Tell me about your gaming computer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retro, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

This is what I ended up going with a couple days ago, should have it Friday. I still would like to eventually build my own, but an unexpected medical bill really hit my purse hard.

2. Retro

Retro Avatar

Congratulations! but sorry to hear that, that video card in the Alienwear is weaksauce (GTX 745), you could have gotten more GPU and CPU with the last system we spec'ed out for you. (not to mention the pleasure of building)

Would have been easy to shave another $100 off the build below...you will have a great time with your new system, but you could have gotten more for the money, oh well next time.

Enjoy your new computer :)

Time Lord and Lord Royou like this.
  3. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

I'm getting a $250 rebate for trading in my old junker. I think I'll use that to get an upgraded video card. (Since I already know the 760 will fit properly because it was an upgrade option, I'll probably go that route.)
    I have someone who will take the 750 off my hands anyway.
    Even though it's a major upgrade over my old GTX 460, I was concerned that the 750 wasn't going to be able to handle newer stuff on max.

Royou Vengeance, Time Lord and Retro like this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Now I'm jealous... Way to go girl, I hope you mentioned SotA to them too...

5. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

[​IMG]

AMD FX8350 4.8Ghz
    H100i corsair water cooler
    Corsair vengance Pro 2400 mhz RAM
    Asus Sabertooth Motherboard
    AMD R9 290X 4GB Graphics card
    Samsung 250GB SSD
    4TB HDD
    Fractal Design case
    X52 hotas joystick
    Track IR5
    Razer death adder gaming mouse
    pioneer blu ray writer
    Win 8.1 64 bit OS

Runs SOTA like a dream:);):cool::p

6. Retro

Retro Avatar

$250 rebate and you have someone already lined up to buy the (GTX 745/750) with plans to upgrade to the 760, stamp of approval given.;)
    nice work...

Time Lord, Nephrite and Lord Royou like this.
  7. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

Of course I did, lol. He was my first referral. (Got his wife on board too!)

Time Lord, Lord Royou and SmokerKGB like this.
  8. Retro

Retro Avatar

New Computer Progress Report:

In Possession:
    CPU: Intel 4790K (arrived today!)
    Case: Corsair Air 540
    Cooling: Corsair H110
    Mobo: GA-Z97X Gaming 5
    RAM: 32GB DDR3 (ADATA)
    Controller: Saitek X-55 HOTAS
    SSD: SANdisk 480 GB (This drive will be for lowly Steam & traditional publisher games and any other generic applications :))
    PSU: EVGA 850W (returned) Upgraded to EVGA 1000W

On it's way:
    OS Drive: Sweet Plextor M.2 256GB drive just went on sale today, ordered. I'll use this drive for: OS, SotA, SC and Chrome.

Still needed:
    GPU: Still undecided, but leaning towards R290x, recommendations welcome and encouraged. (What I want does not exist yet, a 6GB 780Ti)
    Mouse: Logitech G502 (not ordered yet, waiting for a sale)
    Head tracking: Track IR 5 (I'm going to hold off until it is better supported by SC)

Wishlist: (not available yet)
    Keyboard: Corsair MX RGB Keyboard (Will order, as soon as it's available)
    VR: Oculus Rift (Consumer edition, when available)
    Display: will be one of the following...(however none are yet available)
    Dell U3415w
    AOC u3477Pqu
    LG's 34UM95

Omitted from build:
    HDD: None, not needed. (Will use external)
    Optical: None, not needed. (Can't remember the last time I used one)
    Rudder pedals: Saitek Combat rudder pedals. (I think the X-55 and Voice Attack will be enough)

Looks like after I pick up the M.2 drive I can start building, just using "on-board graphics" *shudders* for now, or possibly cannibalize my current system for it's lowly AMD 6950. Excitement is at level 11 right now.

Time Lord, Phredicon and Lord Royou like this.
  9. Thylbana Nyx

Thylbana Nyx Avatar

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
    Processor: Intel i5 4670K OCed to 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 16 Gb 1600 cl 9 CORSAIR Vengeance
    Power Supply: Corsair RM850
    Video Cards: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2 Gb
    Storage: 480 Gb PNY XLR8 SSD
    Storage: 2 Tb HDD Seagate Barracuda
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW
    Case: NZXT Source 530
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Cinema
    Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series II
    Keyboard: SteelSeries Merc Stealth
    Mouse: Gigabyte GM-Force M9

Built over 4 months for less than $1000, but then again the HDD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and OS were hand me downs from my last build. I'll be buying myself a Christmas present of a i7 4770K and probably a Birthday present next year of another GTX 770 to SLI.

