Winning and Losing in PVP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

After thinking about the current system of pvp for a bit I realized that what bothers me the most about it is that once you kill someone they just come right back.

Posting guards is wonderful, but only if once they dispatch of a problem the problem isn't right back in their face. That's too much FPS and it ruins roleplaying. As a roleplayer, when you die, I want that to be eventful. I want to talk about it, I want to go about my business. I don't want to play best 46 out of 73 for the remainder of the day. You lost, so sorry, go away now.

And that's one of the major things I feel is wrong with where we are now. For example if someone ruins an event because they just keep coming back relentlessly. There's no challenge there, there's no fun there. It's just an abuse of the mechanics.

So what I'd like is an option for POT owners to set up PVP POTs to automatically force non-residents to respawn outside of the POT and then be locked out of the POT for a period of time (probably 3 hours). It's not a ban, it's a byproduct of being defeated in the POT.

It's like having home field advantage.

Birne Gilmore, StevieD, Zader and 8 others like this.
  2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Hmm...Thinking about it wouldn’t it be more fitting if we could adjust the death delay timers? (don’t know the term devs were using ;))
    If I understood it right the current death delay timer is adding a specific number of seconds each time you die in a short period and you have to wait longer and longer to resurrect at an ankh the more often you die. E.g. first death you have to wait 30 seconds, after the second death you have to wait 60 seconds and so on.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if this death delay interval would be different depending on each location? E.g. in Owls Head it is just 10 seconds, in Aerie it is 20 seconds, in the north celestial wetlands it is 35 seconds or in grunvald shardfalls 90 seconds.
    As PoT-owner you could adjust this setting to have a shorter or longer respawn time. Maybe a fixed number of seconds but I think a multiplier for the standard would be more fitting solution (e.g. 0.1*30seconds to 10*30seconds).

The devs would have to create a new mechanic for it…so nothing for ep1 but this mechanic could also be used for different other possibilities. E.g. in a broiling scene (desert or lava) water is vaporizing quite fast and that way water magic is less effective, spawn rates of monsters and resources could be different based on the scene, even day and night times could vary (e.g. longer days around the equator and longer nights near the polar ice caps)…”simply” all current times and values could get a modifier that can be changed to individualize the scene.
    PoT-owners would get just a small selection of the modifiers (maybe in an options menu for the PoT) while the devs could change dozens or even hundreds of values. Of course this would be a bigger change than (maybe) intended by Baron Drocis Fondorlatos but in the long run maybe a better solution. :D

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Amen. And the option to allow full loot inside your POT. Now that would make it more interesting.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

What is Our POT Government o_O?'
    Governors should have the right to ban
    <---<<< That's as simple as it gets in government... to stretch that a bit further... I'd also say that "Mayors" should also have this privilege.

Government or Gardeners :confused:?'
    I don't think our POT Government entitled players should be nothing more than real-estate agents and gardeners :(...
    It seems a clear choice to me... ;)!'
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    blaquerogue, Fister Magee and Budner like this.
  5. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I think you are all so wrapped up in just killing each other you don't have an opportunity to examine your issues from outside.

This isn't rocket science - but I believe the PvP community really doesn't understand itself as a whole.

I think you all need to stop asking for temporary solutions to problems and start asking for real solutions that are not that difficult to create and would create a much more immersive experience for everyone.

Let me examine it for you from an outsiders perspective...

IMO what is needed is permanency in PvP - real consequences for crimes.

If you want immersion then you want a real solution just like in RL.

Just killing a players "toon" does nothing to give permanency or consequence to their actions. Hold every one accountable.
    • You want to be a thief? No problem be one - however if you get caught you will suffer the consequences.
    • You want to be an anti-social murderer? No problem be one - however when you get caught suffer the consequences.
    • You want to be an assassin? No problem be one - however when you get caught suffer the consequences. And BTW... Assassins DO NOT discuss their targets or how much they got paid for "offing" so and so - get over yourself. That's not being an Assassin that's being blabber mouth child not worthy of being hired!
    Consequences...

PvP should not be an "everything is allowed free for all". That is called chaos and serves no purpose to the game, but to give the jollies to 12 year old acting anti-social misfits.

If you want to run a town, think of it as a town not a bunch of pixels thrown on the screen willy nilly. Get creative, look at your own real life town and model it to your vision.

Here are a few examples of what I think you all are missing:
    • Jails - implement them and make them real.
    • Jury system - you have towns, use them! What do you all think happens in a town?
    • Banishment areas - Use the shards devoted for PvP as banishment areas for major crimes committed. Make criminals stay there for a certain amount time - fine them and make them pay before they are allowed to leave.
    • Fines - you steal and get caught, get fined - not just a slap on the wrist either - get flagged that some level/duration of community service is required to repay the debt - maybe it's providing some amount of resources to the victims home town/owner - hides, cotton, ore... Fill in the blanks! Come on, you can all think of some way to levy a fine on someone.
    Owners of a town can/should be able to place griefers in jail once caught committing a crime - don't give me the garbage "what is a crime - it's pvp everything is allowed" - you know what a freaking crime is or you were raised in the jungle by morons!

