Night vision question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alley Oop, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

when night vision was very very green, the mob nameplates were changed so that if you have night vision on, green nameplates appear cyan. ...but since then, night vision has been edited to be much more color-accurate. are the cyan nameplates still useful for anyone, specifically maybe for color-blind people, or should we just undo it so it's always green?

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Is the colour and the settings of night vision editable? If so a question:
    Nightvision appears like a "Restlightverstärker". It´s translated to "night vision equipment" but thats problematic as there are several ways to see in the dark. It appears to me like the method to make the remnants of the remaining light stronger.

The other main method is Infravision like on cameras which usually uses red for warmth and so shows warm bodies in bright red colours. Could for Death Magic a variant like "Blood Vision" be made that is reddish instead of greenish and shows living, warmblooded beings in red colour while being a bit unclearer about the rest of the view?

3. Alley Oop

not within the scope of this thread. the only thing i'm looking at possibly changing is that one nameplate color.

vulcanjedi and FrostII like this.
  4. KnightRider0070

KnightRider0070 Bug Hunter

I would think that it should be the proper color accurate and not be impacted by the spell.
    I remember being a young avatar and confusing this teal color as a diff level difficulty until the veterans pointed out its the night vision effects changing the color :)

I've seen a few new players ask about the teal color confusion, but not too often.

5. Osunn

Osunn Avatar

I think the color should be accurate as well. I too was confused by the different color while night vision was on.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Frankly i think its fine as it is now. I hated the older version we used to have. This is the learning that folks need to have. They need to become more aware of where they are going and what they are fighting in whatever scene they go into. Wandering into a T5 with night wision on and seeing green nameplates is not a smart thing if they cannot handle that zone . But this is just me.

7. Alley Oop

i'm just talking about changing the nameplates for green mobs, not anything else. right now they turn cyan when you have night vision on, but the yellow, orange, and red ones stay the same

FrostII likes this.
  8. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

I always run around with Night Vision on. I'm quite used to the cyan names, in fact, when I see green names I know it's time to refresh my Night Vision :)
    So for my part I like it as it is now.

StarLord likes this.
  9. Vaentorian

Vaentorian Localization Team

I wasn't even aware of the cyan nameplates after years of using Night Vision (playing on and off for long periods).

I vaguely remember wondering long ago whether they represented a tier in between green and yellow, or possibly 'even easier than green' and can certainly see how the different colour might be confusing.

While I was playing at the weekend I did notice the difference between the green nameplate on a targeted creature's health bar and the cyan overhead, and if anything I thought the green looked clearer, but then I have no colour vision deficiency (that I know of).

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Does it make sense to remove an accessibility feature?

11. Alley Oop

it wasn't put IN as an accessibility feature in the first place. nonetheless, i think it may have become one, specifically for color-blind people, which is why i'm asking for feedback rather than just doing it.

ConjurerDragon and FrostII like this.