1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Early Access Schedule Update: Releases 4 - 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

This post is full of win! OOooOoOoOooooo! Good Lord how I miss that!
    I simply cannot wait to hear the plans regarding the three letter acronym that pits Player Vs Player! :D

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

NO WAY, Just No!

mitchellhamilton and Kirthag like this.
  3. JAMorton

JAMorton Avatar

Great to see the new plans for releases 5-7, I think that release although estimated for October 2014 is a little optimistic, but better to do a good job then a rush job though, my guestimate for release Q1 2015 now.
    Keep up the good work :)

Kaisa likes this.
  4. Rain Greyraven

Rain Greyraven Avatar

I am really truly impressed with how this game is being developed and the inclusion of the community, I honestly think that we are witnessing what will more than likely become industry standards in the near future.

5. Glenco Lansing

Glenco Lansing Avatar

I agree with you. I would like to see it hear how the combat/ pvp will work out before I dump a lot more money into the game. Because if the pvp system was to be like wow then I would be very disappointed.

Baralis likes this.
  6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Dare i say nay, it has not been an incredible jouney since i wasnt part of it. And might i add it worries me combat is being oushed back imo it should be one of the first things implimented and what a game should be designed around

7. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

And how would you do that without a world, game mechanics, stable multiplayer online capabilities and a client that responds quick and reliably?
    I don't see how they could've done things differently, since combat is so dependent on these other things. And you can still pledge once combat is in, you just have to pay more for the same tier...
    But that is the risk vs reward thing... Early pledgers get more/better discounts *because* certain things have to be based on trust/faith... Can't have your cake and eat it too, I'm afraid! ;)

warcreep likes this.
  8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Nah, getting npcs to understand you is more important in this game, as well as not falling through terrain, as well as looks, as well as funding which means housing, and housing and housing. Multiplayer working right is definitely more important than PvP so you can see there is someone there. Birds in the air flying random patterns is more important, seeing fish swimming randomly is more important, getting the clothing to sway, getting clothes to not look ghetto, pretty girls, ugly monsters. The sound of gravel when walking, swaying of ships in the ocean, all these are more important than combat.
    Fidelity

9. Veylen The AenigmA

Im saying the game should be designed around combat principles I would aks why they did housing and suff before combat or even framerate issues. Any dev worth his salt will be able to optimize wether it be in the end or begining of a cycle preferably combat goes in first so you have the most time to tweak and crush issues that arise with its implimentation. Waiting until so close to launch just is begging for problems as issues will undoubtedly arise that will be too late in the cucle to fix and optimization can be continuously worked on but if u dont design a game around combat it will be a dull boring afterthought as it is a cornerstone of any mmo so it is only right it gets the lions share of dev time to perfect it. Especially when its a brand new concept you dont even know that it will be any good at all. Implimenting it first gives them necessarly time to change it if it sucks. Of course the game world and core need to be there but its not like its coding from scratch they are using a oremade engine. As far as risk and reward i dont buy something until i see it in action which to me is the least amount of risk you can take rather than investing in something sight unseen i may not even want to play

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

LoL you are funny dude. But, the framerate issues we saw were not able to be discovered until they had so many people in the game that it surfaced. Chris went into detail in the dev+ forum of exactly why that was and what the causes were but now they know the issue they can correct it... which is what today's test is all about, making sure that fixes it.

Another thing to keep in mind is this game engine still requires a lot of customization and it doesn't have the MMO type tools built in... the whole selective multi-player is a whole new system they had to create.

Olahorand likes this.
  11. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

But they've told us combat *is* already (mostly) in there, it's just not at a point they want us to have access to it... They're testing it internally until they are satisfied it can go to the public.

People should realize that the fact that things haven't been made accessible doesn't mean they're not there at all... They might just not be ready for public testing yet... It's a programmer's biggest dilemma (and I speak from experience :eek:) whether to show something that is partially done, and get comments on it being partial, or to not show it yet, and get comments that they haven't done anything about X yet...

I agree that from our perspective it isn't ideal, but OTOH, if they'd give us a broken combat system, people would whine about *that*, and it might do serious (irreparable?) damage to the game...

I'd be surprised if SotA goes full release by October, TBH, but so far they *did* follow their schedule mostly, and where they didn't, it is because they prioritized something else, requiring deprioritization of earlier plans. A lot of that was player-driven BTW... Many people care less about combat than you do, so if they'd prioritized combat, they'd prolly have other complaints in a similar vein... :D
    In the end plans and ideas are infinite, but resources (devs and time) are finite, so choices have to be made, compromises need to be agreed on... That may not always be what you or I would like to see, but I run in to that in daily life all the time as well, and I've learned to deal with it... ;)

warcreep, Mishri and Kaisa like this.
  12. Veylen The AenigmA

I still have a hard time prioritizing a non essential like housing over everything else. The qucker they lush combat to players the qicker they can make it better and get feedback. I know they have to do internal testing first but it will never be as fruitful as opening it up to more eyeballs. As far as framerate i was just using it as iterchangible with insert X problem here that could have been fixed had they priortized better. Regardless if it is closed combat testing or open they still could habe made more progress and not necsisarly had to push it back had they worked on core elements instead of fluff

13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

And if you read all the latest posts, they now say available at years end. To me that's the Oct release date being pushed back.

Time Lord and Akeashar like this.
  14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I half expect them to miss the October date. I think the project is already very huge for a small team with a small development window.

Akeashar, smack and Kaisa like this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I always expected the release date to be pushed back even with all the progress they have made. I've got no problem with them doing so though - I'd much rather they have everything fully finished and polished than rushed to meet some arbitrary deadline.

Rhiannon, Akeashar, Saosis and 4 others like this.
  16. Veylen The AenigmA

Well id rather have unfinished combat be pushed early so it can get fixed sooner which only means a faster release time. I bet if they put a woman in charge of the timeframes theyd be on time

17. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

I won't thing houses are non essential stuff. They are part of the persistent world - so if they cause issues it's good to hunt them down, before they cause side effects to your preferred play style.
    Also housing paid and still pays a lot of the money the game earned ahead in the founding process. So it is necessary, that this can be shown in time so that other can eventually decide to use the still available founder pricing to upgrade their pledge and that this component is indeed ready at release.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Rhiannon likes this.
  18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Non essential? that's massive funding for the game. If they didn't have that in you'd have people who spent $500-$10,000 saying where is my house? It's easy to put in, why isn't it in yet?

The thing that takes the longest with combat systems in balance, we wont have balance until other systems are put in. This isn't a combat simulator where combat is the only thing that matters. Combat builds off of every other system.

19. Veylen The AenigmA

The game will work without housing it wont without combat. And as far as players donations i would like to beleive they arent so superficial as to not donate unless what they want is the first thing implimented. Id be just as apt to donate if they said you are going to get housing as soon as we flesh out the core of the game. It worries me more that they are working on non core stuff than if they were to do as previously mentioned

I think you got it backwards. Other systems build off of combat. Hard to tell if skills work right if you dont have combat. Just because people donate for housing doesnt mean it should take precedent over critical features otherwise you will be enjoying a housing simulator with crap combat features

20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Some people don't care at all about combat, and would call it non essential. They want role playing space and crafting space. And they would call that the core of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.