The PvPvE Compromise

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Stundorn, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

Not at all. The developers have always promised meaningful PVP and consequences for our actions.

You don't. So far PVP is murder and thievery. To make a distinction we would need to add a 'red vs blue' system with real consequences for our actions. And so far this is nonexistent.

Do you know the only real difference between a PK thief and a virtuous PVE hero? The PK thief gets more content. Shouldn't it be equal at least?

Currently a player can flag PVP all they want and still have access to 100% of the game. Non-PVP players have to give up their playstyle to get the same amount of content. What some have proposed is exclusive content for the non-PVP crowd. Perhaps areas that can't be entered if your avatar has been tainted by obsidian shards recently. Then PVE vs PVP becomes a real choice with consequences.

Stundorn and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hm a post of me was deleted, well didnt remember what or where i made a personal attack, but there is still one subversive attack...
    Well that reminds me of the sacrificing attitude of some politicians around the world today.

I for myself do not believe that thousands of pvpers left the game because of that.
    If Portalarium had recognized thousands of pvpers and less pve they would have developed towards the majority.
    As they did, and thats Socializing, decorating, roleplaying, cooperative pve Players!

2. Proof?

My last poll isnt representative of course, but i proof me right.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-playstyle-you-are-poll.75636/

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Did anyone notice how Portalarium decided that the Kobold dungeon in Blood Bay will now only be PvE?

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

really?
    why?
    To have PvE players pass a PVP Zone to enter a PvE Dungeon?
    Or just because PvP there makes no sense, less space, dense mob spawns etc...?

to me its not important atm... i take what i find good and fun and play with it, and thats much, all the concerns around and such i try to forget, because they don't harm me much.
    i would find it better if...
    but i guess that arguement is vor everyone an doesnt count ;)

5. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I believe (hope) they're going to put in a "back door" of some sort so we don't have to pass through the PvP area.

Duke Gréagóir and Stundorn like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Armar like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

there will never be a compromise between the two, too many haters from each side! The best bet is for the devs to just say this is the way it is so deal with it! problem solved! those who want to leave can and those that want to stay can. Im so tired of trying to come to some kind of compromise, it will never happen. ( thats my honest opinion )

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

As Darkstarr answered my question in the Missed Questions Thread... PVP and PVE will stay intertwined here. Love it or leave.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Vallo Frostbane,

Yes, it was always clear that PvP was *part* of the story, because moderating conflicts between avatars is one of the main things the Oracle is set up to do. So saying PvP should be separated from story elements makes no sense here.

10. Armar

Armar Avatar

With Crowfall and some other, upcoming promising games which are focussing on PvP and dont treat it like an unwanted, third child, this will be tough.

SotA is a great sandbox for RP'ers, maybe the best, but most others features are still lacking. Its a difference if a game is developed for PvPers or if the producers seems to see them as a customer base which they would like to harvest too because of some extra cash or because of kickstarter goals.

They maybe can get players who like the core game (mostly RPers i guess) and then like to try some PvP but not players whose focus is PvP. Total different crowd. Especially the old PvP UO guilds.

// Armar

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Right now, we have two types of PvP in the game.

1- Go into a PvP zone or flag PvP and prepare to be attacked by anyone for no real reason, or attack anyone for no real reason. No motive for attacking someone is required. The winner can get some loot or ransom, but otherwise there's no consequences. Maybe some guilds will play as if they're on opposing sides, but this has no meaning, since everyone forgets about it when you leave a PvP zone or when you unflag PvP. People who want to avoid mean guys will go into PvP zones when the servers are empty.
    2- Start a friendly duel or contest with someone or friendly arena fight. In a gentlemanly manner, agree on the rules and prizes.

What we don't have is structured PvP with motives, stakes, and consequences.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  12. Armar

Armar Avatar

Killing an attacker doesnt make me a "murderer". I dont "run around" and randomly attack people.

Please point me to a working "virtue system that has consequences".

And a "flagging system" like in UO, doesnt work in an dynamic, sandbox style game. Its either too easy exploitable or puts way too much restrictions on game mechanics.

// Armar

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  13. Armar

Armar Avatar

and i doubt you can have it without a true PvP+ server. "Meaningfull" PvP mostly arises because of competition around valuable and/ or rare resources. If those can be harvest in PvP- mode => no conflict. In PvP+ mode one would need to setup a raiding party or try to conquer the area to get this important resource to build a certain crafting station, weapon or tesla-tower etc.

There could be "maningfull PvP" within a story line if fractions align themselves with or against the oracle, for example, but this requires significant man power. You need game masters to initiate and steer those conflicts and the story. So we are talking of hiring real people who will be "PvP GMs". And then you might run into problems if someone _thinks_ that the "PvP GM" favours one side..

And manpower, i would say, is one of the things portalium is lacking. Its astonishing what they accomplished so far with the small team they are.

// Armar

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I take over this opinion !

There are offensive PvP and defensive pvp players .
    One are going to attack, steal and rob and take the initiative, the others want the thrill and maybe defeat "aggressive" PvPers .

I think Portalarium decisions is more about to invite the more defensive types who don't kos any other PvPer , but of course we have some PK people around and that is it what inflicts the battles.

When I feel ready to loose something and think it won't hurt me too much and I can go on playing like i want I will flag when I need to.

I would like to see guilds take over control of passes and roleplay if someone want to enter "their region".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.