Open PvP Proposal

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

In another thread, I suggested informally a possible workaround that would permit Open PvP.

I would like to extend that idea, and propose a suggestion that would permit Open PvP within the constraints recently announced. This suggestion requires that a few assumptions be true:

1. Guild members are able to attack each other freely as a form of sparring, as was possible in UO.
    2. Players can belong to multiple guilds simultaneously.

In theory, if I were in FPO in a guild with people who were all on my friends list, for role playing purposes, we could all participate in Open PvP with each other. Now if twenty thousand people were interested in participating in Open PvP like this, it would be impractical for all of us to manually add all the others to our individual friends list. Therefore, I would request that as a customer service, if I indicate on the login screen that I want to participate in Open PvP, I would automatically be added to the friends list of every one else who has made the same indication, and that I be automatically added to the Open PvP Guild. Then, when I enter FPO, I would be in an Open PvP environment.

In FPO, I could then join a different guild of my own choosing, but would still be able to participate in Open PvP as a member of the overlying Open PvP Guild. My sub guild should also be able to declare war or join alliances with other sub guilds, and other than by supplying the customer support to automatically adjust friends lists as suggested, no significant effort is required by Portalarium.

Subsequently, if I indicate upon login that I am no longer interested in Open PvP, I would be removed from people's friends lists and from the Open PvP Guild.

In this way, it would be possible for players to take part in Open PvP without requiring Portalarium to develop a separate mode to support it between now and when the game is released. It would also allow Portalarium to exactly measure how many customers actually want Open PvP. If customers in large numbers are opting for Open PvP, Portalarium can then easily justify developing a separate new Open PvP Mode in a future release.

fizual and docdoom77 like this.
  2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't expect the "sparring" other that if they specifically put in a dual.

It seems like you're making a big mess as a hack for a well designed clean system. Why?

Gunga Din likes this.
  3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Because he wants consensual PvP other than in a few designated areas. Nothing wrong with that. If I don't have to participate, I support it.

Cool idea and the kind of thinking the PvP community needs to help get a game more to their liking.

*Big thumbs up and a wink*

Owain likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You lost me even more than the OP.

People keep saying "open PvP" like it's some magic solution to all problems. Explain what you want and are not getting feature by feature.

From my perspective, a guild war system is the best of all worlds. I can choose my enemies. I can hunt them wherever. I don't have a karma mess to deal with. There will be meaningful open world objectives.

enderandrew likes this.
  5. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

It would be far easier, and much more cheaper (not to mention faster) to add an Open PvP toggle in all online modes, which may only be used while in one of the various NPC cities and have a timer of 20 minutes where you cannot change the toggle afterwards.

rowan50k and Lady Innessa like this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Because there is interest in Open PvP. If you are not interested, why do you care?

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Because PvP is the most important aspect of the game to me by far. It looks like they're building an amazing system.

So yes, I'm very concerned that people are asking to hacking to pieces and make a big mess for something no one will explain. What is meant by "open PvP" given that we know all PvP is consensual. What are you asking for? A guild war solution seems perfect to me.

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Easier and better, perhaps, but for whatever reason, the devs have shown they are not interested in developing an Open PvP toggle. Perhaps they think there is no interest. With minimal effort, the method I propose will establish whether or not there is any demand for Open PvP. If no one is interested, no one will use it, and no harm is done. If there is wide spread interest, Portalarium can then justify the development effort in a subsequent release to provide a full Open PvP mode, complete with justice system, thieving, murderers, and so forth as has been discussed at length on the forums.

This suggestion is an Open PvP Light prototype, and is not meant as a substitute for a full Open PvP mode with all the bells and whistles. It is intended as a proof of concept to see if a full Open PvP Mode is a good idea, or not.

Ferrus likes this.
  9. G Din

G Din Avatar

Not open PvP exactly......OPEN WORLD ! And this idea is garbage, sorry Owain. It does nothing to create an environment / player economy that depends so much on the player base and their interactions.

If you want that world or setting, you will need a 2ND SERVER !

You can't mix 2 rule sets and have towns static to those rules.

lamersons likes this.
  10. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

I just thought of this as well a few minutes ago. I like it because I think it is easily implemented and delivers open PvP for those who could care less about guilds.

I think just having the option outright without the guild business would be better though.

docdoom77 and Ferrus like this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

If PvP is the most important aspect for you, then I would think you would be interested in an Open PvP mode, which under current conditions, would seem not to be an option. To me, this seems to be a less than amazing system.

This suggestion would have minimal impact on the game as a whole, since it would take place in FPO among people who wish to participate. In what way would this impact you at all?

12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Again, explain open pvp. What do you want? What is missing?

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

As indicated, this is a prototype suggestion, and is not intended as a complete environment. As things stand now, that complete environment will never happen. If you want to ensure that it will never happen, keep holding out for a 2nd server, because that certainly falls under the heading of things that will never happen. This suggestion at least takes place in the game as currently described, other than the customer support issues suggested.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

As I understand it, under the environment that currently exists, I can partake in a guild war, but I would still see people in game who are not subject to attack, people who may be aiding my enemies. That situation is subject to abuse and exploitation.

Open PvP to me means that I can attack anyone anywhere, or I can refrain from attacking, if I so choose. But it is my choice, not a choice imposed upon me by a limitation in the game. Maybe I don't attack because the person is a friend or an ally, or maybe I don't attack out of fear of retribution, but my reasons to either attack or not attack are my own.

Under this proposal, attacks should even be possible in town, which makes for an interesting situation most people have not considered, and would require a reevaluation of personal tactics.

If this is a little to risky for people, they can play under normal circumstances. Only participants are affected, and very little development effort is required.

fizual likes this.
  15. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

But why do they have to make it so that people you dont know are added to your friend's list, as well as multiple guilding? Well a very good way to test the idea of open pvp is to dedicate 1 whole week of open pvp for players during one of those testing phases.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

In order to function in FPO, everyone has to be on everyone's friends list. FPO is to be preferred to OPO, because that ensures that ONLY the Open PvP Guild people are present.

The multiple guild set up is required so that people can form their own sub associations. The overall Open PvP Guild is necessary so that everyone is in an overall guild, which would allow everyone to freely attack everyone else. I would be in my own guild, the KGB, and other guilds would be free to either attack us, form alliances with us, or ignore us, as they see fit. If you aren't a guild kind of person, you can go solo, other than membership in the Open PvP Guild which allows you to participate in Open PvP.

17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Obviously that would be a terrible system.

The normal way to resolve those things would be:
    1) For a normal hex in the world these people are chucked into separate instanced so that never happens.
    2) For a siege / contested hex (i.e. a castle being fought over) temporary factions are formed for attackers and defenders. So if your there, you're flagged to a side for PvP.

18. Margard

Margard Avatar

This would not accomplish much unfortunately

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

We don't know enough about how things work to know if your assumptions are correct. If you aren't a participant in a guild war, you may be tossed in an instance under the assumption that you can't be involved, but should be able to observe, if only so you can see how these things work.

20. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

There must be a simple alternative to your friend-list suggestion.Personally I consider it quite intrusive for something that can be accomplished in alternate ways.
    Your guild idea very much reminds me of Order and Chaos factions. If thats the basis, then I see some use of it, though using the word guild instead of function might confuse people thinking that this might be exploited by people who join many guilds in order to backstab them in some way during PvP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.