Open PvP with full loot everywhere in online mode?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ara, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Making the game with all basic weapons in order to balance the game for PVP sounds really boring. I want there to be some interesting magic items to find. I'm against the basic weapons and armor ideas that have been bandied about, this doesn't mean I want WoW level items where you have to upgrade all the time...

Dryxaline and Noctiflora like this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There were magic items back in UO in the early days. They were really good magic items. The higher end ones were not so easy to come by.

However a person wielding a high end magic item had an advantage in combat, but a person with Grandmaster made items could successfully beat a person wielding a powerful weapon due to skill.

I believe that is what Ara is refering to. Not super tiers of gear that you cannot live without. Ever increasing tiers of gear is even worse, but still if you cannot defend yourself with second best gear vs top rate gear then that would make this a gear focused game. We are hoping for more player/skill focused game. A game that still has magic items, but they don't make you superman, and the only way to compete is to have a superman item too.

3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Isaiah, great post and all but I think you missed one item:

'Black Sandals' CLEARLY made you Superman. Absolutely unstoppable.

Or at least, that's how I felt...

(gets kryptonited) :(

4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Magic items are fine. Make a glowing sword which talks to you and helps find cheese. Just don't give it a combat bonus.

5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes you are spot on, as always. =)

And i do believe that if the affinity weapon were held ransom that would hold players back from entering PvP again alot more then full loot (like the version of full loot Envy proposed, aka skillbased looting).

With UO similar magic weapons and good crafter weapons and armor players would be back into combat faster.

Isaiah likes this.
  6. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Mmmmmmmm Cheese! I like cheese!

I have to agree with PrimeRib; items can have 'special' attributes, but they don't have to be game-breaking combat bonuses. I hope for a game that maintains a realistic and reasonable level. If items are given combat bonuses, then the game becomes an arms race that never ends and eventuallyy becomes self-destructing.

Personally, I would like a singing sword:

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Cheese mmmmmm, I like cheese!
    Slowpoke Rodriguez says to Speedy Gonzales "Hey speedy, you spring the trap *hic*, I'll get the cheese!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

That's everything I am asking and hoping for.. I completely agree!!

Ara likes this.
  9. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

totally agree main pvp materials should be easy to get but full loot , who cares if you die with an armor if there are armor crafters selling them for cheep in town.

sure there should be also super rare materials which should be better , but they should be smth for arena events , or serverdowns where you cant loose your gear

Isaiah and Ara like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good point, but that's how UO was. When you die you had all kinds of options as to where to buy new armor and weapons from. The problem is I hated dying, not because of some imposed death ritual, but because it took at least a half hour to an hour to get all your inventory back in shape.

After I got experienced dying, I was able to keep a system or mental inventory of what steps I needed to do to re-equip properly. That also meant resting all my UOassist macros etc. It was a pain in the rear to die even if you had two or three bags of equipment ready to go in case you died. I would pick up on of those bags, but I would still have to reset all my UOassist stuff, and organize the potions and equipment in the exact spot that you want it.

So full loot was good for the economy, and it was also a serious death penalty. So even if we don't have complete full loot, a good death penalty is to disorganize our backpacks. If we have our knife in one location, and our bandages in another and some potions all perfectly lined up, if we die and still have our stuff let it be all randomized. Sure the item based inventory will always be organized, but the backpacks are the still the best for interacting with items in my view.

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Although this doesn't relate much, but I really hope there aren't two worlds like one for pvp; pve. This ruins the part of gaming of finding new different people with different beliefs that sometimes end up becoming your best friend or more.

Duke NRaas likes this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

there will not be split servers, in the lady, nor for episode 1.

pvp is optional, you need to be flagged for it, and there are specific areas, that will flag you while in them, for pvp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.