Something Mac users have been waiting for...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lum the Mad, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

No, it is half the price as Windows. ;)

2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Does it matter to you? You should be getting it included with your pledge, assuming you Pledged. But otherwise it might if it's on the apple store so Apple gets their cut.

3. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

It was a joke on Apple products being more expensive in general than competing products.

Isaiah likes this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Only if Apple was publishing it :)

5. Elbregan

Elbregan Avatar

Thanks Lums! Looks awesome!

6. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Our goal is to get a working Mac and Linux patcher and client for R2.

Why would you want to see CPU/RAM usage for something that is wackily, wackily not ready to be in anyone's hands yet? Trust me: it's not ready yet (see the first line in the first post in this thread...)

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  7. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Based on the screenshot, I think Lum has confirmed there will be swimming.

8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Yes, It's virtually a promise now.

9. smack

smack Avatar

I thought the screenshot implied all Mac users would be required to play nude. Well, their avatars that is.

FireLotus likes this.
  10. Dominus

Dominus Avatar

This gives me hope to play SotA natively... VMs don't fare that well (or at least I didn't have success back then with the Ultima Forever alpha)
    Thanks for giving us a glimpse.

(I just wonder why there always needs to be flaming when Macs or Mac software is being discussed... - as for expensive, at least the latest OS X is 100% cheaper now than the latest Windows :))

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

An alternate opinion: I have 2 PCs - laptop (The Home of the Shroud!) and desktop. Also have iphone and ipad. My calendar is synced through icloud from Outlook to my iphone, and also my wife and I sync our calendars. So no matter where we make changes, they appear on all devices. I have also used "find my iphone" on the PC to find the thing when it's lost:D

Syncing the iphone/ipad to PC is not a problem for me. I accept without argument that the file system and format etc is a non-negotiable issue, and is doubtless easier on an Android. Nevertheless I can negotiate it and do what I need to do. Not saying it's better, just quite possible.

And icloud is free, and was easy to set up.

12. Chuzpah Goodfellow

Chuzpah Goodfellow Avatar

Nice, Can't wait to test on the Mac!

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I hope it works on my Macbook Pro (from latter part of 2008).

14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great to see, thanks!

I know there are a lot of Mac haters out there, but Apple products including Macs are only growing in use. It is good to see developers paying attention to a growing audience.

15. no_excuses_its_released

no_excuses_its_released Avatar

There will always be Mac haters. They can be safely ignored.

On topic: Looks great! Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to installing this on all my Macs :)

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Ignoring seems to be one of the biggest traits of a mac person. They seem to ignore all facts placed before them. That's okay I like Mac products very much as well. I see their importance, but I'm also not going to get too involved in them because they are like the mob... "Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

One of the big mistakes of people who "hate" Apple is that they don't see the reason for Apple's success. They also don't give Apple credit where credit is due. It's a platform that you have to accept, and it might in fact be a vital technology you may have to directly support on the job.

Apart from their popular look, and design features Apple products are very stable and they always work. The few flaws they have are easily over looked. Apple has very few products if you think about it. Whereas Windows is developed to support many types of hardware, OSX, and IOS are developed for a small specific line of hardware that has a solid quality control. That is really the reason Apple products work so smoothly. Even Linux is ported to all kinds of devices, and there is no way to ensure that the drivers and hardware is going to be reliable. So people blame some performance issues on Windows when it's the fact that apple has so few devices it can actually develop a more precisely designed product. Some people like to think it's because it's based on Free BSD, but that isn't the only issue that contributes to OSX's stability, it's the quality of the hardware and drivers too.

Macs just work period, and you can count on it.

17. DarkBlue Monkey

DarkBlue Monkey Avatar

Wow, bitter much?

Yeah...I think you just did. Please take your anti-Apple trolley to another board somewhere else and keep this focused on SotA, please. Thanks.

On topic: Great to see the Mac version's coming along well. I tried it out the last weekend it was up, and looks great! Glad to see the Mac version will be released along with the Windows one. Really wish you guys would also do an iPad version now that game controllers are out for it as well. The Air's got great graphics capabilities, too. Not high-end computer great, but good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.