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

11. Retro

Retro Avatar

I always thought the i5 4670K and i7 4770k, were very close in terms of game performance (2-3 frames), and smart gamers just went for the i5 for the cost savings, processor wise the 4790k would probably be a more noticeable upgrade.

Personally I would skip the processor upgrade altogether and just go for the second GTX 770, then upgrade the processor later when you can get one of the last generation chips that will work with your motherboard, you'll probably get more bang for the buck and better computer longevity with this strategy.

Nice system you have there BTW...

12. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Greetings All

I am not surprised this community is clued-up and kitted out with muscle hardware. I see here the cut & thrust of technical debate, the like of which I could engage in before a slip behind the times.

Notwithstanding that, It could be argued I think that the rig itself is merely one part of a complete gaming set-up. And so, where comfort is the key rather than speed, I would list mine thus:

[​IMG]

HP Pavilion p6-2060uk

Pictures delivered to a Sony KDL - 32EX503 32" LCD TV

Sound delivered through a Denon ADV DVD Surround Receiver to 2no. Mission built, Denon branded SCM51 speakers, mounted at (seating) head height

Razer Naga Molten gaming mouse
    Logitech K520 wireless keyboard

670x250mm custom built keyboard shelf wrapped in John Lewis purple baize, with Steelseries QcK Gaming Mouse Mat trimmed to fit and fixed to the right side with 4 corner upholstery pins, and with front edge mounted mouse chord hook.

480 x 730 x 900mm Decathlon Quencha Arpenaz comfort folding chair with seat height +430mm, and back 1250mm from screen.

1 no. cup of piping-hot Twinings Earl Grey Tea (no milk or sugar)
    2 no. Jules Destrooper Belgian Butter Crisp biscuits (118kcal @25g)

iPad for making notes.

A set-up more than enough to send even the most uppity Red Dragon away in defeat with its tail between its legs!

Please ignore the fudge brownie milkshake - that is young Bronwyn leaving her stuff everywhere as usual.

13. Retro

Retro Avatar

I completely forgot these things existed, (probably because I made the switch to satellite television years ago), I used to love my ATI TV Wonder and All in Wonder video cards, I had a few Hauppauge TV tuners also, all great products.

14. stile

stile Avatar

Recliner. Pc monitors at front left corner. Straight out 70" tv with 7.1 surrond, centered around recliner.

Under monitors are 3 shelves. Plenty of room to sit things, but always boasts a box of klnx, a "survival" kit (tacklebox type container full of small things from asprin to needles and thread), and my mini painting supplies.

To right wall is cork boards and shelving to display gameing stuff.

To left, i have pockets i made hanging on recliner for more assorted items. A end table to left of recliner. Includes a remote caddy, ps3 and xbox 360 controllers/charging docks, a 6 can soda fridge, small fan, various assorted items and my headset hangs on edge of table on a special clip. Under table is a shelf with postal meeter, and misc items.

On floor usually sits 12 packs or cases of soda to reload fridge with.

Entire area is 9 years in the making and serves as my home office, painting mini area, gameing set-up, combined with ability to watch tv for multi tasking.

Its all in the living room with the couch to the left of the end table allowing me to talk to the wife and be seen rather then hidden away in a room. Wether its paying the bills, publishing Sota news, doing my online shopping, its all ready to go while being able to be sociable with the wife and/or fire up a bluray on the Ps3 :)

Course.. Never get to send as much time there as id like!

15. Talrix

Talrix Avatar

My rig is one year old, but I do not have plans to build a new one until the end of the next year, here are my specs:

CPU: Intel core i7 930 @ 2.80 Ghz
    Motherboard: Gygabyte X58a-UD5
    RAM: 24GB DD3 @ 1600
    Case: Corsair Graphite 600T
    Cooling: Corsair Hydro H80i
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 760 x2 in SLI config
    PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
    OS Drive: Western Digital 2500 250 GB @ 10k RPM
    Storage Drive: Western Digital 1000 1 TB x 5 in RAID 5 @ 10k RPM
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 245bw
    Input: Sony PS3 Controller using MotionJoy Xbox Emulator and XPadder
    Keyboard/Mouse Combo: Logitech Wave 2.4
    Optical Drive: LG DVD RW

16. Retro

Retro Avatar

They are definitely not available yet, 6GB 780GTX's are still hard to get and with good reason, standard 3GB 780ti's blow away every other single video card at any resolution up to 2640x1440, at a price of around $750-850. They have to get rid of existing Titan and Titan Black video card stocks first before they can even think about introducing a 6gb 780ti as it would be a destroyer of worlds and probably be under $1000, meaning Titan's would sit on store shelves indefinitely...

