Open PvP with full loot everywhere in online mode?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ara, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do agree with you sir. Yes people do need to learn. Much of this topic though has been hashed and rehashed in multiple threads. Hence the saying beating a dead horse. Many of thier questions have been answered, or are unanswerable untill later knowlege comes out in the future. I meant no ill will by the saying, but I do feel its apropriate. Maybe we can get a mod to consolodate these threads to make it easier for newcomers.

Time Lord and Darlok Brimstone like this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Thread consolidation is not the answer, since most threads are simply speculation, and arguments back and forth by people with a particular axe to grind. All that tells a person is my opinion on open PvP and Anti-PKs, for example, but precious little about PvP as it applies to SotA.

What we really need is a design document, even if it is only preliminary, that specifies how PvP (or anything else, for that matter) will be implemented. I've requested that for months now, so I don't think such a document is forthcoming.

In the meantime, if someone is interested in my opinion on PvP or any other subject, or the opinions of anyone else in the community, they should feel free to ask without worrying about being criticized *. Those who don't want to discuss a topic further are more that welcome to go elsewhere.

*edited for content ~ FireLotus

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I know everything is not about me, and I really do not want to quarrel with you. You started the discussion with me and I am responding to you. I stated my opinion and you are not happy with it. I get it. Now can we move on? *offers hand of friendship*

Time Lord and Darlok Brimstone like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Owain is being community minded, and is trying to help out by trying to redirect the topic to something constructive. The posts about beating a dead horse are unnessisary and is technically off topic.

I personally have no problem writing the same things again for people who missed out. I have no problem sharing my opinion of how I hope things play out as well so any devs that read through the threads can take a look at what people's opinions are regarding Open PvP and full loot for those flagged for PvP. They might feel inspired or maybe not.

There are some topics that are clearly dead, and this isn't one of them. I at one time thought it was a dead topic, but that was before I realized that PvP in SotA has not yet been defined by the devs. So I can see why people still want to share their opinions on the matter.

Time Lord and Commoner like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

It's not that I am unhappy with your opinion, but rather I just don't agree with it, and there is no requirement that I should. Nor are you required to agree with me.

With few exceptions, I consider myself to be on friendly terms with everyone in the community although I may disagree sharply with many, but I particulary like to talk with new players to make sure they get their questions answered, at least to the best of my knowledge. People who are tired of a particular topic need not participate in discussions on that topic, but I disagree most strongly that the discussion should not take place.

Discussions should be free and unhindered among those who wish to have those discussions. Neither permission nor approval is required.

Time Lord, Luxor35, NZIGNANTI and 2 others like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes, I agree. I still think maybe it would be easier to consolodate some of these threads, or lock some of them. There are at least 3 threads active right now talking about the same thing. Maybe my comment offended some people and I should have expanded on the meaning then more. I apologize. I wasnt trying to be antagonistic nor prevent any knowledge from being learned.

7. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

We do try and consolidate threads where we can, actually. I could probably rip through both PvP forums and merge a bunch of threads, had I the time/energy/inclination.

But Owain noted, correctly, that it's not that cut and dried. Here's a thread about Full Loot and Open PvP, for example...should it be merged with the other Open PvP threads, or the other Full Loot threads? Or should those other threads be merged into it, forever and indelibly linking Full Loot and Open PvP as concepts, even though one can exist without the other (or, at least, even though the latter can exist without the former)?

Anyhow...fundamentally, AvorinSwiftslay, I urge you to conduct yourself with a modicum of respect on the forums here. At the very least, likening people to Nazis should be avoided.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes sir, thank you for your reply. as for the nazi statement, it was merely repeating what Owain had called me in the previous message.

9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

'

And I'd really hope people can hear the words out of his mouth that this is NOT UO 2.0

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Great Post!

Time Lord, NZIGNANTI and Commoner like this.
  11. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

*Edited for content* ~ FireLotus

Who says you are in the majority? Please cite some facts, link to some statistics.

This is the de facto argument I keep seeing pro-PvP and yet not a single person has any real evidence you are in the majority.

Even looking at the poll that was open option, it didn't seem like stright up PvP was the preference for this game.

I am all for majority rule, prove to me it is the majority. Cause all the anecdotal evidence in these forums is, at best, an even split. Sorry.

