1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Early Access Schedule Update: Releases 4 - 7

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Patching just completed... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

Last 2 releases I had patched the day before and there was still another large patch when it went live.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I played some Neverwinter - for whatever reason - and there is an interesting option about character names and health bars. You can choose that those are just shown when you are focusing the NPC/monster. Maybe this would be an option for SotA, too. It would keep the general atmosphere and immersion of no texts and health bars in the gameworld but you could choose to have those elements shown when focusing an NPC/monster...

4. Belrindor

Belrindor Avatar

There is a patch 90, up from patch 89 in the dev+ test last night. So even if you were on yesterday for the brief test, you'll want to patch up now before it opens for play. :)

enderandrew likes this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

Alas, mainland scenes pushed back until a later release. And that's perfectly fine with me. ;)

6. Hosky

Hosky Avatar

Is there any consideration into making the test-play windows longer than Thursday - Sunday.
    There might be other members like myself that can't utilize the Th-Sun schedule. I know I'd like more time to mess around with crafting and housing.
    I understand that there would be frequent down times and resets. But why can't we test Release 5 until a week before Release 6.
    I can only assume that Portalarium doesn't want to budget staff to babysit test servers. Maybe allowing single player would be do-able.

Bodhbh Dearg and izcenine like this.
  7. Belrindor

Belrindor Avatar

With combat being the main and only bulletpoint of the R5, how does this affect the R6 and R7 prospects? Could we get an updated estimation/revamp please? :)

Logain and Hosky like this.
  8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

He did revise R6 here:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...elease-5-impressions-release-6-revised.10408/

RELEASE 6, May 22 - 25, 2014: Without further ado here are the details of the new Release 6 plan:
    • Visual Improvements: We really want to improve the quality of our visuals to a point that we feel competitive with modern games. To that end we are allocating time each release for some ongoing work. Here is just a short list of some of the things we are working on for Release 6 in the area of visual improvements:
      • Lighting Fine-Tuning: With the switch to the new lighting model we now have to retune our lighting levels across the board. Tuning and balancing the brightest day and the darkest night takes some time. It is a careful dance to get a strong contrast between well lit areas and dark shadows. We want light sources to mean something in underground areas and at night so they will be dark. This means having a torch and/or light spell handy is a really good thing. We also introduced tone mapping in R4 which is a technique that simulates your eye irising back and forth. This technique also requires careful tuning to get the brightening and lightening just right. Tune it too bright and we obviate the need for any light sources, tune it too dark and you won’t even notice it.
      • Shaders: Right now we use very simple specular and bump mapping shaders. We are going to investigate some other shader types including Relief and Detail that might create more details in our textures.
      • Characters: We have several efforts in progress including getting our skin shader happy with the new lighting, deformation issues with the female arms, polishing movement and combat animations, and fixing wearables sorting issues. After we get those issues sorted we can move on to making hair better but we are waiting for our transition to Unity 5 for that so we can take advantage of some new features there.
      • Environment Art: For performance optimization we had originally kept the number of triangles in our buildings, walls, dungeons to an absolute minimum. Recent performance analysis suggests we are not bound by this constraint so we are going back through and adding geometry to some assets so that they will look better in lighting. For Release 6 we are focusing on Dungeon and Castle Walls to make them not be such flat planes.
    • Player to Player secure trade: Did you discover something cool you wish to give your friend? Need to share some potions with a party member? Did you craft something amazing you want to sell? Secure trade is the answer and will allow you to make exchanges of goods between you and other players.
    • Crafting: We now have specific animations and tools for each crafting table so we will replace the default animation in Release 6 with these specifics. We will also take a pass on alignment and sorting issues related to crafting tables. As a stretch goal we may try to add some more sound and visual effects to crafting and harvesting
    • Combat: Our first pass at abilities in R5 did not include secondary effects like stun, knockback, root, etc., nor did many of them have visual effects. And in some cases they didn’t work at all (I’m looking at you Light spell!). For R6, we will be finishing out those abilities and adjusting the casting animations to work better with equipped weapons. We are also fixing some blending bugs that prevented many of the weapon animations from displaying properly. Once we address all these issues, we can resume work on card combat, deck building and the death system for Release 7 and 8. We are also going to take a pass at better color coding for combat floaties. Finally we will work weapon sheathing and unsheathing functionality so that we can explicitly know if you are ready to talk or kill!
    • Looting: We are making some architectural changes to how we create, store, and transmit data in containers (chests, corpses, player houses, inventory, etc.) that should fix some of the looting exploits, like the one where all players could loot the same corpse equally, and corpses could be looted multiple times just by exiting and reentering a scene. We are also going to work on fixing issues related to targeting a corpse.
    • Emotes: We will be working on some improvements to emotes that include looping emotes (dancing, conversation, etc.) as well as adding audio to them (clapping, laughing, etc.). We will also make it so when you are chatting we will play the convo emote automatically.
    • Animals: Currently all our animals (bears, wolves, etc.) are purchased assets and the skinning, rigging, and animations for them is not meeting our quality standards, so we are going to reskin and rig them so that we can redo their animations.
    • Dialog: We are going to do an overall sanity pass on all dialogue, making sure it meets our standards on quest accessibility, making NPCs respond to more things, and that as many responses as possible are accessible through the dialogue tree.
    • Navigation: We will continue to iterate on the overworld map with more animations, texture improvements and party member locations when they are inside a scene. We are also going to introduce a standard visual for entrance and exit locations on maps. For now that will take the form of an archway.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  9. stile

