1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Yule Stockings!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

These are wonderful! Thank you, @Scottie

I sure hope we get wrapped gifts. Last year we had to build them for our Christmas decos, out of books we built into boxes!

2. Acred

Acred Avatar

These are delightful!

I'm already looking forward to crafting these and stuffing them with something yummy (and yes, @Sir Frank , also a coin) for a few mates. I'll be Scrooge-like with the special ones from the store, though.

Thank you for all the hard work and sharing the result, @Scottie . Will they be available for R37? December 15th?

Scottie, Alexander and Hazard like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'd love to get a set of mini-gustball emotes! /bounceball, /hackeysack, /solitaryconfinement...

4. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Thanks! And yes indeed, wrapped gifts are being planned now too! ^_^

lollie, Acred, Lord Barugon and 3 others like this.
  5. Scottie

Thanks,...and you're very welcome! I'm not sure exactly when they'll be available,...but the plan is "in time for the holidays!"...

6. Scottie

^_^

lollie, majoria70 and Alexander like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Scottie, I know this is off topic but when can we get different kinds of book covers? I really need black decaying covers for my 20 volume set on death magic. :)

Here I'll put this back on topic...these books would make great stocking stuffers.

lollie and Scottie like this.
  8. Scottie

Ha ha! Well,...new book covers/styles may not be back on my schedule for some time, certainly not in this milestone... If/When I start working on some again, I'll do my best to include something like that... ^_^

x_Selene_x, moko, lollie and 3 others like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Awesome!

Please put "shadow" bindings on your consideration list too! Kind of like the ghost raven/dog, the book covers would look shadowy. :)

10. Scottie

[​IMG]
    I have successfully tested the Yule Stockings I've made, and they seem to work wonderfully in all of the situations I wanted them to work (and even a few I didn't...^_^)! The important thing to remember when placing them as decorations is that their rotation (gained most easily by holding down the CTRL key and hitting the "Q" button a number of times until it rotates by 45 degrees into the position you want it to be in) is VERY key to making them look good once you place them down. These things absolutely have a "back" and a "front"; the "hanging loop" with the nail curves out toward the "back" of the stocking, and should be pointed toward whatever horizontal surface you're hanging it from... Keeping that basic thing in mind, you can get it to hang from a large number of appropriate furnishings! Here, for instance, are the stockings attached to the Great-Hearth model, which I placed outside the test house I laid down... I had originally assumed that this wouldn't work, and that I'd have to re-model it a bit to give it some horizontal surfaces for it to stick to, but through some dark magic I don't fully understand, they just so happen to stick to the very under-edge of the over-hang shapes... You can't see the nail, in this case (except the pointy point sticking through on the bottom ones), but it looks good enough to me!

[​IMG]

Below you can see me having used the deco system to place these stocking upon furniture on the inside of the house! And as you can see, I tested this in a great number of cases just to see if you could get away with putting them on all kinds of horizontal furniture surfaces near the edge (which is what they are designed for)... They seem to work nicely on large, small, and rounded tables of all kinds, as well as cabinets and dressers too! Of course, I festooned the fireplaces too, for which they were originally intended.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the stockings fitting on the bookcase shelves (I tried them all) and even the shelves you can place as a wall deco! You'll note, if you look carefully, that I was even able to place the stockings on the front of the big-bellied iron fireplace, but had to avoid the very front of it because the stockings collided with the outcropping front of the stove itself, disallowing placement.... This makes sense, though, since you wouldn't want that fabric actually touching burning hot metal! ^_^ I was still able to get all sizes attached to it, though, even if I had to put the largest stocking on the side corner to allow it to fit... One thing to note, though (as you can see on the image above), the lowest, smallest tables won't allow for the placement of the largest stocking, because then they'd intersect the floor itself! Can't have THAT!
    [​IMG]

