Open PvP Proposal

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

From what they have said so far - including Darkstarr's in-game comments - I think the death ring of a somewhat Open PVP is premature. The Guild full time PVP will have a large number of areas available. We still know nothing on Friendly Fire, which is the critical piece to me and I hope this exists.

I hope they will allow joining multiple guilds, but I also hope that people can take quests - maybe from Guilds directly - that allow us to join in without a permanent commitment. However most people group together on a side anyway so Guild PVP should do well to provide as close to Open PVP with what the Devs have promised to everyone so far.

NRaas and Xandra7 like this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Only if you participate. If you think it's too intrusive, don't participate.
    I don't like factions, because factions are artificially imposed rather than freely formed. In faction play, I am limited to the defined factions, and I am forbidden from attacking another faction member even though I might have very good reasons to want to do exactly that.

I want the freedom to choose my own factions, and attack or not attack as I see fit.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

But you will still be limited to areas. I would want the freedom to designate my own areas, thank you.

Friendly Fire On or Off? I think On is more realistic, and requires players to not be stupid.
    I think my suggestion provides for all that.

Ferrus likes this.
  4. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Perhaps the meaning was drowned in my post. I mean this: What If I do want to participate in PvP but dont want my friend list to be flooded with people I dont know? I hope my concern is clearer now.

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

Am I missing something?

1. Do we know how many members have to be part of a guild for it to be considered a guild?

2. Can you be at war with multiple guilds simultaneously? Is there a limit to declaring war?

3. Besides towns, will I ever see a PvE player?

--

The way I see it; through the forum - manage a open PvP guild system - membership per guild is 5 - if you can gather 100 guilds - would you not have open PvP? (as far as we know, guilds in war may fight in town?)

--

Second server with different rule set is not going to happen, you either get this and help shape the game or you can walk away from the project

--
    Slander and threats only solidifies the point that the a segment of the community is not a loyal player base (to begin with) - why would any business person cater to a "fanbase" that is willing to through them under the bus and light them on fire the minute it appears that a game feature may be implemented in a different manner than Their Own Ill-informed Expectations.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then you should wait for Portalarium to add a full featured Open PvP Mode, because under the current game design, that's the only way you'll get it.

In the meantime, if Portalarium decides to implement my humble proposal, that might be your only other opportunity.

7. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Not really. Its what Margard said:

I agree on the highlighted part. You can create an open PvP system via the guild warfare. If anyone wants to participate, they can join one of the guilds who are participating in this aspect of the game. This way there is no need to create additional guild option for those who want to PvP openly. Besides, PvP is more fun when you are part of a group (and a well organized group at that :) )

Joviex and Margard like this.
  8. Owain

Owain Avatar

No, but I don't see how that affects my proposal.
    Unknown, but I would presume so. There was no restriction in UO, for example, and I would guess that guild wars would follow that model.
    PvE will still be present, so if players elect to participate in PvE, you will see PvE players. But they will be PvE players who are also subject to Open PvE. You would not see pure PvE players who are not participants. That is the point of an Open PvP environment.
    But you would still see non-PvPers. That is not an Open PvP environment. If that is not important to you, don't participate.
    Where did this come from, and what does it have to do with my proposal?

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

If I can still see people not subject to attack, that is not an Open PvP system. Open PvP is not based on how many people there are that you can attack, it based on the premise that if you want, you can attack EVERYONE, and EVERYONE can attack you.

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

Last part has nothing to do with your proposal and it was not intended at you (you're not not part of the group I'm referring to)

And your proposal works fine

11. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

But what you suggest sound a tad redundant:

1- Have people added automatically to your friendlist without any control
    2- To be able to join a super-guild with friendly fire (cause otherwise you cannot attack those who choose open pvp ~btw I am fine with friendly fire)

1- might have implications which we cannot begin to imagine right now due to the fact we dont know how the friend system works and affects your environment (including your property: say you have your house open for fellow friends and suddenly everyone has access to your house)

2- If there is friendly fire in guild warfare and all those who participate in PvP are in their respective guilds, then there is no need to have the superguild function at all. They could have those who are in guild PvP be in their own instance of the hex so that they dont see the non-pvpers. But trust me, at some point it will very quiet on the PvP front and people might not want to log in to an empty instance. Visibility of players -regardless of their playstyle- is important for the psychology of the participants.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

You have ultimate control. Upon login, don't select Open PvP. Choose the PvP environment allowed by the current system.
    By default, houses should be accessible to you only, and that should require a specific action on your part to change. Other games allow me to grant access by group, or by individuals. Under my system, you may want to grant access to your sub guild (or not) or to specific individuals, but probably not to all friends.

The friend system hasn't been defined to my knowledge. Lets try not to get too excited until it is.
    The superguild concept is still necessary so that ONLY Open PvP participants are present. Non combatants would be excluded. Further, the superguild permits attacks anywhere, even inside of towns. To someone who really supports Open PvP, this is a feature, not a bug.

13. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

basically you are saying that if I dont want to have unknown people in my friend list, then I cannot participate in open pvp. Thats bad design my friend. Have the option of open PvP to be at log in (as you suggest) but dont flood friendlist in such a way. A better way that follows what you suggest is to have a separate pseudo list that doesn't show up anywhere to the player (and is not mixed up with the players friend list) but is defined by who is in open pvp mode so that the server shows you those players.

This way the superguild idea is not required.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

This is not meant to be a complete design. If I had my druthers, I would want Portalarium to provide a separate Open PvP mode. It would seem they are unwilling to do so.

This proposal is intended to be an Open PvP Prototype, a test to measure the interest in Open PvP under the existing environment with minimal development effort. If there is no interest, there is no harm done. If interest is wide spread and enthusiastic, then the devs can justify adding an additional complete Open PvP mode.

The proposed suggestion is easily reversed. Upon login, deselect the Open PvP option, and your friends list is completely restored.
    This would require a greater modification to the existing system. I'm not sure the devs are interested in that. I'm seeking to propose a method that does not impact the existing design. If it doesn't work out, it would be easier to eliminate than if they had to remove your separate pseudo list. My suggestion makes no significant changes to the existing design beyond the automatic population of friends lists and inclusion into the Open PvP Guild. That would be easy to back out, if necessary.

Ferrus likes this.
  15. Ferrus

Ferrus Avatar

I'm in for this if they don't implement a Multiplayer Online - Open PvP mode. Lets show 'em we want it.

Owain likes this.
  16. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

If all else fails why not..

But would it work? if I am your friend in one guild and enemy in another?
    Know what I mean?

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

It doesn't matter what guild you are in. You are my enemy if I decide you are my. It doesn't depend upon what guild you belong to. If I decide to attack you, it's my decision, just as it's my decision not to attack you.

That's what Open PvP means. I decide. The game doesn't decide for me, nor does it limit me.

18. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

But aren't you proposing to join every guild in able to fight everyone?
    I probably don't get it.. I'll read again..

19. lamersons

lamersons Avatar

Amen !! Open world, open playstyle...unfortunately not everybody gets it :(

20. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Reread, understood support.

Everyone in the Open PvP guild is in a FFA until they join a guild.. Joining that guild keep them in the FFA but now you have allies and alliances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.