Here are some things about PVP that come to attention..........

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by blaquerogue, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Player tournaments are for that. I wouldn't want any game tourney mode, as it takes away from players hosting such events. You can contribute to PVP, just fight in a group and be smart and outplay.

2. Kinkara

Kinkara Avatar

Yes, they should restore Pick Pocketing to what it once was. That was tonnes o' fun.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Just need a few pvp zones with level caps. Let the lower level pvpers test their metal vs people of around equal level. Killingsworth, I totally agree there should not be a level difference in regard to being able to hit, it should be skill and stat based, not level based.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I read later on, I just want to say don't be bothered about me, I begin to live!E the idea of dangerous zones and PvP.
    Maybe some of you thought I fight against PvP on the forums, but my intention was always to help PvP from a pve'ers view .

I just make it to read the first article , Costs are one big thing what let me dismiss PvP until, but there are some more points that are related to this.
    Micromanagement of an inventory , both mine and maybe the one i maybe can loot.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

To get more people interested in PVP, how about a cool PVP training zone built like a real PVP zone, one where nothing can be looted and death has no sting (no decay for example). That might be interesting for inexperienced players who don't know if they would like PVP to try it out and hone their skills in a riskless and rewardless environment. That way they can become more skillful before they take the plunge and participate in "real" PVP.

Might be a dumb suggestion, but even I would go to a zone like that.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think the whole ransom thing makes less pvp, not more. Most pvpers pvp for pvp, and some people that really want to pvp don't want to pay the ransoms. Lost a few guildies to the whole ransom thing. Just after persistence, just as world pvp was starting to get rolling, the economic nerf happened and world pvp was dead in 3 days.

Vox Aquila and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

After reading it all...

I think @Envy @Vallo Frostbane are right if they say less controll, more open, although I disagreed many times with both, but for other reasons, maybe overinterpretation of attitudes. Don't want that happen! Sorry!

My own experiences over years are, rules aren't good for pvp if we talk about meaningfull and hardcore PvP.
    But I admit I always enjoyed that the most. What I never enjoyed is that you need hours to prepare, to have restock, skills etc.
    Therefore I like arena matchmaking games more for pvp, but of course the immersion and possibility to embed Roleplaying is just given in a MMO.

I think the passionate PvP player or let's say some of them here active on the forums are seriously playing for effort , getting further, max level, GM etc...
    And I don't want to blame that anymore, although I am completely vice versa a very cozy player and human beeing.
    But therefore think over that the majority don't feel ready to compete with others if there are some serious and passionate PvP era maybe PK who have 10 GM and Adv level 100+

Tell me why, i should like and want to PvP if I know of them and I know they are all hungry and feel disadvantaged for years and go for pvp to be there meal?

Everything what was said about loot and gold by @blaquerogue about restocking, this dull micromanagemnts to avoid loosing something is coming on top to make PvP nor fun, neither interesting.

Maybe PvP Scenes with Adv Level restrictions and full loot or no loot, beside the bone trophies and gold are good.
    T3 level 50-60 t4 level 60-80 and t5 80-100 and Bloodbay 100+

I know I said rules arent good for pvp, but with this very wide levelranges and this big differences in playercharacters power and with this hardcore grind to get gold, XP and equip, everything you need to take it into your concerns or you will just have dead zones like it is.
    Or you just wait 2 years until players like me, who need 8 month for level 60 and 1 single skill level 80 and not much gold, less 10k, and no restock, only trying to find a way to make adventuring profitable without to have to clear t1 scenes and do boring grind (maybe some more variations of twins foothills or serpent spine foothills) that let me use some t4 and t5 spells which costs don't ruin me and I have to pay more after a battle than I get for my loot.
    I have to stick to low level spells to make a plus in every scene.
    This means to fight costs additional.
    And this means developing your char costs money, fighting costs money, PvP costs money , more or less depending if you win or loose.

Well, if you want people partake in PvP you have to wait u til more people make profit and finished some grind you maybe already have rushed through or this things need to become more easy.