stile Avatar

We bid ye welcome

10. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

IMAGINE how SWEET the SOTA renfaires will be!!!!!!!!!!

11. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

I wish they weren't doing this before a major holiday weekend. I might get to log in for an hour on thursday but then off to work and heading away for the holiday....sigh

Doppelganger likes this.
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

*chuckles*

Up in the Great White North, the long weekend was today.

Though the schedule does not lead to a conflict, it does leave me with a rather awkward two day long work week.

Come to think of it, I believe this is the second time the schedule lined up in that manner.

Sigh. :p

13. Starpagan

Starpagan Avatar

not impressed mosters that respawn faster the they die crashes the leve you traped in a dungon this may have been ok in the 1980's but this is very dodgy

14. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Not sure whether we are witnessing the effect intended for final release. I suspect the quick respawn is simply a placeholder until further development can be completed.

If it is still occurring closer to release, then I'll start to worry. Right now, not so much. :)

rild likes this.
  15. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Fights aren't balanced yet. R5 were hard at first then some bugs got fixed and they were fairly easy. Between R5 and R6 it looks like they messed with things so that combat is hard again. I believe they changed the focus pool size, used for skills and spells, making it smaller. I think they increased the cost on a lot of spells without updating the tool tips. I think they increased the cool down on spells but not necessarily on skills. These changes make skills a smarter choice that spells at the moment. You can use more of them at a smaller focus costs than spells.

rild likes this.
  16. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I agree. Not sure the scheduling was the best for this one, as a lot of people will traveling for the holiday!

Nhili Dragon and Alexander like this.
  17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Try punctuation... no... but seriously, this is pre alpha. PRE alpha. We have a ways to go before we are even in beta, and beta is not a finished product. Give this time. Be patient, and I believe we will be playing a GREAT RPG someday. It is a relatively new concept to be playing a game this early in development. Just try to keep this all in mind.

18. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

They mentioned that polish releases would be quarterly. I don't believe they have gone away from monthly releases.

Mishri and NRaas like this.
  19. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

we are not yet in Alpha... hehehe ^_^

20. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

could always pledge me some goodness :p i will be going nowhere.:p

so far i think its coming along great, i know eventually my name will be able be properly displayed, hopefully? :/

atm its either VeylenThe AenigA, or Veylen theAenigma :p
    ppl already tell me how hard it is to msg me and add me to friends or whatever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.