The PvP Enigma

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by G Din, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think the only thing that holds a person to PVE only, is Fear! You hear stories of people being ganked and losing all their stuff, but most ganked individuals get ganked because of their own mistakes, crap talking the pvpr/pkr, or going to the same place over and over again to get ganked over and over again! Once you lose the fear you will be ok in PVP! If you fear all the time you will get ganked theres no way around that in pvp land except staying in PVE land! Dont come to a pvpr and say "oh i want to SORTA pvp!" there is no in between when it comes to pvp you either are or are not! There are so many "are nots" out there that want to play a SIM, Farmville etc... so i suspect it will be more like a SIM than anything else! That my opinion i hope the "are nots" dont ruin what could be a good game and if they do, well theres other games out there for us to play and you can have your "Avatar of Farmville"!

Praefectus likes this.
  2. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

People also visit the same place over and over again because the QUESTS take them there. Its not their fault. Also you might want to remove that demeaning tone in your post about PvE-rs. They pay for this game as much as you. It doesn't help to make your point valid and it does sound annoying.

Tarsilion, vjek, Jambot and 1 other person like this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

That should be a criminal act, which gives you a permanent kill count, which is different from the temporary guild war flag we are talking about. If that is what you want, go for it.
    That is an act that involves you in the guild war, but shouldn't flag you as a criminal. See the difference?
    Guild wars are an entire different style and class of PvP that deserves separate rules, and separate considerations for people who do participate in guilds. If you are not a guild person, that's fine, but your preferences should not drive the options available those who are guild oriented.
    So you say. Others are of a different opinion. With Selective Multiplayer, both you and people who enjoy Guild War PvP but aren't fans of Open PvP can all get the style of game play they prefer.
    Why not, if people voluntarily elect to participate in that activity? Who are you to dictate how they should play the game, particularly in a type of game play in which you do not even participate?
    There is no PvP land. There is Selective Multiplayer that permits people to select the kind of game play they prefer, and to see the kind people who's preferences match their own. I suppose Portalarium could make it so a pure PvE player never see people in a guild war, but why should anyone care if I am fighting with a rival guild if they wish to remain neutral, and my guild war has no impact upon them unless they choose to interfere?
    But you can. Join a guild, and start a guild war. Guild wars are one step down the PvP continuum from Open PvP, and permits players not quite ready for Open PvP to experience something more akin to combat than the sporting event that is an Arena Match. Guild wars have a definite place in the game, and serves a definite purpose.
    Everyone is entitled to one, but in spite of your opinion, I'm guessing that Guild War PvP will be part of SotA, and will be a successful part as well.

Time Lord, Seon and * Envy / Midian * like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Some others have talked about not choosing sides. However your idea of multiple colors is a good idea, but for a different application.

We should be able to see our own guild members with a specific color, and we should see enemy guilds with another color to identify them as legal to attack. They shouldn't be labeled the same color as a murderer (whatever that color might be).

Another issue is that guild wars might get complicated so we shouldn't have a different color for each guild in the war. I'm thinking it will be possible to have a massive guild war between multiple guilds. Say there are 4 or 5 guilds involved. Two of the guilds are in a war, and one guild has two guild alliances, and the other has one guild alliance... Should allied guilds be allowed to join???

If allied guilds are allowed to help out in a guild war they should readily be allowed to join in the fight instantly becoming the same color as the guild they are allied with once they make any act of war (healing or attacking). Then they should remain that way like Owain said about people helping out in a guild war... let them be flagged for that guild war for at least 8 in game hours. However unlike a normal person joining into a guild war they are not involved in they shouldn't be labled as murderers for participating in the war since they are aiding an ally and are now subject to the laws of war. They shouldn't become PKs for joining in.

