Will Shroud have Factions? NPC Factions

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Sold and gone, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok here's how I see it.. the whole point of factions is faction relations. What gets really complicated is trying to allow players to join NPC factions and then effect that faction's relations with other factions. There's just too many people involved. So what you end up with basically is predefined relations that are only changed when in-game staff run major events to determine if there's going to be a change at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it's not something that runs itself.

Now with guilds you're dealing with much smaller groups where the entire thing can be automated by using the same system that tracks your individual behavior in-game. A guild member runs around attacking members of a particular NPC faction vs helping them out.. that's nice and simple. As for guild relations with other guilds you leave that alone since that is up to guild members.

I don't see any reason why the two can't run side by side.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    It is not my intent in this thread for that. But you can start your own thread on that. Factions did exist in UO and did represent different cities. It worked just fine. Each faction was at war with each other. There were tons of people that did it and there were no problems. Loners and guilds did join. Again, my intent is to play the storyline and if guilds want to join the factions thats ok. I am not in favor of making every guild a faction however. If you choose to represent your idea please start a new thread on it as it is off topic to mine. Thank you.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

updated title to show my intent

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hey I just commented once then replied to your responses. If you don't want to discuss it then don't ask questions about it.

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I'm not saying I dont want to discuss it, I just want to discuss my idea, not your idea. ;) Thank you though, I did not say your idea was invalid, It is just a different Idea than I have. I suggest you make a post on it in clarity :)

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I didn't say that you did.. and I'm not trying to discourage anyone from discussing your idea. I was just trying to clarify for you since you responded and then asked how I would do it. So by all means.. your thread.. your idea.. please continue..

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Ok, well take the city of Etceter, It used to be a pirate town. Perhaps in episode 2 when there are ships that sail there would be a pirate npc there that you could sign up with for his faction. In Andoris you could sign up for the shogun's faction. Ib Estgard you could sign up with the Norse faction. So and so forth. Storyline factions. You would follow the path that the city has chosen. You would defend the city under attack. This could extend to different races too. You could visit the Kobald town and join their faction. Or the Satyrs. You would become friendly with these races and at war with others. Even the bandits might have a faction. Or the Cabalists.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Are you thinking this would be quest driven? And/or event driven..

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I'm thinking it would be for role play and for pvp. As the guild wars have rewards for winning, factions do to. The difference is that its npc based instead of having a human guild leader. The factions in UO are simular to the guild system here where as it will give rewards. Faction rewards can only be used against other factions and not outside of factions. If it is pvp gear from factions then it will be usesless outside of factions. I have not thought about the quests or do not even know that we need any. But I would not mind them. Definatly possible to build up your reputation with the faction. I would suggest player driven events instead of gm events, unless portalarium has extra time to do so.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Here is the overview of factions from UO so you can get kind of the idea from what I am talking about.
    http://www.uoguide.com/Factions

The Faction System is a broad game system designed to promote organized player conflict within the society of Britannia. The fundamental goal of the conflict is to provide a foundation for player conflict based upon meaningful and contextual combat and conflict-related interactions. The system is designed to encourage the inclusion of a wide array of player types through the use of game mechanics that appeal to a broad set of play-styles. [1]

When Minax took over Lord British's realm, she started a rift, both among her followers, and among the followers of Lord British. Both sides split into two different groups, with different ideals, and war ensued among all 4 sides.

The rebellion began in Moonglow, where the council of Mages decided that Lord British was no longer fit to rule Britannia. He'd not only failed to protect his lands from the invading hordes, but many of his own people had abandoned him and fled to the side of darkness, taking post with one of the factions of evil.

British's loyal followers tried to crush the rumors quickly that Moonglow was planning on seceding from the throne's grasp, but this only furthered their cause, making those who died or were jailed martyrs for the cause of the mages. The Council of Mages now believes that what Britannia needs is a new leader: one who can not only lead Britannia against Minax, but who can also keep peace once it's restored. To this end, they have begun preparations to do something drastic.

Though they've never had to do this themselves, they are the keepers of the arcane knowledge, and they have prepared many notes and items which they will need in their quest. They oppose Minax, and Lord British, and as such, are not safe from danger in either company.

Meanwhile, Minax has something of a rebellion herself occurring. Strangely enough, from within her own rank and file, there are those who are calling for the Shadow Lords to be released from the Abyss to take their rightful place as the rulers of the dark land. While her minions are grateful to Minax for allowing them the opportunity to strike terror at Lord British, they feel she is only useful as a magical tool, and is not powerful enough to lead them against Lord British for an extended period of time. To this end they have begun preparations to do something drastic of their own; call for the Shadow Lords.

