Player DM Group?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*slaps forehead* so that is why people are so negative, I couldn't figure out why anyone would be against lists flagging people/guilds/towns who like RP and some player run quests organized through the forums.
    Let's remove that completely from the table then - we don't need no charter or warrant to have some extra fun and connect with people.
    All we need is a subfora under FireLotus Tavern or the Town hall and we are off to a great journey beyond sight and sound.

Just having such a place will attract new role players in like the sign "don't go this way" to any adventurer.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There are some details still that need to be worked out but the response overall has been encouraging and there's no reason not to move forward.

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

The way I see it is that the RP would be something you opt into like PvP. We don't have any systems yet but that is cool we can work something out and just give everyone an easy way to participate. I'm good with it not being super formal but I respect the folks who want a more "canonical approach." I have no Ultima experience so I probably won't be as helpful in that respect. Rune 72 seemed to take exception to people copying the old places and trying to remake their versions of the old world. It's my opinion that they're just trying to preserve some themes that they loved about the game. That is where FireLotus will start crying because she's going to have to herd all of the cats that include us and Portalarium to make sure it isn't stupid.
    I really hope everyone who posted in this thread can and is willing to get involved.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Possessing NPCs might be a tad difficult to implement in the game, in the sense that it creates all sorts of trouble. The extra characters that drive the story is one of the best things invented in story telling. It inspires RP through sparks of interaction that build up into a fire. Such characters can be dispensable or not, whereas NPCs are not easily dispensable. That means that if a story arc is done and the character needs to be substituted with another, there is no problem codewise and lorewise. You delete the character and make up another. Or even rename and re-face your character (if such a tool would be possible) and tahdah! If it were NPC possession and you need to get rid of the NPC, that NPC would have to die for all players and that is quite a complicated thing to do.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well in that case what you'd do is spawn your own NPC. What I would normally do if I had that kind of requirement is I'd create my own in the case of an on-going character or spawn a generic character.

Neither is really going to be much of an option except in the case of.. as you say.. creating an extra PC to act out.

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

or people can use their characters as NPCs, which i would more than likely do with my character, he would be a part of the story for some reason or another, and give information, tell riddles, and stories or participate in something for the active players. Which is what i would most likely do, since i have a lot on my platter so far when game goes live, I could also write quests as well since i like to write anyhow, and have experience as a D&D DM! :) So my character Torniquet, would be an NPC type for the quests. Im all for it! i dont care if i get the badge thingy or not, i just enjoy doing this!

Gaelis likes this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would also say have a subforum in firelotus tavern with the background of the story to be played, so people can look at it first and say "That sounds Cool, i think ill check it out, and others can say "naaa this isnt for me!" Just dont give out what town it will take place in, or you may have grievers show up, once people sign up for quest, you pick a place to start, wherever it may be then tell all those signed up where its at VIA PM

Gaelis likes this.
  9. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Speaking of DM there is a new game coming out called evolve where you control this powerful beast that "evoles" while being hunted by other player characters. You are not necessarily a DM but you are the PC mob that the players are trying to slay.

The monster PC has to try and hide and go into a cocoon mode to evolve and gain new powers and such. I love the fact that the games idea is out of the box like most of the stuff Lord British enjoys bringing to the table. This DM mode would be nice for the single player mode.

Wouldn't it be fun if you could be a dragon and invite your friends to come kill you ? Possibly a campaign you have been running for them in DM mode? The only hard part is creating this DM tool which I imagine devs already have!!

I think we can spruce up the single player mode into something more flexible with minimum programming. Well what do I know, I am no coder. I am a lowly network engineer .

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just wanted to speak up and show support for this effort. Anyone that had the experience of playing with DMs in NWN know how wonderful and magical something like this can be. Sure Players will not have the control the world like DM's did in NWN, but many DMs would still use player or non-dm accounts to drive story and RP in their events. Even as players we were able to have many great events (often mistaken as DM events), so there can be nothing wrong with bringing new stories and events in the world. Honestly, its these types of experience have me very excited for SOTA as I really miss these kind of experiences from NWN!

As for RP organizations and forced/enforced RP, there have been no talks of this. Bowen's idea is just to allow story writers to brink lore to life for those that want to be involved. I understand there were RP groups in UO that rubbed some the wrong way. Honestly I do not know much about these organizations and how they operated, but I have seen nothing to indicate there will be anything of that nature in SOTA. The SOTARP group was created to help encourage people to RP through positive examples, but nothing good ever come for force. Like Bowen's suggestions, I am sure we will assist in these type events or ideas in any way we can to encourage a rich and vibrant RP environment in SOTA, but this is never intended to enforce RP or push events on people. The only intention is to make these events fun for all involved. If organized properly even non-RPers can use this information to avoid the events if they so choose, and nothing precludes from more spontaneous types of RP.

RP is something to be celebrated and encourage through positive examples and fun; not by rule of law. However, RP is a performance and thus requires coordination and some structure to ensure it is fun for everyone and not just for the individual RPer. This type of coordination and forethought will help bring fan fiction to life, and - even if you only hear about it on Avatar Radio - can help create a rich player-inspired history in SOTA.

Personally, I can't wait for these! :D

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok just a heads up.. I am now officially part of the SotA RPers team and will be spear heading this effort together with the SotA RPers. I'm currently getting plans together and look forward to working with everyone in the future. :)

Seon and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.