What if we had some PVP flagged only skills??

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by blaquerogue, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok so a few threads back somone came up with an idea that what if certain armors and weapons did certain amounts of damage to pvp only, but when you go to pve it becomes a +4 sword with earth magic on it or whatever. reflecting the type of weapon or armor it is in PVP.

What if we had titles we would get in pvp that you cannot get in pve like "the vile", "the good" etc.. based on what type of character you are in pvp (a killer or a hero) depending on how many people you killed or decided to let live?
    (back to the quest questions on day one from the start "would you kill this man or let him go?" does the beginning lady still ask that or the oracle? its been so long since ive been there so they may not event do that anymore.

somone mentioned PVP coins that only work in pvp lands.

all those were good ideas that didnt effect the play of PVE

add some things that would not effect PVE players at all and lets discuss it!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Gix

Gix Avatar

I personally despise systems that create exceptions by splitting other systems or abilities for a given activity.

"PvP Gear" with exclusive PvP traits (resilience in WoW, *barf*), skills that only work in PvP or skills that don't exactly work the same way as it does in PvE... Mathematically it made sense but as far as selling the fantasy goes (you know, the whole point of these games), it's all garbage to me.

To name examples: World of Warcraft did the gear thing and the original Guild Wars did the skill thing. It meant that my gladiator couldn't participate in raids (because resilience was ignored by mobs ~ forcing me to get a completely new set of gear by doing activities I didn't care for) and/or I had to learn two sets of damage values and effects for each skill.

I don't mind the concept of "PvP coins" or earned titles as they have no impact on how I'm building or equipping my character but then one has to wonder why PvE can't have those either?

What if PvP was balanced and fun and then PvE encounters were tuned based on the capabilities of the avatars?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok but it would still be a decent peice of armor or weapon in pve? So i dont see a problem with that, there are people running around in pve in death attuned armor and death attuned weapons ( i for one am one of those people) still good to have still good damage, the only difference is i bought it from a player. So supposed you happend to go into pvp get this type of armor/recipe then sell it to people (letting them know by stats on it that it works great here in pve and also great there in pvp with pvp only stats while flagged??? Somewhere along the line PVE have to come to a middle place to meet PVP half way, and vice versus? the armor and weapon works well on both sides but would be great pvp armor while flagged pvp? I dont see that holding anyone back from anything, crafters could craft it, most of your pvp would probably buy it and if a PVE uses it, it just as good.

Oh wait ok i see why your thinking like this........ok so pvp and pve play in the same world, so lets change it up a second, these weapons and armor would only do the special abilities to other PVP while fighting each other! when flagged PVP! when you are not in pvp when your are in pve it reverts to a plus something with a bonus attack, still good.
    let me go back up there and fix that!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

So with that set up it would be beneficial to both PVP and PVE!

5. Gix

Gix Avatar

If I understand you correctly, you're wondering if it would be cool if a single piece of gear had PvP specific bonuses as well as PvE specific bonuses without changing its original function?

I don't believe it solves much as far as my issue is concerned... because its behavior still changes regardless. Even if it was "not bad", wouldn't it be better if these bonuses were on separate pieces so we'd get a wider variety to choose from?

I'm already annoyed that "Pickpocket" is a PvP exclusive thing... but if it had some (different) functionality in PvE, I still wouldn't be satisfied.

I'm just wondering why gear and abilities can't do the same thing in both PvE and PvP...

Consistency is what I'm looking for.

CrazyPhil and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I see where the idea's coming from but I personally don't think it's good design to take that route. I don't like 'artificial' solutions to problems. If the reason behind the idea is to improve and incentivize PvP I think there are better (and more natural) ways to go about it. Having exclusives (PvP OR PvE) seems like it will only be divisive.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

so something just as good in pvp as it is in pve is not acceptable? If im understading correctly. i have a sword i picked up in a pvp zone, the sword does extra damage against PVP only, but when not in pvp its a plus weapon with special crap on it both equally good for either PVP or PVE. What im hearing is no we dont want to meet halfway with something equal as good on either side.

now this is what im hearing even though its a special weapon for both pvp and pve we wont compromise????? I just dont think between PVP and PVE there will ever be a compromise. This is why PVP mostly go for what is good for just them flagged pvp. It would be nice to go into pvp mode for something special otherwise theres no need to flag, what alot of people dont understand is that not ALL pvp just want to go kill off others, they also want something in the game worth going into pvp in the first place, we PVP like risk vs reward its part of the thrill of flagging.

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

For something to "meet halfway" we need (at least) two radically different propositions on a given subject.

If I loot a sword in PvP, I should be able to get the exact same benefits of that sword in PvE and vice-versa. Both PvE and PvP crowds want cool loot, so where's the need to compromise?

I've yet to hear the reasons as to why the gear needs particular bonuses. If the idea of bonuses is to inject interesting loot into the game, I'm all for it but I just don't see why PvE can't have the exact same bonuses.

I get it. You want to entice people to PvP. Like I said, there might be something worth looking into with the whole "PvP coin" thing. Even if it's just a currency that lets you purchase a super unique item from a PvP vendor... so long as those item function the same way in PvE as they do in PvP.

Personally, I think that further balancing the game and offering quick ways to find other PvPers will do a better job at encouraging PvP than to willingly create a divide by baiting people to participate.

On the side note, I don't buy that whole "risk vs reward" thing. If you come to PvP, your reward is pleasure of hunting someone down at the risk of you dying. I think the mindset of expecting any other reward is flawed and promotes friction between players.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

So what would be so special about getting something you can get in PVE also? The problem is the players cam make the best so they wont just have a best or special to drop in game.

10. Gix

Gix Avatar

I never said anything about being able to GET the item in PvE... I said that the item itself should function the same way in PvE as it does in PvP and vice-versa.

11. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

Just my two cents, I would like to see some from of pvp items. Now I'm completely open to how you get them. It would be better served as it own item (no change not changing based on flagged or not. My reason is it may turn out poorly for the game economy. Why buy an item (if crafted) that only works in one type of combat when you could have both?
    Any just a rough though on the over all topic.

This is something to put under a microscope and hash out some ideas.

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Chaosmagic hast some PvP exclusive Skills.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not the point.. dividing PvP and PvE by treating them differently is the problem. There should be no need.

majoria70 and Gix like this.
  14. Curt

Curt Avatar

Wild suggestion.
    Add a new version the gems can be cut into.
    If hit by a weapon with a gem cut for a certain school, discard all? skills from that school and possible draw new skills to replace them (depending how nice we want to be)

Then if a certain school of magic gets to popular people will gem against it and it's usefulness will decrease.

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

So one-trick ponys not only have to content with the idea that they're not as flexible as other players but they'd also might get completely shut down because some guy just happens to gem the counter?

I'm not sure I like that primarily because it encourages everyone to play the same way: Master multiple skill trees or else you're doomed. The "what's the point if everyone can do it" issue is already a large enough as it is.

On top of that, there's no system that prohibits anyone from carrying multiple weapons with a wide variety of gems. "This is my anti-death sword. That is my anti-air battleaxe. This is my anti-chaos dagger." etc...

The more I think about it, the more horrible it sounds to me.

Then there's my main argument: Even if we were to figure out a nice way to do something like this, why does it only have to affect players in PvP? Why couldn't we attack flame elementals with our anti-fire-gemmed bow while questing and get any benefits?

16. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

pointless imho and would bring more bugs
    i dont see why pvp cant just ise the same stuff as everyone else? why a distinction?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.