Will you be part of a Kickstarter/Pledge for the next Episode release?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Sep 24, 2016.

?

Will you pledge in the second kickstarter (Episode 2) and at what level?

1. Same as in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

16.0%
  2. Greater than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

13.6%
  3. Lower than in Episode 1 Kickstarter...

24.5%
  4. I will not pledge in an Episode 2 Kickstarter...

45.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Some might say it's not the audience's role to be telling the devs what to do. Some might even say that when devs are being paid to work this stuff out they should, you know, work stuff out.

Your way of thinking, Starman, seems to have an element of buck passing in it, like it's OK for devs to make something that's sub-standard, because the audience will tell them what to do instead.

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I wonder if it is the same 'starman' who was tied in knots by Titler on the steam forums. It would make sense to me if it is.

Human pretzel.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Canterbury likes this.
  3. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ever hear of the phrase "Either be part of the problem or part of the solution"? The concept of offering ideas as how to change something for the better when perceived as not optimal is one from grade school and would serve many of those in this world (in all things) who do nothing other than complain. In most GA games, the players are the audience; however, SotA Devs do listen to player feedback, as without it they are working in a vacuum.

In other games, I have had the honor of working directly with the Devs (such as in ESO where I am a member of the Psijic Order (a very small group of Alpha Testers) and the Council of Nirn (a very small group of guild leaders who have direct recurring meetings with the Devs to assist in translating player feedback into useful changes in the game)).

In SotA we have better access and better give/take feedback with the Devs that any other game I've worked on or played. In our case (SotA) we are not the audience; we are part of the game itself, part of the dev process, and have an opportunity to make an impact and help create something better.

There are a number of threads on the SotA board as of late discussing all sorts of things relating to fairness, server wipes, and features not yet ready, etc.. I don't think I need to remind anyone that we are here by choice in a pre-release state to assist the Devs. This gives us the ability to benefit from early access, but it certainly doesn't give us the right to just complain about things and expect miracles. No need to raise anyone's stress level; let's all work together.

If the "audience" doesn't give viable input in various games and other software, then you would almost certainly see "this is what the market wants" using "formulas" to make games in much the same way the television shifts from Westerns to Crime Dramas to Comedy etc. They only look at their competition, and ignore the indie world or the feedback. I for one am thrilled to be playing/working in a world where "they" are listening.

I, for one, don't want anyone to rush this game out the door. With the correct attention from the Devs and the helpful support of the backers, Episode 1 will be a great success and if/when there is a kickstarter for another Episode then there won't be any problems finding backers. Though, it should be noted that if Episode 1 is truly successful, then a second kickstarter may not even be required.

CatherineRose, Hornpipe and majoria70 like this.
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Sure I've heard it. I've also heard expressions like, "You're either with us or against us..." all of which are, at the end of the day, just expressions, which can be taken as lightly, or as seriously as one desires on an individual basis.

Put another way, you've just given a point of view. Fantastic! It's not the only point of view out there, however. It's perfectly valid -- and I think more correct -- to believe that the buck stops with the devs when it comes to decisions.

I know in crowd-funded game communities, part of the shtick is, "We're really listening to you!" on one side and, "We're being heard!" on the other. It goes on a lot. SotA is not a unique snowflake in this by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess that sort of environment can blind people the fact that, at the end of the day, the devs are still driving this bus. Decisions are ultimately on their head as they are the final filter between an audience that wants it all, and reality.

5. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

This is one of my biggest problems with Shroud as it stands. I'm not a developer and few if any on this forum are outside of the devs. I expected forward thinking from a team that touted their experience in game creation. I also expected community feedback to be part of the process.

What i didn't expect was that community belittling honest feedback as whining or demanding solutions be proposed for any criticism.

It's really discouraging and it's the singular reason I do not post my problems with gameplay on the forums. I don't have solutions. I'm not a designer and no one should listen to how I'd fix something. I do feel they should listen to what I feel isn't working.

I'm a whiner and complainer, even without doing so. I'm well aware my opinion holds no value to the community here because they've made that clear in their many many responses to others. Ultimately, I just won't end up playing rather than participating in the community feedback aspect of the game development I wished to take part in. And even here, I'm sure I'm just a whiner.

It's as though armchair designers are all that have worthy feedback.

