Why I Feel Disconnected From Shroud... And Still Can't Persuade Others

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nemo Herringwary, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Technically housing judging tours ARE PVP unless NPCs are allowed to enter.

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

3. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

mikeaw - I believe you missed the joke on both of the last two statements.

4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

5. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

Nemo,

I feel like we were sold a bill of goods and it's unclear what will be delivered. I'm not hopeful, but time will tell.

It looks likes the focus is on an MMO and that is not why I pledged. I was expecting this:

(From the Kickstarter page):
    • Shroud of the Avatar is a Selective Multiplayer game, allowing players to choose how they want to play! Whether in Single-Player Offline mode or any of three online modes, the main quest line will provide greater than 40 hours of focused, story driven content.
    So far I've seen a lot of focus on MMO and not much else. Maybe the rest will come later. We'll see.

And yes, the overclocked positivism here is a bit much. Actually, it's starting to get a bit sickening.

6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Both RG and Starr have both already said several times that the narrative part will come last? I don't get that post. WEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL positivism, well that is one way to look at it, especially since the game is in development and we are not getting to see it yet even if it were developed we wouldn't until release. It ok to be negative and voice constructive concern of course, and since they are making the online
    version details first of course that is what is being seen. There was a recent post talking about the offline mode and gave a few details, so hopefully as we go along you will get your answers. I wish that for you since that is what you are looking for.
    I remain mostly positive with feedback of course, we all have our days of course. :) I am here not for the offline version though, but to have terrific experiences and fun with a great community and a game created by an awesome development team that will deliver it for us.:)
    **cheers**

licemeat likes this.
  8. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Really.

Spoon likes this.
  9. no_excuses_its_released

Sorry, but "worst answer ever". Every time a larger functional concern is raised, the answer from the community always seems to be "it's in alpha!" Biggest BS cop-out I can think of. Why not exercise the virtue of Honesty and just say, "We don't care what you think.", because that is the message being sent. People are raising design issues and they get minimized and passed off as unimportant. They don't file them as bugs because bugs are usually for things that are broken. They come here to discuss them and get ignored or worse yet, berated. Add to this the lack of response from the dev side, heavy-handed tactics from moderators, and you can clearly see why people get frustrated and give up. If you don't think it's happening, then you are wrong.

This is the only game I can think of that has so many hate sites cropping up so quickly. Is that not a concern? It should be. I spend time on some of those sites, listening to the criticisms and in many cases they have valid concerns about the game, the development, and the community. The scary part is more people are reading and/or joining them every day.

Port needs to do a reboot and start to engage their backers better. Videos where devs disagree with feedback by shaking their heads, raising their eyebrows, and calling people trolls and making fun of their spelling while offering no useful responses AT ALL, is just unconscionable and offensive. I know they thought is was funny, but attempting humor at the expense of some of their backers? Really?

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this. One of the mods will just pop a power pill and delete/ban as they usually do. Keep hiding the criticisms. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Nothing to see here, move along. Ugh, I'll just screenshot it and can always post it somewhere else later.

I hope Port realizes that if you bury your head in the sand too long, you'll run out of air.

10. Manerd

Manerd Avatar

I for one would really really like to see the Devs stop working on game mechanics and bugs fixes and spend their time on putting more pretty stuff in game so you can have more things to kill. A couple of trolls and a dragon or 2 and HEY, the game is ready to ship. Can you say Tabula Rasa?

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@grimgryphon, I'm sorry if you couldn't hear my tone. I don't set out to devalue your opinion. It is understandable. I just have high hopes for this game and I'm willing to wait it out. I don't say you have to share those opinions or thoughts.
    I don't wish you any ill, I just wish you well, and I also wish for you to find what you are looking for. Possibly Concerns have been raised here and there from day 1 I'm sure, but I've seen some magic happen in the year and a half I've been here, well to me it is magical.
    I've seen a community stick it out and debate over and over on things and the accomplishments and achievements. I've seen people come and go and come back again and that will continue. I welcome you very much, I'm sure you have great ideas. I think I do, so I
    will continue to voice them, like the waterway idea I love to have boating in the game, well later of course in one of the 5 episodes;)

I do not know where we are going or what will be, and please don't think I berate you, I do understand where you are coming from. :)

licemeat and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Interesting discussion. More than a year ago, when my husband and I were raising the exact same concerns in the forums, we were called trolls and nearly drummed out of the forums by the "positivity" crowd claiming the game wasn't complete. This was before they pulled the launch date even. Back then, our concerns had nothing to do with not liking the community or game concepts. It had everything to do with the seeming lack of direction in design. That was, and continues, to be our concern.

But the longer a game is in development, the more people will wind down in their hopes and expectations. Attention span and product window time play a big role in this. It changes attitudes. People that used to only speak positively are now saying things we said a year ago, and even some of the same people who jumped all over me for saying it.

Still, I have increased my pledge recently because I want to see the game succeed.

licemeat, Mordecai and majoria70 like this.
  13. Rabbit

Rabbit Avatar

Both sides of an argument can be extreme, and the extremes are rarely helpful.

The positive extremists refuse to acknowledge criticism and the negative extremists refuse
    to acknowledge progress. Both of these stances are annoying as hell.

What both sides need to understand is that this game is still in a VERY Alpha phase. That's
    neither hype nor a "cop-out"; it's a fact. As investors in the game, everyone has the right
    to be concerned about the return on their investment; that is also a fact.

But we placed our trust in the developers and that needs to be understood as well. We're
    not part of the in-house process, and cannot be expected to understand the order things
    are being developed in, or why. And the team can't be expected to stop developing just
    to TRY and explain every step of that process to the vast majority of us who aren't
    going to understand anyhow. Why aren't the pixels lining up right? Why does it cost
    so much to make it happen? Etc, etc.

So by all means, voice your praises and your concerns. But understand that there is
    a process to everything, and until the game "Releases" we have absolutely no basis
    to state whether or not the team has fulfilled their promises.

Spoon, Kaisa, steanne and 1 other person like this.
  14. no_excuses_its_released

I didn't mean you personally, I meant the community as a whole. Sorry you misunderstood that.

15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Really!

16. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

17. no_excuses_its_released

I want the game to succeed as well. I'm sitting pretty at the Knight level, and my increase in pledges has been based on faith.

Those days are over. Any increase from this point on will be based on action. Talk is cheap (or in my case, cheap apparently means $800).

18. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I'm glad you added that last bit, because if you hadn't, I'd have been forced to point out your apparent definition of "cheap". lol. I'm only into it 100some, but I too am really hesitant to go much further based upon what I've been seeing. I'd like to at least get to the point of a rent-free deed, even just a Row, but... What's the point of spending that much to have a house in a game where the final product isn't anywhere close (and by that, I mean worse) to what you were initially expecting?

19. no_excuses_its_released

"Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides." - Margaret Thatcher

licemeat likes this.
  20. Rabbit

Rabbit Avatar

Picking a side before the teams are even assembled is an idiot's bet. -Rabbit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.