[Rant] A Generation Of Gamers That Dont Know What Role Play Is ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Sir Tim, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Well, if the theory is correct, you won't ever see Neenee, and Neenee you, Talmanes... as the game should sort you apart instance-wise based on pvp preference.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

We can only hope Tachys. *grins*

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think that is the goal; however, they said even though PVP will be part of the filtering it will not be an exclusion filter. For example, if only 10 people were playing and on the same map with 5 being PVP and 5 being PVE, then the system will probably not make 2 instances for this. As such this map instance will have a mix of people in PVP and PVE.

This part does concern me, but I think this just comes down to managing instances and users. As long as there are enough people to justify new instances this won't be a problem, but I think they want to avoid you seeing no one based on any single multiple filter.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. NeeNee

NeeNee Avatar

I meant 'everyone is required to PVP or could be forced to do so' by full stabby PVP. So many games that look great and promising are (IMO) ruined by this (by those who grief).

If we won't even be seen by other people unless we are in the same 'mode' as they are, that could make the game either quite lonely, or just kind of strange, if your friends are playing in one mode and you in another. :) That would make all question of forced PVP moot. How I was reading the 'check box' mechanism was that we would be shown as one or the other, not be invisible to people who play differently. I imagine I'm not the only person who had this impression, what with suggestions of being able to 'tag' players for PVP if they act rudely/do certain illegal things.

5. Talmanes

Talmanes Avatar

Neenee, read up on the hex instancing and I think it will help with this. They are basically having a Age of Wonders 3 overview map with hexes that create an instance similar to guild wars with a limit of 60 players an instance. They will have to filter the hex instances depending on how many people enter and if they apply the open pvp flag in the filter players flagged by that will have open stab anything pvp in every instance they "join".

I hope they have a balanced Karma/Justice system in the Open PVP mode though that is logically built into the world design, hopefully causing players to think twice about senseless killing due to consequences. Griefing has player motive in the definition so any true cases of griefing could fall under harassment, often misused though.

Even with only 10,000 players online the popular hexes will have several instance at 60 people per instance.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Squire

Squire Avatar

The way most PW style games are going nowadays seem to be "you only see players who are flagged the way you want", and this one looks similar. It's likely you'll be able to add players to "friends", to increase your chance of playing with them. It's also possible that you'll be able to flag up players with whom you don't want to play, to reduce your chances of sharing a world with those you consider disruptive. I think I'd prefer that to the "on/off" flag, tbh.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Wow! So many posts in here since I took a break from these forums due to the admins and mods bashing people that are for Open PvP with infractions for calling someone a "********" while letting PvE’ers out right call PvP’ers sociopaths and doing nothing about it. Anyway...
    I kind of agree with you. I like the idea of multiple game types within the game. I see a few of those posts around. I think it’s a great direction. Giving people the SotA they want by providing an Open PvP game with Open PvP content. You may split up the game, but overall I think it’s a divide and conquer. Now SotA isn’t JUST a game for Optional PvPers with content blocked out if you’re not in the same mode as a friend.

Now it’s a game with content specific to your game mode type. And you meet friends that want to play the same way as you.

As it stands now, you will have people meeting, then vanishing a week later cause they changed mode types. Lock everyone in… use the extra money you will be making by providing more games in one to the masses to make some sub-teams that focus on specific game types. An Open RPG team(open loot and PvP), a PvE only team, a Factions only team, and so on.

WebTeam and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.