Ristra's loot suggestion

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ristra, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Original posting
    PvP Loot suggestions:
    • When viewing the corpse to loot all items should show generic names.
    • All consumables, reagents, and resources show ruff quantities. (few, several, lots, etc)
    • There is a limited amount of time to loot a corpse. Once the dead player has revived there would be no corpse to loot.
    • The location of the item being looted will have impact on the amount of time it takes to look the item(s). (removing equipped armor takes longer than armor in the pack)
    • The quantity of an item will increase the looting time.
    Example:

Player 1 (P1) is killed by Player 2 (P2)
    P2 scrambles to loot the corpse. After examining the corpse P2 finds;
    1. 1 full set of studded leather armor (equipped)
    2. 1 standard short sword (damaged from death in PvP combat)
    3. 1 jeweled dagger
    4. Several animal hides
    5. Lots of food
    6. 3 pairs of leather boots (in pack)
    P1 is now a ghost. Does P1 run to the nearest resurrection point. Does P1 get resurrected by someone (P3 maybe)

The looting process is over if P1 resurrects.

P2 must decided between taking the time to loot, stopping someone from resurrecting P1, or dealing with allies of P1 attempting to keep P2 from looting P1.
    If all is clear and P2 is able to loot P1 then P2 must choose what is worth the time to loot, time is limited.
    1. Equipped studded leather will take a while to loot.
    2. Standard short sword, damaged, may or may not be worth looting.
    3. Jeweled dagger, may be a good weapon or at least worth holding for ransom.
    4. Animal hides, not too many, should be a quick loot.
    5. Food, there is a lot, P2 could take it all or a portion depending on how much time P2 wishes to spend looting food.
    6. Leather boots (in pack) quick loot, grab and run.
    The intent here is to give P2 a real choice in the looting process. The ransom system does not need to be tossed out but it should be in the hands of the victor not the corpse. With less info to go on, P2 will be given the choice to attempt for a quick payout (ransom).

P2 could put the jeweled dagger up for ransom and P1 accepts. P1 could refuse and P2 takes the dagger. Then it's a gamble if the dagger is of value (taken to an NPC for identification or possibly a PvP skill to be used out of combat after looting)
    P2 could outright take the dagger and not offer the ransom.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Addition:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Methods of resurrection should be the control for the over all time. Bind point for someone of virtue will be closer than someone without virtue.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My first concern here is Dev time. What can be quickly coded and implemented vs what would be a future episode situation.

3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

4. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Signed!

GJ @Ristra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crossbowsoda likes this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The current bag system isn't all the friendly for this. Specially with 2 different styles, bag and list. The quantities should be either hidden or shown as descriptions and not exact numbers.

A looting timer could be represented in different ways to eliminate UI changes. Such as each type of loot (equipped, resources, pack) has a looting animation. The duration of the animation would be used to lock the player into the looting process. (and open to attacks)

At first I was thinking there should be timers and process bars to show this info but after thinking about it less info is better. This should be a system that promotes hard choices and all efforts to do so in a timely manner.

6. Ara

Ara Avatar

Well thought out Ristra. I can see this as a working compromise on loot.

Way, way better then the ransom option developers proposed.

7. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

Until the 3rd party looting scripts/programs are created to loot everything really fast...

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Server side > client side. The looting speed should never be set to how fast your macro can automate. This is why there would be animations (representing the delay imposed by the server) even if you find a way to break the animation the server still thinks you are looting and would return a "you are too busy" message.

9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

This OP is a great idea! They should add one more think to the first bullet list though; instead of just quantities increasing loot time, the metrics of the item should also significantly lengthen the loot time to the point that it's iffy if you'll be able to loot an epic breastplate for example before the dead player respawns somewhere else.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Have no issue with this, quite similar to my suggestion. Would like to see all items available to loot rather than a few. Due to timers etc there is no reason to restrict it.

11. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Aye dude. This is a pretty good example of a decent pvp thread. Maybe they could put in modifiers to shorten/lengthen loot times as a combat thief skill or something too.

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure I would go that route. Combat looting maybe.

During combat the time to loot could be increased over non combat. Then have skills in the subterfuge tree that would reduce combat looting down to non combat looting levels.

Caska DiFumarate likes this.
  13. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I like the timing thing but i hate what you think we should get on a loot so NO on that!! I should be able to take what i want i did at that point best him in battle!! not what a machine offers! Like if i want his armor, i take it and if i want his sword i take it no matter what it is! If i had a choice of 3 things i would take what he wants the most, of course within the time limit, i do like that part!

15. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I like it, specially the part where removing armour takes longer time than the backpack because that adds a bit of reality. But in the end we should be able to loot it all

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's the magic of the idea here.

There is no "machine" stopping you from looting. You pick the item you want to loot. Take the time to loot it. That number of items and type of items looted are only limited by 1 thing. Time.

Time is controlled by 3 things.

1. Your surroundings, if someone is attacking you then you will be forced to stop looting and defend.
    2. The difficulty of removing the item from the corpse.
    3. The amount of time required for the dead player to rebind with the corpse. (this is about as close to "machine" as it gets)

This rebind time is 3 fold. Distance from the nearest friendly bind point for a quick corpse run. Default time to auto rebind. Another player resurrects the dead player.

There is no system involved in limiting the items available for looting. Only time to loot. Items bought from the store for real money and pledge rewards not included, of course.

So if you had the time to take 3 items, and you think those items he wants most are his armor, sword, and shield. That's your choice. But it could be faster to loot all the resources and leave the move time consuming items in place.

Unless I misinterpret your meaning of "machine."

What I believe the biggest value here is the rebind points for your virtue of choice control the time to rebind. Someone of opposing virtue strolls into your home and gets defeated they have a lot longer time to be looted. They have farther to go to get to a friendly rebind. You venture out into enemy land you risk more loss in PvP.

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

oh if we can loot anything we want im good with it!

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That was my intent. The loot order is yours, as the victor, to control. Nothing is hidden. Only times stops you.
    That and to turn the ransom into an actual ransom. Not some insurance paid to the looter.

The devs can tweak the time to rebind. But ultimately that time is in the hands of the people risking exploring out into hostile areas.

Caska DiFumarate and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.