Her minions are now split amongst those who would follow her, and those who wish to see her dethroned. Infighting is the only thing thus far that is keeping Minax from working out a way to breach the virtue spell that protects Lord British and his followers.

Factions is a group PvP system that exists only within the Felucca facet. The system consists of 4 Factions, 2 good and 2 evil, struggling for control of Britannia. Control is determined by eight Felucca cities (Britain, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Vesper and Yew). Cities are captured by stealing the town Sigil, taking it back to your base, holding it for 10 hours to corrupt, and then placing it back in the respective town. The town is secured for 3 days until the sigil can be stolen once again. All factions are aggressive towards each other, meaning each faction member can be attacked freely by members of another faction. This type of warfare only takes place in Felucca, enemy faction players appear neutral in all other facets.

To join a Faction, visit the stronghold of the one you wish to join and use the signup stone located near the entrance. You will be given a robe to show you allegiance and be able to join in the fight immediately.

The Factions
    True Britannians

They follow the teachings of Lord British and their base is Castle Britannia in Britain.

Council of Mages

A good matured faction that have issues following the teachings of Lord British. Their base is in the Parliament Building in Magincia.

Minax

They follows the evil mage Minax. They are based in a mountain stronghold.

Shadowlords

This faction follows 3 demonic entities known as the Shadowlords. Their base is the Yew Crypts.

Leadership Roles
    Faction players are eligible for public office within their faction. The three eligible offices are: the office of Faction Commander, Town Sheriff, and Town Finance Minister.

Faction Commander

The office of Faction Commander is attained through an election process that occurs once per week. There is only one commander per faction. The Faction Commander may send a global command to all faction members twice per hour by simply saying, "message faction". Most commands made by the Faction Commander are decided through Faction and Town Stones.

Town Sheriff

Appointed by the elected Faction Commander to control the placement of guards in a captured faction city. There is one sheriff per city. Town Sheriff may view the town/city treasury and may hire guards by simply saying, "I am Sheriff" out loud.

Town Finance Minister

Appointed by the Faction Commander to manage taxes and resource vendors in a captured city. There is one finance minister per city. The Finance Minister may access the town/city treasury to change tax rates and may hire vendors by saying, "I wish to access the city treasury".

Items
    Starting with Publish 56, players can now use silver to purchase special items and equipment. These items are only usable by faction players. Worn equipment requires a certain level rank to use. Inside each stronghold near the faction stone is a Cooperative Collection chest. Donate silver to it and collect rewards. In the future, silver donated to the faction in this way will be beneficial to the faction.

Items

• Faction Stronghold Rune - 150 silver - On use, the faction member will be teleported directly to their stronghold faction stone, destroying the rune in the process. All normal flagging rules apply. A cool down between uses applies based on rank.
      • Shrine Gem - 100 silver - Upon death, the faction member will be offered to be teleported to a random shrine. If accepted, they are teleported and the gem is destroyed. The gem is blessed.
      • Supernova Potions - 100 silver - On use, creates a ring of fire around the player that inflicts fire damage to enemy targets within a 5 tile radius. The closer the enemy, the higher the damage will be. Damage is increased based on player’s Alchemy skill and Enhance Potions item property. There is a 2 minute cool down between uses.
      • Greater Stamina Potion - 50 silver per potion - On use, restores 100 stamina points over 5 seconds. The player cannot drink another such potion while one is already active.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

Loved factions in UO. Faction Traps!!!!! Yess!!!

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have wanted this for a long time. I am sure there are some old posts here with me griping about it. I'll take whatever I get, but I would like to see this. :)

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

:) Awesome! Lets make it happen!!! *bangs drums to get attention*!!!

Ravicus, The Obsidian Eye and Tahru like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

wooooo factions!

15. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm just here because I heard some distant drumming and wanted to check it out. The drumming led me here . . Oh. .you're talking about Factions in SOTA. I'm all for it, lets do it!

16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I'm already seeing it... The POT addicts declaring war to the Self-Labeled True PVPers while the RPers of the Forgotten Background make an alliance with the Raiders of the Lost Dungeon just to betray them and join the HouseKeepers because it was an interesting twist...

O wait, that's forum factions. Back to topic... I'd love to see Factions inside the game! anything that can facilitate conflict or in game interaction is definitely welcome :D

(forgive me all, I know i'm a bit over my usual silliness but i've been doing boring stuff all day and i got easily distracted, so jokes come easily reading around and... i just can't help to drop a joke, regardless of its quality :oops:)

Ravicus, 4EverLost, Adam Crow and 4 others like this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Love the idea of factions. This would be a major draw for a few of my friends that are on the fence about getting involved in this game before launch. Couldn't be happier to see something like UO has set up, implemented here.

Ravicus and Tahru like this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.