1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 4 Update & Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

83 is the latest version. The patcher sometimes has a bug where it can't download successive updates properly. make sure you quit and restart it a few times to be sure.

Either way the main release for non dev+ people won't be until tomorrow morning. This is for the windows version.

I'd like to point out there's no evidence of a mac launcher or patcher in the instructions you've linked, which is a little confusing.

*edit* Looks like the links will be updated soon.

2. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

The Linux (and Mac) download link https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/r3/SotA-Linux-R3_p5.tar.gz in the R4 release notes is identical to the one from R3, is that a mistake or intentional? I just tested their md5 hash, and the files are indeed identical with both hashes being 7a5afdb190e4f015f9ea6847e3437053. Links have been removed and updated to "coming soon".

I'm excited about being able to play again and reporting the fun bug, it's quite odd how that one little mischievous bug seems to sneak itself into every release. ;-)

tradyblix likes this.
  3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Doh! Forgot to delete those. We are doing the final tests on those launchers. Will put proper links up "soon"

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  4. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Patched to V83, ready for tomorrow morning. :D

5. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Good to go, ready to rock here! Bring on Release 4!

6. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Yeah right - have a feeling maybe it was the other way around. They were likely riding along orderly in that there cart and you pitched it into chaos. :)

Thanks for the detailed test post, as usual.

7. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Links for mac & linux builds now posted

8. anaheimskip

anaheimskip Avatar

How do I actually patch? I launched the game and restarted, but it never patched. Tried to download and install again, but that crashed.

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Dude... That's awsume... Thanks...

10. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

So with housing will it be kinda like UO? Where you can place houses anywhere in the world?

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

You have to own a housing lot, and you get a house with the lot and if you have better houses from pledging or the add on store you can upgrade it on the lot.

At this stage tho, it's too early for the permanent, persistent housing of the game. We're just in the hidden vale, which isn't even on the main map.

This is probably not where most people are going to decide to place their houses, its months off at this point.

O`Sullivan likes this.
  12. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

I guess what I meant is, will the housing lots you purchase be all over the world and not just in towns, villages and cities? Sorry if I am derailing this post I sure do not mean too.

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I don't think it's been completely decided. There was a thread called Remote Lots that I started that raised this issue, but I don't think we've had any official word on this.

I for one would certainly like to see lots away from society, in beautiful, unusual or inaccessible spaces.

I'm sure there is a fair amount of demand from players that don't want their characters to live "in society".
    There may be technical or logistical issues associated with implementing it, however.

I think it could be a good ongoing crowdfunding stretch goal series.

rild and Hauk like this.
  14. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

I totally agree. And it adds so much more to the game by exploring and finding that perfect place to claim as your own :)
    Thank you very much for answering my questions too :)

15. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Chomping on the bit!

16. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

When Everquest came out I remember dreaming that Britannia would have been awesome realized in 3D. When I look at these pictures and think about how I felt about UO back in '99 I get all giddy. I guess I'll have to swear off losing my life to MMOs another day.

rild and mitchellhamilton like this.
  17. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Today my Linux patcher/Launcher for SotA was first stuck on "About to start main patch client... Step 6/6" after it downloaded some patch, but after restarting the launcher it patched the game properly. It's great that we finally have a launcher and patcher for Linux! Working on my Gentoo Linux system. :D

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  18. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Only thing I know for sure is that the team has said there are a lot of optimizations still to be done. That in itself can explain poor performance.

In the pre-releases so far, I have had to dial the video quality down to fastest to get something like decent performance (Intel i5 3.1 Gh, standard 1 Gb video card).

If things improve with time and optimization, well and good. If not, I have warned my better half that I will be agitating for a new rig:D

rild likes this.
  19. Diziet

Diziet Avatar

Just thought I'd pop in and say Hi! I'm a new backer and hoping pledging monthly (my current pledge amount should still be high enough) will still grant me access to go bug hunting over the coming few days! :D I still look back on UO as the best MMO (especially its handling of skills). Having read through the forums everyone seems might friendly too.

Hope to see some of you there!

Asclepius and rild like this.
  20. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Welcome to the fray, at least there will be fighting later today.
    It will surely be a lot of fun, let us make all the monsters run.

:D

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.