Once in jail, a criminal can get a trial or not - no lawyers needed - state your case to a jury and deal with the consequences based on the crime.

Jail can be up to the town owner, mayor or some other agent, can be a temporary place until your event is over or more - you work it out it's your town

Griefers need to be dealt with - off to jail you go until you learn how to play nice with others - have your day in court and if the jury finds you a griefer - banned from returning to that town until such time that the owner deems you re-rehabilitated and worthy

Murderers need to go to Jail - Period, if caught of course!

Have a trial, deal with it in game - use your RP skills to decide their fate. Since you can't kill them permanently, you should be able to banish them to an area for a given amount of time - I'm not suggesting permanent bans - I am however suggesting a temporary banishment to one of the PvP shards.

Heck, have a public stoning or a dunking pool - that's what they did during the middle ages and some countries continue today! Invite the your town to a public stoning or dunking.

Come on people, use your imagination - if you want to RP PvP then RP it!

Heck create a world committee for doling out sentences for crimes - you all seem to know most of each other - can you not help yourselves?

Get real world solutions to your problems - not a temporary ban that does nothing to stem the tide of one persons idea of "pvp - everything is allowed".

Otherwise, you will continue to have complete and utter chaos and no Dev solution will ever fit for everyone.

Thanks for reading

/RANT

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would go to that town all the time to lose all my stuff! :)

Skizz and Time Lord like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~A Bit Too BDSM For Me, But I Feel Ya~;)
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

8. Jon B

Jon B Avatar

PvP should allow full loot, except coins since there is no way to put coins in your bank. Once coins can be put into a bank, well then full loot. Your fault for carrying the best items you can if you lose them.

9. Drocis the Devious

That just encourages people not to risk good items. Which means there will be a lot of people running around with worthless crap on. No thanks.

I'd much rather see players be required to risk something when the lose before being allowed to enter a PVP zone. There are a lot of BIG TALKERS in pvp that never actually risk anything.

Money talks, bs walks.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree. Not sure if they could but maybe tag non lootable items to not be wearable in pvp situations. I know its a stretch but something to think about.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is a big issue with never ending respawning "lives" and such. Hard to find a solution. Lots of directions to go but each direction could easily have unintended consequences.

IE, kill someone and when they respawn they are phased into a different instance of a zone. They can't return to the fight they where just in. But it dwindles the populations interested in PvP. A short term phase might help there.

Interesting topic for sure.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Yeah, this is especially true considering how high the diminishing returns on gear is in SotA. Plain gear isn't much less effective than fancy gear and small upgrades require large time investments. I don't mind that it works that way, but it makes it pretty hard to expect that many people are going to wear really nice stuff into PvP. Having some kind of requirements or automated wagering mechanic would be neat.

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You know, the more I think about it. It would be nice to limit pledge reward equipment and add on store items to the social scenes. If they wear pledge or add on items into a pvp area then they drop into the backpack and cannot equip them until they leave the area.

14. Drocis the Devious

I have an even better idea (and during the last telethon Starr and Chris briefly seemed to mention this might be in play).

Make all wearables have "skins". Then if you wear something and it gets looted, it's the "skin" that is looted, not the item.

So for example, let's say I buy an Elven Robe in the add-on store. And lets say there's a way to make robes in the game by crafting them. The two robes are identical (stat wise), they just look different. But now crafters can create "skins for both robes" to give them more functionality. +5 INT and Life Drain, for example. So when my robe is looted in pvp, I don't lose the add-on store item, I just lose the stats. The player that killed me gets the stats (skin) but only has the regular crafted robe, not the shiny one from the add-on store.

I don't know when (or if) they'll be getting around to doing this, but I think it's the best solution to even out pvp and allow people to both wear what they have without shielding themselves from risk, and also allowing items purchased in the store (or pledges) to be enchanted and modified. I hope it happens someday. :)

15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

not a bad idea at all. One thing that bothers me is the baron/duke/lotm crowns with the light buff and the high stats (unless they nerfed them, I am not sure) With my idea it would create a level battlefield with no extra buffs (no pay to win for people to complain about)

16. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I think this is an excellent idea. As the Baron says, people will continue to repeat the process until they win the fight(which in this case after several attempts would be by luck). This would keep people from abusing that if they had to have a timeout period before attempting again :p

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

You mentioned full loot. I have a plan that this could be done through guild warfare, check out this idea if you want here.

18. Drocis the Devious

You can still put a skin on top of those crowns. Then they're not losing the crown, they're losing the skin and it would have to be re-enchanted. Which because it was an item that couldn't be destroyed in the enchantment process would have to be limited to like 1 enchantment.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

so basicaly if you loot a "dukes crown" you get a headpiece with the dukes crown stats, being that you cannot have a crown if your not a duke? Or can we loot the skin of a crown that actually looks like a crown with the stats but not as bright and shiny as the real duke crown? That would be pretty cool.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

if you run around with worthless crap on then you deserve to be killed in a PVP situation. So i dont feel sorry for someone that puts themselves in a situation where the end game was based on stupidity!
    Tactics plays the most part in any PVP fight.

Abydos and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.