I am not willing to to strive to get ready for pvp or grind my ass of or loose and then aren't able to go and play on with my cozy attitude, because I am naked and need a week to find someone who craft me new gear and such.

I would like the game gets not easier , but then loot of equip and reagencies etc need to be gone.

The most I am for is just playing along and develop on my own speed and if the passionate ate and serious PvP players puts the measure that high, well I think you just have to wait until more striving people willing to grind come online !

Beside that PvP seems to be just an option , there is no scene that is pvp that anybody need to visit.
    As long as it is about powergrinding you will just have people there that don't mind loosing something.

Either because they have enough or they don't mind and just play along and restock.
    For me as a roleplayer I don't want to run around in other cloth , I want to be recognizable and play my role spontanous.
    I don't play a mighty char or saying things I cannot do with gamemechanics, but roleplaying is more than reducing it to the characters skills and stats etc...

I think , make adv level restricted PvP zones with full loot! And then you have to wait People are reqdy.
    I believe if let's say Ruins are t3, adv level cap 60, Shardfalls are t4 , cap 70, and t5, cap 80 and Bloodbay for 100+ there will be players in this scenes , because they know they have a real chance to meet people that are challenging and not just op to them.

I don't know if it's good, but at least I would try it.
    Everything they offered u til I was not even willing to try. They can give me 99% XP bonus it wouldn't attract me.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    blaquerogue likes this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

+1 to Ox

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

Some of us already went through Step 1. Some of us are boycotting the system because it outright sucks and some of us have told Portalarium countless times already! They've done NOTHING save for adding new PvP zones. We don't want more content right now, we want what already exists to be fixed!

Rules of engagement, grouping, targeting, loot, economy, skill system... they're all working against PvP right now.
    • PvEers getting first-strike on PvPers.
    • can't benefit from groups that are larger than 4-5 people.
    • people accidentally targeting/shooting "allies" because they're not in the same group.
    • how it's really about minimizing loss by managing inventory.
    • how it sets an entry barrier for participation. The rich can keep playing while the poor keeps farming.
    • skill balance is out of whack (understandably so).
    • skill progression is setup so that level 1-40 is useless. It takes forever to level up because there's no reliable way to gain XP when you PvP.

This is the perfect time to be part of the conversation.

If it's not working now, it's not going to work later. The foundation needs to be solid.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I would like to see combat being made more fun.
    Make it really satisfying to take someone out.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

I don't envy Port in this position. Whenever we propose ideas, there is always someone else shouting them down. We can't even come to a consensus on which systems are failing, let alone agree on solutions. Some even say that other opinions are invalid due to lack of experience, kills, name recognition, and so on. The forum PVP is strong while the in-game PVP is almost nonexistent.

In reality everyone's opinion is valid because it truly comes from their perspective at the time. If someone says that inventory management is keeping them from participating, then it is a real problem... for them. They may learn how to work around it eventually, but if it's truly stopping them from participating, then it's worth consideration.

Even bad ideas give insights that can be thought-provoking and inspire change and improvement.

I agree that PVP is not very inviting at this point. I was trying to be positive and sarcastic at the same time. Fail. I removed that line.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

That is why I said that combat needs to be fun because PVP can't be fun if you don't even care about fighting. I enjoy attacking my friends because nothing says love like an Obsidian Arrow up the *&^ but that is only fun because I know the person I shot. I take most of my enjoyment from this game with interacting with the community. I doubt people would buy this game just to hang out with us. Well people other than crazy individuals like myself!

Numa and Garfunkel Humperdinck like this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Think i agree with you.

The best part of PVP in the future that ive seen so far is their elaboration about guild wars still being the gameplan. (Post mortem, fighting for keeps with siege equipment. guild vs guild etc ) If they implement that properly, then thats massive. Although that leaves the necessity to be in an active guild thats into that. I imagine the virtue system will kinda be what covers everything else PVP related, although they dont want to elaborate on that at all, so i have no opinion on it till it comes into play.

