to hunt red spiders in your "About Town" equipment. The spiders will make short work of you.

What you describe is, to my mind, a string of bad luck with the virtual D20. I have such bouts with mobs that I'm borderline able to handle. Sometimes their easy, with good virtual roles. Most of the time they're a tough fight, though winnable. Sometimes I can't do anything to them, and have to break off.

5. agra

agra Avatar

whenever this starts happening (and it happens a TON inside dungeons or on hillsides) I force the target to move, and it seems to make things "start hitting again"

I've seen it in the combat log where, for the same mob type in the same 10m radius, one fight is over in 3 hits, and the next fight takes 20 hits because 90% of them are misses, and only re-positioning will fix it.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So how is this feedback and not a bug if we don't know about the "feature" that is supposed to make Moonshadow's avatar so unreliable against a simple wolf ?

7. Alcedes

Alcedes Avatar

The issue is the communities understanding of "80%" for example. You see, 80% to some means 8 out of 10...to others maybe 80 out of 100. but this game i suspect is using MUCH larger numbers for its rng. like maybe in the range of 1,000,000,000. Meaning 800,000,000 of your attacks out of every billion will be a hit in the case of 80% it rate.. This will test true time and time again in their simulations where they simulate 1 billion weapon swings. However, for us, looking at a sample size of 20 swings against a single enemy in a single battle with an 80% chance to hit, we will frequently see patches of 5-8 misses in a row.

In short, its probably just some bad luck.

However, I have also noticed something strange when attacking from behind. Some times i will still miss 4 or 5 times in a row, but if i just take a little half step to the left or right, suddenly i start hitting consistently with almost no misses.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

So we're reinventing the wheel...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.