Overhead Housing Layout

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Koldar, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I updated the image to include the new Knight layout. I also placed both Knight structures side by side for easier comparison. Hopefully that will give us an overhead of the Benefactor and Founder Citizen and the Benefactor Edelmann homes so I can add them for side by side comparison as well.

Eligor, Kuno Brauer, smack and 2 others like this.
  2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Thanks Koldar. I've been itching for a resource like this and only just found your thread. ;) Big help for comparing all the different options that have been revealed so far. Amazing work!!

Koldar likes this.
  3. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Thanks! Although I really consider my skills to be novice at best.

4. smack

smack Avatar

Although unlikely, I hope they allow free camera movement in the upcoming Early Release. It would help with my idea to have a contest for best fan-made video to further promote Shroud of the Avatar. And of course, to aid in these overhead layout screenshots :)

Kuno Brauer and Miracle Dragon like this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

A little late on the update. Unfortunately, no overhead was released for the Duke's Island Castle nor the revised Knight's home. I have made notes accordingly.

6. smack

smack Avatar

@Chris -- what's the likelihood of a free roaming camera in R2 for better screenshots and videos? It didn't make it into R1 but would love to see something like this for R2+.

Kuno Brauer and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Ok, so another post in this thread got me rethinking the size of the layouts, especially given that we now know what the price of all the layouts individually are currently.

To recap:
    $200 Village = 20m x 30m = 600m2, or $0.33/m2
    $900 Town = 30m x 40x = 1200m2, or $0.75/m2
    $2100 City = 40m x 60m = 2400m2, or $0.88/m2

Wow, what a difference. Town lots cost 4.5x that of a Village lot and you pay more per square feet for some reason. City lots cost 10.5x that of a Village lot and you pay much more per square meter.

Generally speaking, the price per square meter is dictated by location. And we know that there are village, town, and city lots all intermixed in the exact same block right next to each other (inner protected area of Owl's Head for example). I think that was the original intent, such that location dictated land value, and thus the different lot sizes were meant such that if you bought a Village lot, you can only live in a Village -- but we know that was changed and they mixed it up to create variation.

So given that location no longer matters in regards to lot type, perhaps we need an adjustment in lot size using the Village price per square meter @ $0.33/m2. With that baseline price, we now arrive at:

Town = 2700m2, or 2.25x original size, or approximately 43m x 63m
    City = 6300m2, or 2.625x original size, or approximately 65m x 97m

Here's how it looks after this resizing.

[​IMG]

Ignore the size of the house itself -- the existing houses should remain the same as they are now. This simply gives the lots more usable space, which is something I've argued for in this thread and others. With the extra space, the higher tier properties will be much more palatial as originally described. If land owners still want even more massive homes, then the Devs can create those and put them in the store/in-game and price them higher accordingly.

What do you think?

8. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I think the main reasoning behind the prices isn't so much about maintaining an equal price per meter but rather it is based on the rarity of each type of plot. If there are (for example) 10 city lots per 1000 village lots, rarity plays a huge roll in the price of the lot.

Eligor, rild and Sir Kiron Maedun like this.
  9. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I like the idea, but I do think that Town and City lots should have a premium on them. That is because there are fewer of them, and they are guaranteed a better location.

Eligor and Koldar like this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

If all that changes is the size of the plot, I don't have an issue with this.
    The Lord of the Manor and Duke houses fill about as much of the plot as possible, giving the city center a cramped feeling.
    Giving a bit more land would loosen things up a bit. Conveniently, it would give more room for island around an island castle.

11. smack

smack Avatar

That's already built into the price of the lots. Town lots cost 4.5x that of a Village lot, and City lots cost 10.5x.

There are fewer of each higher type, but you are not guaranteed a better location. They've said that villages, towns, and cities will all have a mix of each. So even a Village might have a City size lot in it.

Yes, only the size of the lot increases. The sizes of all existing homes created stay the same. And you're right, the point was to see how people felt about gaining more usable land given the pricing model I've laid out.

Koldar and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

I understand that, that is why I said I like the idea.

You are still guaranteed better placement.

In Owls Head how many City size plots did you see outside the inner wall? outside the outer wall?
    In Owls Head how many Town size plots did you see outside the outer wall?

Those are still better placements even if it is a City lot in a Town, or a Town lot in a Village.

13. smack

smack Avatar

Owl's Head was a Town that just happened to have some levels of protection. It doesn't appear Kingpsort (Village) has any walls but it does have a City Waterfront home. And I doubt many waterfront homes will have any protection.

Now this is speculation, but I'm going to guess that property tax will be different depending on where the lot is located. Outskirts offer no protection, within outer walls some protection, and within inner walls maximum protection. I'm going to guess the different levels of protection does not come free and I don't think they baked that into the price of the lots, since you can have city lots in a village where there might not be any protection (no outer / inner walls).

Miracle Dragon and Koldar like this.
  14. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I get what you are saying @smack. Im totally up for bigger lots for high end backers.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I never knew this thread existed until I stumbled on it. Great work Koldar!!

Koldar likes this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

I actually would love to see all lots increased in size, including Village lots. Those are absolutely tiny. :)

17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I second that! :) wishful thinking at best though.

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

So you want the Dev's to concentrate time & money reshaping all the V/T/Cities to give you bigger garden.

19. smack

smack Avatar

Yes, as it's just an idea that I posted for feedback and not a demand :)

It can create a greater variety of types of property and opens up lots of possibilities for monetization when there's more usable exterior space. So now they can sell not just interior items, but much more variety of exterior items as well. So it would be great if they could do this for all property owners, with the higher tiers getting a higher scaling value as I outlined above. Also, they haven't even designed any of the real towns yet on the mainland. They haven't even designed all of the Hidden Vale yet either, so now would be the best time to make the change as they test and tweak the town designs.

20. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I hope we get some basic layouts way before release :) i would like to taste test a few locations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.