PvP? Not really.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by DavidDC, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I was going on a walk around novia to find people to fight in those pvp map but hey, what i found was VERY disapointing.

First of all, novia non-pvp map have this nice keypad 0 panel which show name of people in the zone, those in pvp mode are tagged [?] with hidden name. Cool.

In pvp map you see nothing at all. The guy could be a guildy, you wont see his name or a [?] in the pvp zone.

The problem is you guys make map as big as blood bay, which take approximatly 1 hour running around completly to check for people (the guy could just run in circle and you will never know there is someone). And there is no name shown. How tempting is that to stay in the map and fight people or wait for someone to come in and find each other. This is extremly dull. I aint gonna stay in a map for hours hoping i see some player effect in the horizon. Why is there pvp zone if its gonna be like this? Not knowing if you are alone or not...

Can you guys put name in that panels in pvp zone?
    The name does appear if you get really near and can actually see the name of the person in your screen, then it show on panel. But else than that, nothing.

My little finger tell me that people cryed so loud that they removed that option to see names in pvp zone. I seriously hope its not the case.

I'm mad because since a week i run around ruins and shards and never saw anyone around. Even searched knowing name wasnt appearing, how many hours you guys think i wasted? Ill tell you, 30. 30 hours of running around the world for absolutly nothing and no fun.

Please make pvp fun.

2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Sorry i am for completely the opposite...no ? no names..nothing...But there must be a reason to be there..ie good hunting/resources/PROFIT. This will entice people in and make them feel safe and not to be overly cautious when they see other players in the scene and will actually produce much more pvp fun.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If there are players in the zone, I have no problem with a symbol that alerts people that there's more than YOU in the zone. You won't know if they're pvp or non-pvp, but you'll know someone is there. You won't know if there are 20 people in the zone or just 1 other person in the zone., you'll just know someone is there with you. That seems reasonable to me.

Numa, nonaware, OxNull and 6 others like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

With the current state of the game. Don't expect running around randomly to fight someone to fight. I recommend to get on Discord and ask around for PvP folks to find out what time they normally get on and where do they normally hang.

A month or two ago, deep Ravenswood and sequenna Colossus were the hotspots before blood bay, I don't know if that's still the case.

nonaware and chuck5086 like this.
  5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

That's a possible compromise but in a PvP scene or more importantly say a pvp dungeon i still prefer it as you don't know diddly....

However... maybe a skill like tracking could be used....this might tell u if someone was within 100m or so of this location up to X mins ago....The higher the skill the more information it could give you and possibly even allow you to track the direction of travel of the person.

yinki2, nonaware, MrBlight and 4 others like this.
  6. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

Here's my dumb idea. What if the overworld map showed smoke rising from a scene if any PVP has occurred in the last 10 minutes or so? This way a player could tell something is happening from a distance without wasting time looking for some action. It wouldn't necessarily tell you if anyone is still there or reveal anything about them. Useful while still anonymous.

Maybe slightly exploitable by players wanting to avoid PVP though...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OHHHHH, I like the idea Garfunkel had there.

8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ok here is a little update, you can fight people being not flagged in any zone which the player is flagged. That mean if you are in a city flagged pvp and i am not, i can attack you. And i can also see your name on the panel. So why not in pvp zone? Its completly idiotic. Must be a bug or something?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

The UO freeshard I used to play has more people in forums and ingame... Guess release is our only chance. Game is improving, but for a lot of people the ship sailed long ago... and if they don't start to get some rep back... I don't think we see much more.

3devious, yinki2, E n v y and 5 others like this.
  10. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I agree, it would be real nice to be able to see who is around in a PvP zone.

One small solution for right now is to ask if anyone is there in Zone Chat /z.

11. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

To be honest, there's very little reason to go into a PvP zone in the first place. There should be big benefits to both hunting, ressource nodes and crafter XP bonus when hunting/harvesting in PvP zones.

yinki2 likes this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

Giving large XP on player kill would be one thing... add a diminishing return on the XP gained if you keep killing the same player over and over and base the XP gained on adventure level.

PvP centric. No non-PvP BS. Simple.

"Abusing" the system to power-level your friends means you're progressively losing XP (since you're dying all the time) for their gain... it's almost like trading.

eli likes this.
  13. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Ressources are what brings people in a world-pvp zone, that's how "natural" PvP occurs : a fight over ressources. For deathmatch PvP there's always tournaments and duels.

yinki2, Lord Andernut and Bow Vale like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

You're more likely to piss off the gatherers because they didn't want to PvP in the first place... they just want the resource. It's okay to have PvE stuff in PvP, but that shouldn't be the main drive.

Resources don't magically make the game fun. They certainly don't do jack to motivate ME to PvP, that's for sure. Portalarium will have to do better than that.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  15. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

With a higher population in the future, methinks we shall see more of what happens in Deep Ravenswood around the other scenes. One on one field PvP is not too much fun unless you encounter an equal. Group PvP is a blast though! Unless you are a power gamer who has reached the soft cap, solo PvP is going to be hit or miss. What we need are better game mechanics to encourage grouping; guild alliances, virtue consequences regarding PvP and first blood, bounties, pickup parties ,etc.

16. Gix

Gix Avatar

In Vanilla World of Warcraft, all they had for world PvP was the context that "Horde are fighting Alliance" and the only game mechanic present in the game was a province-wide PvP-flag system (in PvP servers).

That was a blast.

Making up new game mechanics is all fine and dandy (and I don't necessarily disagree with your post) but I feel implementing these this early just covers the inherent flaws.

Numa and Damian Killingsworth like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have to agree, I played wow the first 2 years and PvP'ed a lot (and was on a PvP server most the time). Most PvP were in the battle grounds like AV and while it was extremely simple, I had some absolutely great times. The fact that it was simple meant that massive numbers of people actually PvP'ed. You didnt lose gear and such (no punishment for PvP death) which brought people out in DROVES to PvP. Would people really prefer that 100 people are PvP'ing with our current punishing system or would you prefer if 10,000 people were without one?

Look how popular Virtue League has been in SOTA for over the past year because its not punishing. Many people actually PvP just in Virtue League because of this.

Numa, Thwip and Belgtor like this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

Alterac Valley (as much fun as I had in it) had a lot of flaws. It was (and still is) very PvE focused and, back then, a single AV would last an entire week.

My original comment, however, was about pre-Battlegrounds WoW.

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

We were creative on our servers. When cross server BG's opened up (I think it was 3 servers, been a long time). I formed a guild with 2 people on the other servers. 50 of us would get into vent and queue at the same time and 46-48 of us would make it in. We then had a pre-planned route through AV (Rogues stealthing to the boss) and we would knock out an AV in 13-14 minutes every single time. I had the full epic gear on 3 of my chars in a few months as a casual player (working 50 hours a week)

20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

About wow pvp.
    No losses, nothing, big difference.

To me pvp zones are dangerous pve zones where maybe some pk lurk around.

Pk's in my eyes dont need any rewards or boni.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.