The current state of PVP?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bambino, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I have been away from SotA for quite some time and I am finding it difficult to decipher what is going on with PvP at the moment via the forums.

Can someone give me a little input on what's going on?

I can't simply jump in and test it, I'd have to spend days grinding to get to a proper level to PvP. Which I don't mind, to an extent. I just have no time at the moment.

Over a year and a half ago, stacking glyphs was essential to PvP. It increased the damage and allowed you to use less focus. The last I played, it gave very little benefit to stack a glyph. The only reason to stack was to create a combo. That may have changed but that's where I left off.

People complained about not being able to stack a card while moving around focusing on the enemy. They got it changed. PvP stagnated.

With stacking dramatically nerfed, the intense adrenaline rush I got from the old innovational twitch combat system was gone. It may still be gone unless things have changed that I an unaware of.

This meant that PvP took less player skill to become masterful and left reliance on avatar XP & skill distribution. Some releases it was all about the equipment. Where I don't mind XP, skill distribution and equipment, it should not mean that player skill should be thrown out the window. I felt like I was playing the typical button mashing PvP that every other game consist of after these aspects of twitch combat were removed.

I did like the direction that melee was going with the 'free attack' system. No longer would someone stand next to someone mashing buttons, now they had to coordinate themselves. Again, this may have changed.

I have been playing H1Z1, and other survival games, which have more of the Ultima spirit that I became accustomed to all those years ago.

Like I said, I am just trying to get a feel of what's going on with PvP these days. it was the reason why I fell in love with this game.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Numa, Garfunkel Humperdinck and Tahru like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

3. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

That was the first thing I watched. It doesn't really explain to me what's going on. He explains what combat skills are doing which is nice.

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sorry then. I have not been playing too much the past release since there was a good rise in unprotected players.

majoria70 and Bambino like this.
  5. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I will say, the video has very little stacking going on. It seems like Jobe was trying to keep his heals stacked if anything.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome back Bambino. :) Well as you know I'm not too much for flagging PvP although I have occasionally ;). So there are many changes with food being required to keep your focus up, resistances are in, and buffs truly matter. Quite a few skills have come in. I think things have gotten much more interesting. I don't hear as many complaints about deck combat anymore with lots of tweaks continuing on it. I actually love it and I didn't think I would. I'd say just call upon any buddies you had in game and hit someones pvp arena or duel. They don't count against you and you will raise fast and they can give you lessons on it. Just jump in the water is fine. You will raise fast at first, so just have fun. As always I'm Majoria in game but no PvP expert for sure; )*cheers* and good to see you back. :)

oops edited because we do hear combat complaints but not as many about it being 'deck combat' and that they should change it to more traditional combat is what I meant to say. ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

PVP is better now than it's ever been before...but since it's never been that good, that's not saying much.

There's no meaning to it. The combat system is unbalanced (chain lightning is amazingly OP). The game's basic infrastructure is still not built for PVP and that shows up all over the place. From when you enter a town and are immediately attacked by people you can't see yet. To when you see a person on the overland map that is flagged but you still can't attack them there so what's the point? Or the fact that if you're not flagged and you'd just like to randomly jump someone that is you can do that without any type of cool down (it's a free attack!). It's just not designed for PVP....yet.

There are improvements in the works, including a PVP town called Blood Bay, and there's been more of a focus lately by the developers to at least talk and think about PVP. There have been slow incremental changes, like being able to stealth on the overland map, and not having your name show up in the scene if you're flagged (instead it only shows a question mark). These types of changes are most welcome.

The game itself though is fun and I play as much as I possibly can. I would encourage you to dive right in. I think you'd enjoy it tremendously if you have time to play again. Just be prepared to find things that are lacking and will continue to take a long time to fix/change.

MrBlight, Lyndoman, Numa and 5 others like this.
  9. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

@margaritte: Thank you. =)

@majoria70: I'm not quite back yet. =P I'm trying to find something to pull me back in.
    I like food/potions! Potions were historically useless, I'm guessing they are viable now? I got to mess with resistances and buffs quite a bit in the past, but I am sure they have been changed quite a bit. Do you think part of the lack of complaints is lack of PvP oriented players?

Numa, Tahru and majoria70 like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Many PvP players are posting much more positive since the last two releases imo. Truly when you think about it, what if you had the perfect thing to say in feedback to help. Not coming back would be our loss then ;) *sighs* :)

11. Drocis the Devious

Food is great, very useful. Potions are still completely useless.

Resistances are great and very useful, but relatively expensive and in pvp you risk losing them because they're tied to armor and clothing.

12. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Though it wasn't full fleshed out, the core combat system, the way the glyph system worked, was very challenging at one point. In the aspect that it wasn't point and click combat or about mashing buttons.

What!? People that aren't flagged PvP should definitely have a cool down. That's pure craziness.

What's going to be great about Blood Bay that Shardfalls don't offer? Are the shardfalls still open PvP and full of exotic resources?

The question mark over an avatars head is pro!

13. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

HAHA! Majoria... You do have a point. <3

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

It's all button mashing right now, but that will change over time. I have no doubt. It's just that it's a small team and they work very deliberately. It's going to be good by launch.

That's what I keep telling them. It's not a "problem" now because of the low population. We don't have enough people here to abuse it. But once we get an influx of people, the forums will be begging them to change this.

That hasn't been announced yet in full. I will say that based on what I've heard I'm very excited though. Shardfalls are still always pvp, and get this, any pvp zone including POTs forces multiplayer. No more going to a shardfall in single player or friends mode.

Well it's not over the head of the avatar actually (although that could be really cool!). It's really that when you enter a scene there's now a "nearby players" box that you can toggle and it will show you everyone in the scene. The flagged players only show up as a question mark though. So you can't tell who's pvp in the scene unless you're right next to them. This is pretty cool.

Numa, Bambino and majoria70 like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would also say talk @Duke Avery. He seems to be having a great time doing something pvp releated, or it seems I did read something he said;)

Duke Avery and Bambino like this.
  16. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

The percentage of people flagged PvP has definitely increased, I know, I'm one of them.

I wish more would flag, I found since flagging that the game is more exciting, you never know who is around the next corner.

On the weekend two newbie pvp'ers attacked me in Ardoris, I was caught off guard and no idea where they came from; so exciting!:) (almost like they were waiting for me, right by the bottom right corner of the red box around my house in my signature).

MrBlight and Bambino like this.
  17. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

That's definitely good to hear

If I were a guessing man, I'd say that getting attacked is a rare occurrence. At least it use to be.

18. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Yea I agree, but I was also attacked the next day, on my way back into Soltown, I was a HUGE amount over weight with gold ore and I think someone saw the opportunity. Luckily my dex being 1 didn't seem to affect my lightning. lol

Bambino likes this.
  19. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

lol, man... that's the kind of stories I like to hear.

20. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Hey @Bambino , Alexander John Here. Welcome back!! PVP is great atm i feel, sure it still needs work, but i feel like its heading in a good direction. and skill is a lot more involved than some people realise, i myself am level 104 and was ROFL stomped by a level 84, because he had a better build than me. indicating that skill is heavily relied upon :)

Bambino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.