The Armsman! (My second 3D modeling project for SotA)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monkus, May 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

Well after a mighty blacksmith forges a work of art, he will try to sell it - if the piece is of exceptional quality you can be sure The Armsman will be the first to buy it.

Hey Guys,

Well, I actually started this project with the forge about 2 weeks ago just very casually and recently have done many, many hours towards texturing and best practices to get them to the point where they are rigged, easy to scale and are jam packed with small assets! You will notice that a lot of the textures I use are the same I hope the dev's find this style appropriate. Even if it is not the textures are quite easy.

Here is "The Armsman! http://monkus.carbonmade.com/projects/4811449

My next project will probably take about a week to complete!

2. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

Lovely work! Can you do something similar for The Bear Tavern? :)

3. Hew

Hew Avatar

This is impressive work. Good job.

4. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I am very, very impressed. Is this something for reuse (maybe still available) in Unity? I love all of your design. Beginning with the three different armors,the texture of the walls, the house..all! .Very great work.

5. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Yes I have seen some good textures in there, which supporting packs or resources have you used? Post links?

6. Archaaz

Archaaz Avatar

Born and raised in Texas. Currently in India.
    This is quality work. I am also quite impressed.

7. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

I did not use anything from the Unity store actually I used some open source textures from blender then exported them to photoshop and then played with some custom brushes I made on photoshop until I get the look I want.

I currently work as a freelance 3D modeler... In truth I am terrible at texturing, I make up for many of my shortcoming with dynamic lighting.

I used to do database administration and as one of my main hobbies I sculpted clay, I had played around with Maya a few times and found the program such a hassle to actually model or do anything productive. Then Pixelogic released Zbrush which made 3D modeling fun to do and it is such a robust program with tons of features that make my work so easy.

So the things I used to make this were:

Photoshop CS3 (200$) (textures and other maps)
    Zbrush Zr5 (700$) (I do almost everything in here.)
    Blender (Free) (I do some small tweaks in Blender.)
    Custom Photoshop Brushes (source: myself)
    Textures: Blender Library (closed source allowed) or, Photoshop (Homemade)

This will not be showing up in the unity store, I will however upload it onto an FTP server or a webpage. I will likely source it under Creative Commons Attribution when I do release it to public use. Basically just credit me for the work I have put in and we are on good terms!

I already have a few more projects in the works! If you really want to inspire me build something simple in SketchUp or even Minecraft!

ETA on the next 1-2 models will be about May 27.

@Sinclair
    I will never put it up for purchase on any site like that.

@InsaneMembrane
    If there is enough interest in my projects I will create a webpage and post tutorials for making these things for free using Sculptaris (Free Zbrush), GIMP (Free Photoshop), and Blender (Free Maya). I will also include all of the assets I use to make things shown in tutorials.

@Vallas
    Sure thing I was actually really wanting to do a Tavern, I was about to do the FireLotus Tavern because of all that concept artwork on the developer video, but I decided that would be dumb since they will certainly do that design in house.

Alright to be able to do something specific I need some concept art or something... A simple blueprint sketch or reference materials (IE a tavern on Google images, or on Skyrim, anything really.)

8. Vallas (Beran’s Reach)

Vallas (Beran’s Reach) Avatar

We'll do a run of Reference images on thebeartavern.org mate, really keen to see what we can come up with. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.