Scottie taking a much-needed sabbatical to finish publishing an RPG book!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scottie, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Heh! It is possible that when Richard glanced at the table last night when he stepped away from the telethon (somewhat in his cups from all the shots going on ^_^) that he may have misread it and pointed me to the wrong name when I asked him for an answer to Drocis' question... When I get back to the office next week, I'll upload the reference chart we showed everyone last night, and you'll be able to tell more clearly, I'm assuming,...and I'll totally update the post to make sure I give the right information for later readers... Sorry for any confusion...

2. Scottie

That's right, simply because the ideas of what the Anti-Virtues are (the inspiration for the old dungeon names), has remained the same, in essence... ^_^

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Thank you for the clarification. I just couldn't be sure as I remember they once thought the celestial system was working as intended. :) So it was either discover and prove or disprove and that was going to be a lot of work without confirmation of actual intent which was much harder to read that the celestial system. For now, I will be happy in knowing everything is still on course in a known unfinished state. :)

Scottie likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think I should revise my assumption here. While Deciet, Despite and Dastard are similar to the dungeons.. the others (and I'm making a certain assumption here) are more dramatic in the name change . in two of these names just changing the spelling slightly (and I assume necessarily) but the others.. Injustice (Wrong) Dishonor (Shame).. I suppose it would be difficult to change the spelling so the names change to something of a very similar meaning. It has the weird feeling of being new and familiar at the same time. :)

Scottie likes this.
  5. Scottie

The feeling you're getting is actually a good thing, in my book, though it may feel a bit disconcerting at times... I think this feeling is good for two reasons, primarily: (1) ...This game, being a "spiritual successor" to Richard's games of yore, needs to create a feeling for both new fans and old that what they're experiencing is meant to seem "familiar", either because it hearkens to a legacy that they may not be acquainted with, yet contains signs of details that could only have come from a developed "history", or because they ARE familiar with the legacy, and recognize elements that mirror what they once loved in ways that intrigue and excite them... and (2), because we MUST seek to hearken to that legacy in indirect ways that allow us the creative means to both imitate yet expand upon the foundations of the past without legal concern... ^_^ Your feelings of it being both new and familiar at the same time hopefully indicates we're doing this right, for everyone's sake.... Heh! This will be our "parallel dimension" that we hope will satisfy the love many still have for a legacy well worth celebrating...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

For me, SotA definitely has elements that make it feel like the Ultimas of yore.

majoria70 and Scottie like this.
  7. Scottie

Both excellent, and gratifying!

8. Scottie

So yes, questioning Richard about this post-telethon craziness, you are correct,...it would be Temna, as opposed to Nefario, who would have those four undead "Lords" in the Tower of the Shuttered Eye as his servants... Good catch! I'll go back now and change it in the original answer I gave Drocis...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.