Bramagola and AndiZ275 like this.
  12. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

First of all, the term PvP was not even around in the old days of the "spiritual success." There were only PK and there were only Blue Angels. Justice ruled the land, good and evil was the name of the game. I'd say it is 6 out of 10 people would prefer it to be player justice driven. This immersion is the wild west. It is the Pirates of the 1800's way of virtual lifestyle. This, whether you like it or not, was what made the past spiritual success solid. RG's following will most likely have the same crowd so yes, a slight majority. Those that don't understand the past success will call it "PvP" I refuse to even use the term. The first authoritarian pronouncement of the term "PvP" and it's given definition was the worst thing that's happened to immersion. MMO's have never been the same since. RG understands this, I am certain.

Luxor35 likes this.
  13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Sorry, but what you responded to was a request for hard data, not another pedantic rant.

I for one say you are a boldfaced liar, sir. The majority does not favor the style of play you espouse. Now PROVE me wrong. Provide the community with facts that support your claim. If you cannot, then my accusation stands and you will be shown up as a hot-air troll. If you CAN provide proof, I'll happily retract my erroneous accusation and support a version of SOTA that embraces UO rules of conduct.

Time Lord, LoneStranger and Joviex like this.
  14. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Let us please start with some facts, cause I can easily say its 6 of 10 that dont want any PvP. Its all anecdotal numbers.

PVP (the term) has been around since GemStone II (MUD) that launched in 1988.

Gemstone was one of the first modern MMOs ever (and is still active today).

The MMORPG term was coined by RG around UO launch in 1997, Gemstone predates it by almost a decade.

Player Killers are just a subset of PvP i.e. those who go the extra mile to KILL players.

WHen you challange someone to a duel, it is still PvP.

The long story short: There will be options, like it or not, has been stated many MANY times by RG that this is a story driven game first.

No matter how many whines are decried from the rafters, people will have options to play or not play in a PvP environment.

What I would start twisting these conversations into, now that is out there, what/how do you want that PvP experience to be?

But I would really hope people are not thinking its just going to be one big shared world of PvP when it is only going to be/viewable that way for those who wish to play with that environment, effectively, turned ON and not filtered.

LoneStranger and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  15. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

Tis just my opinion, I do however realise opinions are shunned around here. "hot-air troll?" Hypocritical name calling again? Do you take every breath trying to provoke and bash at every bout? It is a not a claim, but a righteous insult to your self-rightcheous definition of "PvP." I dare thee to provide the community with a opposing statistic. So to my defence, prove me wrong as well.

16. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

Negative. I disagree so strongly. Take your "PvP" somewhere else. There shall only be virtues. Player killing was player killing they did not call it "PvP" I care not for any other games definiton. We are talking about the success and the successor here. There was not always challenge, there was a real fear for ones life. That is the experience I seek from RG. Not prompt only duel only. So be it, I will yell from the rafters as long as I live.

Guerrilla likes this.
  17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

MY "self-righteous" definition of PvP is something you are unaware of. I've never TRIED to define it, or its value to the community. I've gone on record saying that I find bashing in a human opponent's face in open conflict is its own reward, but that's about it.

As for providing proof, less than half of all respondants sought Open World Full Loot on any poll provided in these forums, less than a quarter of all posters (even assuming there are no duplicate profiles, but that every single username represents a real person) support Open World Full Loot in the forum threads here. The people DEVELOPING the game have expressed a clear preference for choice of playstyle, favoring those who wish to play their way, so much so that many of the proponents of Open World Full Loot have expressed a fear that there won't be a game left for them to enjoy at all.

Do I have a census of all players and their true beliefs? No, that would be illegal, even Portalarium doesn't have that. Hell, the U.S. Government, for all it's spying on the electronic communications of the world probably doesn't know what we all really prefer. Every indication on these forums, however, paints the majority on this issue as a split between those who wish zero player vs player interaction ever, those who wish it to only happen as a role playing tool, and those who wish for it to always be consensual. The MINORITY seems to consist of a fair number of hardcore players, and a tiny vocal super-minority who want to hold the forums hostage to their demands, as they yell and scream for everyone else to accept their flawed logic.

I'm pretty certain which group you belong to.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

It is irrelevant who out number whom. With Selective Multiplayer, everyone gets to roll their own level of pain, or lack thereof.

I really don't see the need for all the tag team head butting going on in the forums.

19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Then thou shalt QUICKLY find thyself yelling elsewhere. Conduct thyself with a modicum of respect toward thy fellow forum-posters, even those with whom thou disagreest, or else thy removal from these forums will ensue.

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

"Lest thy soul pass finally beyond my reach."

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.