The way the deck system should work

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Veylen The AenigmA, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am very tired of the spread sheet combat, the rotation priority. Spam #1 attack as long as it's not on cool down > spam #2 attack if #1 is on CD > Use #3 filler as last resort.

The card system seem much more reactionary. See the situation and use the abilities available to fit the situation.

It's not unlike PvP combat. Priority combat doesn't work so well in PvP, unless the opponent is standing there letting you do your priority. Instead, you must react to the players attempts to break your rotation or avoid it all together.

As long as there is some logical approach to how the abilities populate the toolbar, it's all good. Such as: you have a primary attack and a shield block. The card system will always populate the attacks into the hotbar location for primary attack and same with shield block.

You get a pommel strike (instead of base attack) and stun the target, now the shield block becomes a shield bash for the knock down. You know the attacks are always going to be there, just don't know the level of attack. (varied by skill level of course).

Anything is better than the trending combat in MMO's

Alayth likes this.
  2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I have a feeling you'll be able to latch keys on to certain card spots. For instance, if there are 5 card spots across the bottom, the would be able to key latch something like 1-2-3-4-5 so you could quickly select the choice given. All it will take is the time to look and make a selection which will be a bit challenging at first until you learn what the cards look like, then it will simply be a matter of a side glance to see which spots the cards will be in. I'm also happy that this should prevent spam attacking the same overpowered combos over and over (paralyze, flamestrike, ebolt, hack anyone?) because I'm sure there will be a limit to the amount of the same card you can have in a deck and you may not draw that card in the order you want to pull off a heavy combo which really levels the playing field; especially in pvp.

3. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

The people that didnt vote yes or no dont count towards a total of people

4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

The locked abilities from what I understand of them is that they have determined how many you can have at this time, but they will function where you have the ability you want in the slot you want but they will have increased cost and can't be used in combos. So you will have options for a more traditional experience especially if they let you lock them all. A more common approach will likely be to use 3 or 4 skills/spells in locked slots and then have the rest random so you can combo those skills. So you aren't watching anymore than you would watch for a cooldown in any other game.

They are also working to make each skill/spell very unique and identifiable with peripheral vision so you aren't focusing on the bar if you are using all random.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

Hahahahahahaha. Right, if you answer "Not Sure", you're not a person. You realize your claim was that most people dislike this, right? The poll disagrees - it says the majority (over 70%) either like the system or are willing to hear it out and give it a shot (the position of the majority of the people you've been arguing with). Comparing only those that unquestioningly say they like it to those who had a knee-jerk dislike it is not really an interesting comparison.

Also note that that's an incredibly old poll - March 14 - which is before we knew very much about the combat system at all, before the combat and skill mega-posts. The additional information we've gained (the skill and combat dev posts) have impressed me, at least, and made me more sympathetic towards the system.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  6. Veylen The AenigmA

doesnt it means that they didnt vote yes or no for a variety of reasons and thus cannot be counted as is with any poll. I guess if you like going out on a limb with assumptions and forcefully tryig to make it seem like it backs your view then yeah you are correct

You guys obviously ignore whatever you dont agree with or any argument that doesnt support you and then harass them. At least im going off the numbers of cast votes instead of using fuzzy logic to try to make it seem like people with no opinion somehow support me

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

People have no opinion because we don't know how the system will work yet so they have nothing to really base an opinion on other than speculations.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Mishri like this.
  8. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

As is with any poll? No. It depends on the question you're asking. This is basic data interpretation. If you're making the claim "Most people are against this system", and using that poll, you are making a claim that the facts do not support. If you had said "Most people either disliked this system or were unsure of it when it was initially talked about", that's true, and a strong case that this system really has to (or had to, since we don't know how opinions have changed in the intervening 9 months) prove itself. But you can't go around claiming that it's putting most people off, since almost half were saying they're not sure how they feel about it.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

Yu can argue semantics all you want. Most people didnt support it. That voted

Voting the third option is like voting present in the senate. Its meaningless. A vote by definition is either in support or against. Ididnt know there were so many pollster wizards that habe masters degrees in poll data interpretation. Its the most sloid data we have to go by. Bt the third vote negates itself as t could be either one and since we dont know cannot be assumed to be in favor or not. This argument could go on for ever do you really want to carry on arguing semantics forever indtead of discussing the game?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Also to address something you said earlier, I'm 99% certain there will be no raiding of any kind in this game. It's being developed as a single-player adventure game with some multi-player options. It isn't an MMO.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

And to say most people didn't support it is 100% false, indeed, every person that voted they wanted to try it support it. The majority don't oppose it sight unseen.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yeah, think you are going out on your own on this one.