Of course, we also want them to be appropriately place-able in areas of the house itself, but we had to make the choice of it being a "Wall" type deco (in which case it couldn't be placed on the furniture easily) or a "Floor" type deco, which would allow it to work on horizontal furniture surfaces easily and still be placed on any properly-shaped horizontal "deco-surfaces" attached to a house... In this case that last choice seemed to be the best way to go! So after Rick set it up, I tested it on some of the house surfaces and it looks like it should be good! You can see a few places I tried which worked nicely, including a built-in hearth (though we're planning to add a better mantel to those in the near future to make them work better and look even more "finished"), and the floor lip at the edge of a row-house stairway... It might even work on some window-frames,...but it's important to remember that it will only work in places where horizontal deco-surfaces have been invisibly placed... Not all houses have them in all the places you might visibly think they should, because they can be tricky to get right... Like the fireplaces, it's necessary to accept that they will work in a lot of circumstances, but not always everywhere you might want them to... The best choice is always placing them on furniture as designed...
    [​IMG]

Now, as to how these actually function in-game... We're trying to avoid creating special new systems for everything, so giving gifts like this will NOT be treated like a secure trade (too many issues and exploits for containers with stuff hidden in them). Instead, these will be treated like anything else you can lay down in your house and set permissions for individually. This just means you should only invite people into your home for gift-giving parties you truly feel you can trust as friends (just like the real world!).
    * When setting up your space to hold some kind of gift-giving party, you would lay out your stocking/gift, label that gift container as being for whomever you want it to be labeled, and set that container item with the lowest permissions level so that anyone can take it (don't worry about having to set permissions on the stuff you put in it, since stored items in containers "adopt" the state of the container itself once placed inside, and are no longer considered "in" the host's house anymore). Thus, your guest Scottie could look at all the gifts until he finds the one labeled "To Scottie", or even "Scottie's Stocking", and he would know that's the one for him!
    * When you click on them like you would a container, the contents will either appear in List Mode or GUMP Mode (what some call "Bag" Mode, where you can actually see the art that looks like the real container object, which in this case would look like a cute generic Yule stocking gaping open to show all its jumbled contents!).
    * Your guest could then take that container, filled with all their gift goodies, and put it in their own inventory to enjoy at their house later!
    * Of course, a guest could try to take everything marked in this way,...but that would make them a jerk,...and it's important to remember to NOT INVITE JERKS TO A GIFT PARTY (just like in the real world)... Luckily, even learning the hard way still means all your OWN stuff is safe from theft, since only those things you expect to be taken as gifts will be marked with this lowest level of permissions....

Anyway,...I hope you find this fun,...because I think these, along with the eventual wrapped presents, will make the gift-giving events really cool!

Enjoy!

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Acred, niteowl57, lollie and 10 others like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

@Scottie
    I'm totally buying these when they come out. I'll hang them in my home over my fireplace. But I'm really hoping that I'll get something like this when the holiday's come. :)

I love the "rare item" stuff that ends up being part of the history of the game. Especially if it's some kind of resource that can be used in the crafting process.

Who would send a gift like that though? The Oracle?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Cassandra Corax and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh you're the best Scottie. I so love how you explained it all and even showed us pictures, omg that was above and beyond and thank you so much for that. I loved reading and seeing it all. Also thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the love and care you put into adding this to the game and for all your hard work. It is truly appreciated. This game deserves all the very best things as well. You are truly the perfect person working on this game. I am so happy you are here. I know we will have a fantastic game because all the developers making this game have their hearts in it. That is what will create the magic. Now for us as players and backers if we ongoingly will provide constructive and considerate feedback galore for those times when it will really help, would be so very fantastic ;)

Ronan, lollie and Scottie like this.
  13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@Scottie I loved reading about your journey creating these. Thanks for sharing. They look great.

14. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

@Scottie These are so amazing I wouldn't mind having real ones! Thank you for the pictures and placement details. Right away, I had a vision of crafting hard candy and candy canes to place inside as gifts. Any chance for one or two new recipes for those? It's mostly sugar, which we already have, and it could even be somewhat useful, for example, maybe they could give a 2 minute buff appropriate for having a sugar-high, such as a minor movement speed increase.

And my in-game kitty really wants a miniature gustball (or craftable ball of yarn) toy I can place on the floor, even if a play-with-toy animation isn't on the to-do list, but someday, I would enjoy watching that animation :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.