Mykll, Atmosfear, Sir Frank and 6 others like this.
  6. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

In all honestly I simply expected the forums to be like that as soon as I heard them advertise "community focused". The two things are generally linked. It is less bad here than other games I have been a part of.

The main problem with any internet based project is that it will bring you into contact with internet people. As we are all aware, internet people area noxious and loathsome bunch at the best of times.

Dont take it to heart, it isnt only you. Just say your bit and move on. If someone says something supportive or useful be suprised and make note of it, otherwise just ignore the white noise.

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yeah, I was surprised by the comment too... but it seems to fit the MO of the community that if someone doesn't like SoTA, nothing they say is apparently of value or should be taken seriously.

It's the kind of head in the sand mentality that I even became a party to, in the early development days, looking at a game that just wasn't very good at all, but everyone's like, "Hey! This is great!"

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Mykll and Canterbury like this.
  9. Rip Saya

Rip Saya Avatar

This game has great potential that I really hope is realized. Additional KS should be off the table. What would they going to offer for pledge rewards? Deeds are in largely in surplus, and they set a precedent with the new packages that rent-free anywhere deeds are off the table. All the packages, even the reliquary, are POT only deeds. Releasing more rent-free anywhere deeds will upset a lot of people who had to settle for those packages. The whole thing seems like pandora's box.

The real choice is to make a great EP1, start marketing and making money to make the next EP2. That is just my opinion.

Numa likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We can't release the game yet. I get so amazed at people thinking this is all there is or will be. like hey go hang out in your decorated house and socialize with your buds or buddettes. omg this is nothing yet. How long do you think anyone could go on in this game with nothing connected, every system separated, very little or few reasons or penalties for things. Sure there is the story but where is the fiber that connects it all together. Where are the choices, and some choices may hurt sometimes. duh not there yet. We are missing many pieces and details and carrying on conversation after conversation based on heresay and lack of knowledge which is toxic to all of us. If there are issues let's fight for the game. I'm a request for this thread to be shut down, and I dare any of you with complaints to further a constructive conversation for what this game needs and yes again and again until we get what is missing the presence of which would make the difference to this games success. Otherwise wait it out if you can't help or choose to whine, just please choose to help. We are all gamers who have experience to offer, let's use it.

edited ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Personally.... I'm a patient man.:confused:

Things need fixin' and I think they know it... plus - there's still LOTS to come.

I'm good to hang in and see where we go............ :)

I'll still ***** a lot, but that's only because I CARE ! ;)

Peace.......:cool:

12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

LOL good one ;-)

FrostII likes this.
  13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well, if patience isn't a Virtue.... it should be.
    It often works just fine. ;)

I have faith in RG and DS to take us home......:)

14. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Beating her opinion into noobs since kickstarter '12 :eek:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Numa and majoria70 like this.
  15. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

*tears the sleeves off his shirt and casts them aside and lashes his back fiercely with reeds

*witnesses a strange sphere of light intensify behind Majorias head as angelic singing resonates from beyond to Bach's 'Sleepers Awake', cantata BMV 140

16. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

No, I will not. I pledged enough in the initial drive to ensure I received the entire game, including all planned episodes.

17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The forums here are full of honest feedback and constructive criticism that is neither belittled nor dismissed as whining. In my opinion it is legitimate to ask someone who gripes about something to propose a solution.

Only a tiny minority of posters complain about their feedback being "belittled" or being jumped on for expressing a negative opinion. In my experience, the people who repeatedly complain about it post only bitingly sarcastic comments, and often post accusations and/or veiled (or open) insults against the devs or players who enjoy the game. When I see certain names, I don't even have to read their posts to know beforehand what they contain.

Everybody is free to disagree with me. I won't complain that they belittle my feedback or jump on me just because they have a different opinion.:)

Numa, Thwip, Rip Saya and 3 others like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol edited to make more sense ;). yep I'm here ;)

Mykll likes this.
  19. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

So that comment, "Complainers are losers..." that people reacted to in this thread, for example, was an aberration? A one off, perhaps?

I guess there's always an excuse for everything. "Well, that they meant was..." or "What the devs are trying to do is..." and so on and so forth.

The more years that tick by, the less the core game changes, the more excuses people offer, the more blind faith we see in posts... some of us are just over it.

Mykll, Kaisa and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  20. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

So, in the spirit of being part of the solution (instead of putting forth repeated rhetoric) ...

What is wrong with the core game, and what would you suggest be done to correct it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.