If the poll was:

• Yes:
    • No:
    • Umm blue?:

Then, yes, the 3rd option would be worthless.

The poll is:

• Yes:
    • No:
    • I will wait and see:

Wait and see is not an invalid response. It does not support yes or no, but it must be counted. As these people would very likely vote in a new poll, after, they see more data.

Alayth likes this.
  13. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

This is just incorrect.

No, that's not the definition of a vote - you can have a vote with multiple options. Like, multiple candidates on a ballot. If one candidate is under 30% but has the most votes out of anyone, it's still incorrect to say most people voted for them.

Not in poll data interpretation. Masters in cognitive science (halfway to PhD). I think I know something about data interpretation ;)

No, the third argument isn't either in favor or not - it is exactly what it is, people saying "I don't know yet". You were initially making claims that the majority of people that see this system are going to see it as a negative thing - the poll doesn't bear this out, even if we take it as accurate description of current opinions. A large portion of people will see the system and say "Yeah, I don't know what to think about that", and it might not effect their willingness to support the game or not.
    You're still replying, as well - I'm just getting a chuckle.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Okay guys. I think it's time to get back on track. Arguing about a poll on an online forum isn't really going to accomplish anything.

15. Veylen The AenigmA

People vote for something. A vote that is considered a no vote is just that. Not counted are people that dont choose yes or not are no votes because they arent making a decision one way or another thus it cannot be counted because they chose not to participate voting for or against. Be it they dot have eniugh info or whatever reason since we dont know their reason nor do we know what their vote would be we cannot count them either way. So my reasoning stands people that voted up or down are the only ones that can be counted and guess what. People who didnt like it come out on top.

And yes for those that made a vote of consequence. Tje votes side with me seing how the qbove i just mentioned doesnt factor in the no votes despite you clearly wanting tjem.

Mod Edited for content

16. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I don't wanna be a negative Nancy or anything but have these people been living under a rock or in Canada or something? That's pretty much how every 3d game with a controllable camera has worked since like 2000.

From what I've seen with the skills layout with spells and abilities it's not like there's going to be a whole lot of combat skills to choose from anyways. A few weapon specials with your preferred melee skill. Then elemental spheres or schools or whatever. Each with a direct damage pew pew. Followed up by some utility spells annnnnddddd a summon.
    It'll pretty much boil down to spamming just a few abilities the last time I checked.

17. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

You should probably get your facts straight before you rag on another Country. I am completely wasd efficient, I don't know how else it would work properly but customization is always the best route, I would want the target circle to follow my eyes myself.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

One thing I haven't heard much in this thread is the need to test this system. Not only because the system might not just allow us to cast the spell we need at the right time, but it might turn out to be a stressful system.

Card games allow a certain amount of time to make a decision. If you are constantly managing icons popping up from your deck randomly while trying to fight against another player in real time it might build up real stress. A person like me who already has an anxiety disorder that might not be so good, and it needs to be tested.

Even without an anxiety problem stress can build over time just like eyestrain. You don't notice it but if you are playing in PvP mode and you are constantly managing random cards *quickly* it might not be a problem but do that for a couple of hours every day and throw in a few unlucky losses... then your whole personality could change and you will need to take a long break from the game.

So we should take this into account when we evaluate the system during the testing phase.

Alayth likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Another issue is that building a deck for spells seems a little bit strange to me. Invisibility, and teleport are examples of types of spells that require specific timing... Those spells don't deal out damage, and they shouldn't be random.

I truly believe we will end up with a hybrid system before the launch of the game.

20. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Actually, those are two examples which could work great. If I had a card stack for "override the default dodge", either of those would work. I could blink or vanish or w/e. This is exactly what the cards should be doing.

Obviously mixing defenses with attacking, assigning them to keys you can't naturally hit, and and then tossing them randomly all over the screen makes no sense, but that has been discussed to death.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.