EDIT: However until the allies attack or heal they shouldn't be flagged legal to attack by the enemy guild until they make a move. So allied guilds should see the enemies of their allies flagged, but not vice versa. The allies should have the right to stay out of the guild war if they so desire. Especially if they are allies of both guilds!!! lol

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

The way UO handled this was pretty simple, if I remember correctly. Your client identified an opposing guild as orange. Guild mates and allies were green. Criminals were grey. Murderers were red. Everyone else was blue. Attack the wrong person, and you get flagged.

Time Lord, Seon and Isaiah like this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

You should ask for a PvP shard with no opt out, then all the world is yours.

blaquerogue and Tarsilion like this.
  7. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

I understand, but, guild war is pvp

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

If you don't want to PvP, why would u want to guild war. It doesn't make sense

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

There are many reasons for a person to not want to PvP and fear is probably the least of them.
    While I play some pure PvP games, I would not want to PvP in SotA either.

In the past my wife was admired in her UO PK guild for being completely fearless, yet she would rather only PvM.

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am a fan of friendly fire, so anyone is a viable target, it's up to you to decide if it's friendly or not... or if it's worth hurting an ally to hurt an enemy.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Because some people dont like to PvP with random people.

Owain likes this.
  12. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sure, but all the guild wars I've taken part in were for role playing purposes. Once, we fought a war with a guild who decided (for role playing purposes) any guild who's members wore plate helms would be subject to attack. They had a back story explaining why they chose to try to enforce that, but we went to war with them purely for role playing purposes.

It's not a hard concept...
    I can see where one guild would have a disagreement with another guild, and just want to limit the conflict with that other guild, and not open it up to Open PvP. A guild war is PvP, but it is not Open PvP. Not all players, nor all guilds want unrestricted PvP, but rather, they want it on their terms.

That is also not so hard to understand, it would seem to me.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah well im annoyed with all the PVE posts on PVP forums! So i guess we are even, i will not remove my opinion no matter how you take it!

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ok so explain to us PVPrs why Guild warring is relevant! so 2 guilds can fight each other? thats it? waste of time, i can get 30 people to go kill off a guild! (isnt that the same thing?) IF i want to have that side of mountain for mining and there's a guild there I attack and kill them! why? Becuae i have my bar slid over to PVP and i can do that! same thing seems like a waste of energy to join a guild and follow all thier rules because one guy is in charge and says this is how its done or your out! lol guild war waste of time to me (thats my opinion) but you guys go ahead and have your little sporting event! more power to you!

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I totally agree with you! thats what i said to Owain, Owain didnt say that i did, i think we should be able to help out our friends! Without being flagged criminal, is it a criminal act to help out friends?

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im down with that!

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Most of the time in other games besides WOW most of the pk attacks took place while gathering resources! at low level and not at quest areas, there were times that red and blue left each other alone to complete those quests (in UO) in WoW, well thats a different story, but most PK kills take place while leveling up in resource gathering or gen skill building attacking npc monsters, i was smart enough to go somewhere else safer from the Pkr! If i went into Fel on UO i knew there was potential for a good ole ganking! Its not that complicated to move elsewhere, or bring reinforcements!

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Some people are just courageous! I had 7 different toons out of those 7, (2) were pvp, but my others toons could also hold there own enough to get away or to a safe place, but all in all we all knew where the pkrs hung out at mostly. Fear is definitely what keeps people out of Pvp, FEAR OF GETTTING GANKED BY A PKR, while collecting resources. Of course alot of people just talk it off like "well i dont want to lose all my stuff, just certain things that dont matter to me!" Honestly if it doesnt matter to you it doesnt matter to the pkr either it will still be on your body, or they say "Its not fair for me to lose my good axe or good armor!" why not if i was a Pkr and i saw you had nice stuff, that is the only reason i would pk you! Just to get that! so yes the fear is out there disguised in excuses, coated with frosting!

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I dont think any of us should have our personal terms set for PVP (guild wars) that would be catering to one type and not the other! Unfair at the least!

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I have other options if this game doesnt work out! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.