1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 11 staying open for testing longer duration

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I agree with @Kvow about this. Limiting the amount of passives we can get is a way of tilting the scale of punishment. Why not give more interesting choices to players so they're compelled to diversify? I feel skills right now are a bit dull, quite similar to each other. Also it's a common concern that defensive skills don't seem to matter.

Looking forward to read that post or see that video! i'd love to get some intel on what direction combat is going to take, and see if Devs share the perspective i've been sharing since i registered. I have the opinion current combat concept is halfway to awesomeness; we got the amazing and fresh deck system unleashing abilities that applies old and dull concepts. I also think i'm not the only one with this line of thought.

The more i play this game the more i love it! i expect to raise my pledge and to convince some friends to come over! Keep it awesome guys!

Gaelis, Kvow [MGT] and Sophi like this.
  2. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

They need to wipe experience because things aren't balance yet. There could be easy monsters that give a bunch of XP (or an exploit) that makes it easy for someone to level up. Early in this Release I submitted a bug exposing an exploit that makes it easy for someone to farm a particular mob. Things like that have to be ironed out, wiped, etc. Remember this is pre-release, still.

Isaiah [MGT] and Duke NRaas like this.
  3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Hey Mike11, there is a pair of double doors with tall fire sticks for the arena, I found it by accident double clicking them. I was running east from the crafting pavillion when I noticed them... They're not marked in any way, but they're the only double doors in town...

mike11 likes this.
  4. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Thank you!!!!

Lord Lonn likes this.
  5. mike11

mike11 Avatar

thanks am looking for it right now, so I will lurk there for a bit longer

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Oh is that what they meant by wipes. Now I'm embarrassed because I totally misunderstood.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Avatar

Definitely want to know more details about this change. I am personally against this new change.

We should be able to advance our characters however we want to. Following the current system, the folks who wants to min-max will not be able to enjoy as many variety of skills in the early game. While at the the same time the people who like to diversify in skills would loose some versatility in the early game. Each play style has their own pros and cons, it is a pretty fair game for everyone.

The need of restricting where half of the skill points goes is pretty bizarre. One unique thing about this game is the freedom of character advancement, hopefully it will not be taken away from us.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

that seems like a somewhat over-optimistic way to phrase that...

9. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

True, but I cant say I disagree.

The major (underlying) promise I got from this project was about building a true sandbox, for characters and their adventures.

While I agree there need to be "limits" to maintain a cohesive, non-destructive run of the environment, things like this are extremely arbitrary to each person and their individual tastes.

IOW: trying to be all things for all people == blow up in your face. Not sure a counterbalance, cant see any internals, but it is another big design point that will drive a large portion of the overall game feel in the end.

10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

wait, are they really not doing anymore release wipes until release? so if you don't have a house by the first couple days of R11.... well, too bad, wait till launch?

if this is really the case, an announcement prior to the fact would have been nice :(

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It was hinted in the last hangout that there would probably be a wipe :(

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I would hope MANY.

I dont think ppl should be playing the game, as this is still not even in an ALPHA state. Predicting actual playtime is kind of ludicrous.

And by playing I mean investing time into systems that are totally unfinished.

Not to mention, it will be a fully wipe prior to launch. So even now, anything you "play" is completely going to get wiped.

Kvow [MGT], Margard, Logain and 7 others like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you are right of course, but people always feel tied to what they have spent time and effort into. I understand pre alpha and accept that it is not really a game yet :)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Thanks man! I finally got to play 3 full days! Leave it open!!!!! Cause we like it!

KuBaTRiZeS and AvorinSwiftslay like this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

DARKSTARR - How long are you going to keep the game running?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Unknown at this time.

17. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

yay! :D

Starr can you plz plop an open world pvp area back on the map? I get that you guys likely want to funnel people through Owl's Head to get as much data as possible on that city, but it seriously tries to murder my computer. Owl's Head much more than any area, makes my computer cry. I have known RAM issues (had a bad stick, and now I just have way too little) that I'm going to fix soon but Owl's Head takes at minimum 5x longer to load than any other area and it quickly uses up all my memory if I don't quickly look at the ground and just run to the lunar rift. Lots of the time it crashes my entire system, at which point I don't think you guys get any data :/.

Figured I'd ask :p. Having fun tho anyway, looking forward to hopefully playing for another weekend :)

18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Except it does give them data. You crash. Memory gets eaten up. That is diagnostically useful information. Even if it is a small amount of ram you have, as that can help set minimums or show inefficiencies in allocation.

19. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

I'm not sure if that's right. If your PC just crashes, all that they can see is the data I was sending to the server before that point. Its incredibly important that they get data including the exact cause of the crash, and as far as I've ever known that isn't possible when your PC crashes, just if the client does.

Ofcourse, I could very likely be wrong or could be different for them too, really not sure. At this point it seems pretty pointless tho as not many people have anywhere close to the Owl's Head issues I have, I know exactly whats causing it on my end AND I've gone through it several times so the data is there if they do actually get it.

I'd just like to be able to test more pvp and give feedback and such on that :/

20. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Didnt you just make a report, hey I crashed?

Data collection is not just about data they are "streaming" while you play. They cant collect data about your actual experience.

The data they see might say: this guy is connected and is getting all the updates! And not be able to see your experience is, yeah I get all the updates, and everything is running @ 5fps or the screen is completely black, or my keyboard is not working. You are still getting and sending data, that they see.

That is why it is incumbent on YOU the tester in a PRE-ALPHA and ALPHA and BETA, to tell them the context and client experience.

That is still data. You can never have enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.