The 6GB 780GTX beats R9 290X most of time

Sources:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/6gb_version_of_the_geforce_gtx_780_ti_planned.html
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...80_oc_6gb_sli_video_card_review/#.U7JMNfldX0c

17. Gretchelle

Gretchelle Avatar

Built mine about 4 years ago and it is still running todays games at their fullest potential.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 bit
    CPU: Intel i7 X980 @ 3.33 GHz, 6 Core, 12 Logical Processors
    Motherboard: Asus RampageIII Extreme
    RAM: Corsair 24GB DDR3
    Storage: 250GB SSD Intel
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series
    Monitor: Samsung 1920 x 1080
    Disk Drive: Blu-Ray/burner
    Power Supply: Thermaltake 1250W
    Mouse: Razor Vespula
    Keyboard: Logitech G19
    Speakers: Bose w/subwoofer

Probably due for a new Video card, more storage and 8 more Gigs of RAM.

18. Retro

Retro Avatar

Build has started!
    CPU: Intel 4790K (Installed in mobo)
    Case: Corsair Air 540 (I love this case, so much room to make a clean build, and the air flow design is awesome, came with 3 140mm fans)
    Cooling: Corsair H110 (Half installed, this was tricky, but electrical tape is your friend here, This added 2 more fans bringing the fan total up to 5, +1 in the power supply)
    I accidental scraped off some of the pre-applied thermal compound, so I cleaned the rest off (so it sits properly) and I'm going to apply my own Arctic MX-4.
    Mobo: GA-Z97X Gaming 5 (Installed, no drama here..this MOBO is slightly smaller than normal)
    RAM: 32GB DDR3 (ADATA) (Installed)
    OS Drive: Plextor M.2 256GB (Installed, first time installing an M.2 drive, quick and painless)
    SSD Storage Drive: SANdisk 480 GB (Installed in the drive cage but not connected
    PSU: EVGA 1000W (Installed, no connections yet)

To be installed\Completed:
    All wiring: case, PSU, drives, fans, fan controller etc.
    OS: Win8.1 64 bit pro, I have never installed an OS from a USB stick, this will be another first. (anyone have a good guide)

New Editions:
    Mouse: Logitech G502 (I found a sale)
    Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 3 Fan Controller (Mounted but not connected)

Still needed:
    GPU: Still undecided. Almost bought ASUS R290X Direct CU2, but decided to hold off since it was so close to the end of the month and there might be new sales.
    Top contenders: R290x, GTX 780 6gb

Wishlist:
    Keyboard: Corsair MX RGB Keyboard (Will order, as soon as it's available)
    Head tracking: Track IR 5 (I'm going to hold off until it is better supported by SC)
    VR: Oculus Rift (Consumer edition, when available)
    Display: will be one of the following...(however none are yet available:()
    Dell U3415w
    AOC u3477Pqu
    LG's 34UM95

Time Lord, Phredicon and Lord Royou like this.
  19. Retro

Retro Avatar

I personally would not add more RAM, it's wasted unless you do lots of video editing or have a RAM drive (So says the fool that just installed 32GB or RAM in his new system :D)

Best bang for buck upgrade for your system IMHO would be a video card (R290, R290X, GTX780 or GTX 780Ti if you have the funds) and monitor that supports 2640x1440, like one of those Korean knock off panels.

Awesome system BTW

I have the Razor Vespula mouse pad, I love it, it completely stopped my corporal tunnel syndrome, I didn't know they had a mouse branded with the same name. I'm going to get another new Vespula mouse pad for my new system thanks for reminding me.

Time Lord, Lord Royou and VonXakk like this.
  20. Retro

Retro Avatar

All wiring completed
    First boot to bios - passed
    All buttons on case checked - passed
    Fan controller tested - passed (this controller is sweet, works better than I expected, love it)
    Flashed Bios to current version - passed

Genius move of the day, built the system on my wife's lazy-Susan cake decorating turn table, so I could flip between sides without having to lift it...(yes I'm quite proud of myself for coming up with this solution, note: do not mention this to wife:p)

Here's a few pics of the wired system and the fan controller on and off with the system running, how's this for "clean build" :)

I need a video card sooooooo badly now....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.