All in all, i dont honestly see PVP getting much attention untill guild wars is in. Theres to many other mechanics and stuff that takes priority ( and i say this as someone who is only playing for the PVP endgame ).
    Theres nothing that annoys me more then people complaining about mechanics without having tried it themselvs though, and i think that is the least productive thing on the forums. Don't like something? Great, at least try it and validate your opinion on it, its what we are here to do during Early Access.

I DO think they are kinda going the right direction by making some of hte PVP zones unique (blood bay is at least unique with unique mobs) .. but currently theres not much to the PVP system.
    Personally i think they should fix the ransom being useless before anything else. ( its so easily bypassed, and yet at same time is so threatning to new players, it actually is the worst of both worlds IMO ) . And i know there some great suggestions out there, even simple tweaks i've put out myself to make it more appealing.. but i think that would be the next step towards PVP i think they should make. (Hell im against full looting, but at least if they did that, that side of the pvp community is happy. Right now its at a funny medium where its bad from every end ) .

Also one of the massive things i think holding people back in PVP currently, are the people who got really far ahead. ( I love PVP, and i loose more then i win, but there are some guys who can with 1 v 8 to the average groups (even people past the average like myself and guildies ) with 2 spells. I have nothing against the players that put the time and work into getting that high, but it does cause problems when 1 person can hold a zone down, and it LITTERALLY takes one of the other top 10 to clean them out. -- But think thats many topics in one post. hehe

Only part i disagree with you was - PvEers getting first-strike on PvPers.
    While i love the mechanic, i do think that they can keep it in play without massively changing it.
    One thing i suggested was that when initiating combat from Unflagged against a flagged member, it should instantly refresh your combat bar ( basically like you just entered combat).
    I feel that the fact you are completly unstacked / prepped more then makes up for any advantage against a PVP'er you might get. (although i feel strongly that the mechanic is there for the proper reasons) This would be a very good compromise for the people that feel the jumping from unflagged to flagged is unfair. Its a small change, but i think a good one, and limits the *first strike advantage * Even though from personal experience i find it limited in the first place.

• people accidentally targeting/shooting "allies" because they're not in the same group.
    I actually asked for them to implement a mechanic so 2 party leaders can declare a *truce*.
    We constantlly have to limit to 8 people PVPing because we cant run more. Its super annoying. I think they should be able to have party leaders truce each other so u can run larger groups.. that dont share exp, but cant friendly fire.
    This is probably currently the most limiting factor to my guild for PVP. If they added this simple mechanic, we would constantly have groups of 10-15 people in blood bay.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  14. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

This is my big hangup for PVP. If a busy person can only play 5 hours a week, how long will it take for them to become competitive? Two years? Expecting casual players to grind hundreds of hours before they can compete seems unrealistic. PVP needs lots of participants to function, and cutting casuals out of the equation will spell disaster for PVP in the long run. This game will only survive with the backing of tens of thousands of casual low level players.

I know some say all you have to do is get a big group to take on a high level player, but this is easier said than done for people with limited time in real life. How many will get killed, put out a call to their buddies, and wait 30 minutes for backup to arrive? Or is it more likely they will try PVP, get killed in one shot, and say 'forget this mess!', and do something else?

Stundorn, blaquerogue and Numa like this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I mean.. the scale in skills is so steep that it wont take long before the current averge player will hit the competitive point for these guys ( ill hit 125 by time they hit 135) ( then ill hit 135 by time they hit 40 ) just the way the exp scales.
    But a new player coming in will feel that gap more and more.
    Im assuming they hope thatll even out with a lot od new plyers joining regularily.. but i dunno.
    I think thats why im so excited for guild wars.. as those individuals really get diluted the larger the fights.

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Numa like this.
  16. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I try to get excited about PvP then I see someone with like 38-100+ GM's and get killed in 1-2 hits and I'm like.. meh. We'll see what happens when they allow more decks, you'll be able to create decks for attunement and elemental resist/ward gear. I do like the sound of artifacts being salvaged for components which can be used in player crafted gear.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.