Open PvP Proposal

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I am all about this.

However, in the spirit of inclusiveness, would this version have protected hexes so others could play with us but be protected if they choose?

edit: Protected gathering and hunting areas..

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Even after you join another guild, I am still free to attack you if I wish. Now that might be a foolish choice on my part, and it might get me in trouble with my guild, it might get me in trouble with the allied guild, and it might mean trouble for the alliance, but it is MY decision. I have to live with the consequences of that decision, good or bad.

That is the point of an open sandbox game. Players have become so used to having games tell them what to do, they no longer can think for themselves.

Skalex and Ferrus like this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

NO. Open means OPEN. There is no protection other than that which YOU enforce.

Skalex likes this.
  4. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Even better. On the same page.

Owain likes this.
  5. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Avatar

1) The way I took Darkstarr's comments in-game is this: There is not enough interest to have an open world system. As in -player- interest. I believe they would be willing to implement something they thought the majority of players wanted.

2) The implimentation of what the OP proposes would not be true open world, and is not what I am looking for because if a player can choose on any given day, the sense of danger is not there. It happens only when its convinient. Also, it does not create the need that will contribute to a player run economy. The sense of danger and a player run economy also add to emmersion and RP. All this said, the OP's idea is certainly valid. Just not what I am hoping for.

3) If the all PvP participants are on each other's friends list and a PK knows I like to hunt or gather resources at a certain location, he only has to look to see if I am online.

Joviex likes this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then set a trap for him. If you think like a victim, you will always remain a victim.

Abydos likes this.
  7. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Avatar

it would be more immersive if a murderer didn't magically know I was around.

hehe I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone who is proposing open world pvp be counciled about being a victim. Anyways, keep the discussion going. The devs really do read all this stuff. They may just decide to try out some options.

Joviex likes this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

In other games I've played, there has been an anonymous mode that could be selected when you didn't want to be disturbed by friends or guild mates. I've never thought of using the feature under circumstances like this, but then these are unusual circumstances.

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

What if we dont like guilds? In order to have our open pvp you are now forcing me to join a guild??? That would be like me forcing you to go to the open PVP area for some special resource!? This is not a proposal its forcing me to play a style i dont want to! (sounds familiar doesnt it!) Or you can simplify it by making Open PVP/ Not open PVP

Joviex likes this.
  10. Owain

Owain Avatar

It may be a far down in the thread, but I think I did clarify that other than the Open PvP Guild that permits you to be able to attack anyone, if you don't want to be in another guild, you can go solo if you'd like. Your choice.

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

open PVP is Open PVP the challenge of that is you can be killed and your stuff taken!

12. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

13. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I think they want to implement and anonymous option where you can play without ppl knowing.

14. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I am all for anything that gets me closer to an open world PvP environment.

With what started off as a borderline fanboy mentality, I'm no longer convinced that this world will offer any amount of the immersion, virtue, or "gray area" decision-making that I'm looking for.

How the hell can we represent justice if there are no thoughtful, alive, unpredictable criminals? No murderers?

What is so wrong with the sliding scale that eventually slides up to worlwide open pvp w/ safe zones?

I would love to stay. I would love to contribute to this community. However, I am not going to dull down my roleplaying just to meet the needs of the public-sensitive crowd. I routinely received praise from victims and vanquishers alike in UO, and I know that the sentiment hasn't been lost with time.

With that said, I am sooo very excited to bring my feral human back from the dead! Or, my pilgrim! My thief! Even my psychopomp! I would prefer to live them in SotA. From what I've seen, the environment is so rich that I'm just -drooling- over the thought.

Should the PvP end of the game fail my expectations with the Dev team taking the easy way out, then I will roleplay elsewhere. I am not looking for a game that will INHIBIT my ability to roleplay freely, after being promised 'immersive gaming.'

My pledge, to be frank, will be my last payment to line Portalarium's ledger if the Devs fail. I'll miss...

Most of you. ;)

Please, at the very least, implement the slider.

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

Abydos, Ferrus and mike11 like this.
  15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Yeah, me too, which is why I made this very reasonable, voluntary, low impact proposal.

crossbowsoda and Ferrus like this.
  16. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This actually works in theory. However I don't want to be stuck with having to hack the game to get the game we want. However this current PvP situation the devs are talking about is not right. They need to just fix it and make it work.

Maybe doing this hack during the testing phases will get the devs to come up with a system on the back end that would save us the time of doing this hack and give us what we want??? However they could just read this thread and give us what we want. I would rather have the latter. We still have the questionable combat system to deal with as well which is another whole issue, but a major factor in the game.

It seems that every time they have a new pre-alpha release there is a new design flaw they drop on us as well. I'm glad at least they are telling us about the crap as well as showing us the good stuff. There still is a real chance they can figure out a way to accommodate the open PvP crowd. In fact I don't see the problem having an open PvP option. They should be able to do all of these things Owain said on the back end when we click an Open PvP option. They could create this exact scenario that Owain said without us having to do a hack. That would be enough for me. They don't have to do anything more advanced than that.

Abydos and Ferrus like this.
  18. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

...drawing on this, I also should have the freedom not to have to join a faction/guild/PvP instance or hex to get the immersiveness I want.

I fully support the stretch goals about the siege style PvP/Objective based hexes, and hope those players like PrimeRib/vjek etc. trumpeting them get a fully fleshed out system that is to their liking.

However, one assumption that I don't agree with is that all PvPers want to participate in some sort of war effort to engage in PvP. It seems to pigeon-hole a player into the role of a soldier or crafter supporting the war effort (DAoC/WAR etc.) which may or may not be the type of character they wish to role play. Perhaps some of us just want the added danger of the occasional player bandit trying to take us out while we are out gathering resources. I don't want the game telling me what type of character I am.

It's the same scenario for players who have no intentions of having their character join a guild. Many will not have access to the desired immersiveness they seek.

I really see no reason why these intended systems cannot work in conjunction with an additional toggle for Multiplayer Online - Open PvP mode mentioned in the other thread though. The criticism against it seems to be that Portalarium does not desire black and white lines between the gameplay modes, but this situation already exists with single player offline mode and all the other modes, so it's clearly not a set-in-stone rule.

19. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I had not read your proposal before throwing my own that is similar into another thread - using existing mechanics to give players that want a fully open world PvP experience. https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...n-full-loot-death-pvp.8032/page-6#post-134332

The set your 'PvP Mode' at log in seems too easy to me to be abused by those that want to escape combat and I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the diehard PvP players that want this kind of world would prefer a more restrictive 'once you're in you are in for the duration' timeframe.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Other than the overall Open PvP Guild, you wouldn't have to join any guild, and could go solo if you wish. I am in a guild, so I lean towards guilds. I mostly included the part about guilds to show that you don't have to be in the same guild as your enemy (other than the top level one), but can form your own associations, or no association at all.

Phredicon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.