Offline Save Game Editing

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by dcosper, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

I would like to sell a lil program i wrote that soups up your offline save game so you can learn things you are unable to do online without a group, it wont touch online at all, first is this allowed ?
    and second, would anyone pay IGG for it ? :D

2. Katu

Katu Avatar

Sell? Seriously? Open source it. Getting someone to download something that might compromise their account is hard.
    Save file editing is allowed AFAIK.

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah open source it and slap a bit of commercial into it. Guess you would get more out of it that way. If the commercial isn't exessive.
    If it's allowed I dunno but who should stop you and why if we are talking about the offline mode.

4. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

Well i use offline mode to learn things like quests, so when i go do them it is not a slaughter, and the program just opens your offline game save and gives you all gm skills and lots of gold, does not touch your account, and not sure i care to open source it.

And if i could get some return out of my work, like IGG so i can further develop my character, then that would motivate me to continue to update the app and add more features like items and artifacts etc

5. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

Also, what about a dps parser ?

6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It is understandable to want to earn some money on this. I suspect that your program might end up having free open source competition, though, so I wouldn’t count on it being a financial success. I personally would like to have an optional “easy” mode built into the offline game, but I wouldn’t pay for a saved game editor.

7. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

but I wouldn’t pay for a saved game editor.

Eh ? all i was wanting was like 10k in game gold per person that wants it, so i do not see the issue here, as far as doing things for free, thats just not the world we live in, if i wanted say 1m gold from another player i would have to pay, so unsure why all the free topics on my post, none of you guys do anything for free :D

8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

From the official terms and conditions:

Cheats, Exploits, and Game Modification (MODing)

While we do allow some configuration of the game client, we do NOT allow exploiting or hacking of any kind. Any modification of the game client needs to be approved by Portalarium first.

Some examples that will be cause for immediate and permanent ban from the game are:
    • Gold/item generation via automated systems (BOTing, increasing spawn rates, etc.)
    • Generate accelerated experience (Ex.: Instant max skills, etc.)
    • Working around gameplay (Flying through barriers, reducing damage, etc.)
    • Edit client memory (change character stats, increase skills)

9. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

You always get resistance on anything paid, most kiddies want everything for free!

10. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

This is all about online play, and again my program does none of this, so if your intent was to scare me, you failed.

11. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

Yeah they always want others to do stuff for free, but if i said, hey can someone take me out and help level my character up ? i would be greeted with real life money quotes lol, this is why i do nothing for free anymore.

Servant King likes this.
  12. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

This is exactly why this forum has a reputation for being toxic and why a lot of players tend to avoid it.
    First off, it wasn't any intent to scare you. Your original question was "is this allowed" and my reply was to point you to the terms of conditions where it says it isn't.
    Secondly, its not all about online play at all, it doesn't distinguish between online or offline mode anywhere in the terms and conditions. It just states that modifying the game client (which is used in both) is not allowed.

If you are serious about trying to sell this program I suggest you dial back the attitude as it might help with the possible future customers.

13. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

You are most welcome to your opinion but i do disagree, and i am not being toxic in the least, you simply posted a cut and paste of the rules, which i read before i made this post as they did not touch on what i did, if you had added your opinion, or said something besides a straight cut and paste from publicly available rules, then i would have guessed you were interested in a conversation about it, but you did not, so i reacted in an appropriate manner, how am i going to know the mental state behind your post ?

In addition you act like i am trying to sell this for crazy prices like the rest do lol, i asked for 10k gold in game, 10k gold that anyone can make, i think i am being quite fair, however i can see what the frame of mind is about this subject, so i will consider it closed.

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

People are doing stuff for free all the time in this game. Before Portalarium bought sotamap.com, Jakub White let people use it for free. He only charged POT owners for the ability to configure their own POTs on it, and no one was forced to do that. I've been using Umuri's SotA HUD for ages, and anyone can download it. And I'm thankful to all the brave and generous souls who have shared their XP with me by partying with me or taking me to places I would never be able to go by myself, like the Monkey Room. There are many donations chests that people set up around Novia to help out new players. There are town governors who buy lot deeds and let people live on the lots for free. There are many many more examples of generous and sharing behavior.

I'm not saying that it's wrong for you to get paid for your program, but to say that no one does anything for free nowadays is just not true.

15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Editing a saved game file (the rule you bolded) is NOT editing the client memory. Therefore, this example does NOT say what the OP is doing isn't allowed.

As far as I know, they don't care if you edit saved game files because it does not affect the online game whatsoever.

I personally wouldn't pay (in-game nor out of game) for this kind of app either... but that's because I know how to edit these files myself already. ;)

Oh, and there is already a DPS Parser app called SOTAHud made by Umuri... and it's free.

16. dcosper

dcosper Avatar

I saw that, it is pretty cool , uses in game widgets, but i guess i run at the wrong resolution because they are all like 1 millimeter wide.

And editing the files manually is how i started, but then i mapped out all the id's for every skill, and mapped out a few of the cool items and such, so was hoping to maybe get some help advancing my char in online mode for helping others do the same in offline, I understand people do not really understand why this is a good thing and wants to lump it into a hack category, well here in a nutshell is why i find this app very useful.

I learned every single GM summon quest for skills, because of this i was able to log onto live, get help ofc i am a wimp and got my necro his gm lich summon, nobody knew the quest, i had to walk them through, so to me this program has already been extremely helpful.

Also, seeing as how primarily all i do online is craft the extra 10k per would be so very helpful, i am just trying to max my ability to get my character to a point i can make great gear.

If you are the type who likes to do online tutorials of how to do quest X or Y, or how to craft this or that, learning this in offline mode is so much easier, and also the code for it sucks atm, i need to rewrite it so it does not look like a crazy guy wrote it, even though he did, so wont be ready for open source for quite some time, and if there seems to be no interest, not at all.

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@dcosper - If you were looking for a little return on what you made, I would recommend releasing the offline savegame editor and requesting if anyone enjoys/benefits from it considering an in-game donation to character name XYZ.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I was once invited to go to a dungeon with a couple of players. At the end of it (about an hour?), one of the players (@CICI) basically told me i need to compensate the other other player (@SheldonCooper ) for taking me through the dungeon.

It was not my idea, nor did I request or solicit for going to the dungeon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.