What does Blood Bay bring to the table?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by MrBlight, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

AFAIK people wil lrush to do quest there that will allow them to take lots there.

I wonder whether based on the quest outcome or virtue you will be allowed to place lot only in virtue/scoundrel area or it will not matter.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea id be pretty let down if this is the *extent* of the faction system and such.
    Its very... very reliant on forced player content generation. Which is fine, to a point.
    Still should be an objective based ... system IMO for real PVP enjoyment.
    One of the many many great suggestions out there that would be relatively easy to implement, and would bring in PVP players/have an end game for people done grinding.

3. Gix

Gix Avatar

While I didn't experience the change yet, I saw the patch notes stating:
    So that's a step in the right direction for sure!

SotA doesn't provide any factions per say, but there might be something buried in that local community/economy thing that you guys are trying to establish. Longfall vs South Paladis or Midmear vs Grunvald, North & South Paladis joining forces against Regalis, etc. You got an entire world that's ripe for global domination! If you looked at ESO's PvP and then looked at Novia, there might be something worthwhile there.

Now, Blood Bay is contained so, even if the game supported that, you wouldn't necessarily be able to take advantage of it in this particular scene... I think whatever you're doing with both towns in BloodBay would have to fill that function in some shape or form. WoW had static maps (instead of Horde taking over the entirety of Azeroth) and it still managed to make a regular joe feel like part of a team by just participating in his/her way.

I say "have to" but, really, those are only the kind of things that keep me logged on a particular game.

Yes, that's what I meant by badges.

Numa, MrBlight and Vas Corp Por like this.
  4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

@Vas Corp Por
    While there are numerous threads about pvp and pve and all that, a couple turned hostile and ended with berek locking them. He then stated he would provide a real answer to the direction of pvp, and if / what changes between what you guys hoped at kick starter, and whats realistic now.

@Vallo Frostbane has repeatedly and nicely asked regarding guild wars, castles and the like, only for dodging by the devs.

I dont accept that * we are developing and things change * as an answer to .. well any of the questions being asked.

@Duke Avery nicely posted in response to my earlier frustrations about the lack of clarity of what the long term plans are. Berek said he would give a real response, and as he cant answer everything, hed ping a dev who could elaborate.

So the main questions still hold from the now locked vallo thread, and the still open, only player speculation filled , avery thread, stemmed from a flooded thread of frustrations.

Can you please elaborate on what you guys actually have PLANNED or will be trying to implement in regards to PvP? And can you elaborate on any changes from the kickstarter aspirations to now? - As it stands today

95% of whats been discussed regarding the long term pvp plans, is player speculation. And i feel its only fair to stop this carrot on a stick, attitude. I would love to know if my long term reason for being here ( decent pvp ) has changed since the start.

Now since im not the most politely written person, both @Duke Avery and @Vallo Frostbane have written up good questions before. Can you please answer them, and stop having berek post, vague deflections, closing the threads, and claiming they are answered.
    ( especially since thats the reason the threads were made in first place )

IMO - the idea of good vs evil is fine, but i see no plans of you actually elaborating on it in the open world pvp.
    Are the long term plans to rely on scenes like blood bay, to be exciting by player generated content only? Is anything actullly goig to push the * good virtue* people to team up against the bad guys? Or is there more coming to reinforce this?

Please answer the original questions from avery and vallo with answers to the best of your abilities, as i am still seeing none.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

But it's a valid answer, though.

One alternative is that they tell you what they have planned, realize through iteration that it's not working and then they're stuck having to tell the public that they're pulling the system out of the game.

... like Diablo 3's PvP system:

Let them figure stuff out and then, once it's been through a few iterations internally, they'll be able to give you more elaborate answers. The original goal for the game is still the same, they just don't know EXACTLY how to get there yet.

With that said, that doesn't mean we can't throw ideas at them, though. If you're afraid that the game won't turn out the way you want it, being here and providing feedback will increase the odds that the game will satisfy you. Just remember that your solutions might go against the team's design philosophies or the game's mission statement so the "they have to do X or the game's dead" mindset won't do much good.

6. Vas Corp Por

Vas Corp Por Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I don't know. I'll gladly share the limited knowledge I have about future plans for systems, but I'm still learning the systems we have now. Like Gix so graciously stated, keep throwing ideas out. I pass them all along to the appropriate people and they really do get bounced around and discussed.

Numa, majoria70, Gix and 1 other person like this.
  7. Vas Corp Por

I clicked 'like' this post because 'marry this post' wasn't an option.

Numa, majoria70 and Gix like this.
  8. Vas Corp Por

AFAIK you won't be restricted to one side or the other, as people's virtue alignment can change, and some people are 'neutral'.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Wow what a great video. Plus the narrator was fantastic. This is a great ideas video for us ;)

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

If this is going to be a free-for all thread for PvP ideas, a little while back, I outlined an idea on how a justice system could create a framework for a potential faction based PvP; built around alliances both between player guilds/towns and NPC guilds/towns,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/creating-a-justice-system.72929/

Duke Avery, Net and MrBlight like this.
  11. Vas Corp Por

Maybe I should clarify, I'm a world builder, and haven't been on the project all that long. If I say "I don't know" that does not mean "The entire team doesn't know".

Lord Andernut likes this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hey community, please be kind to our new developers that don't know everything under the sun just yet :). Let's ask basic reply questions to help build this as a discussion, instead of assuming too much on a single response by us.

Also as I mentioned in several threads now, we need to keep this discussion focused on Blood Bay and what it brings to the game... Kickstarter and other discussions are not for this thread. Keep it focused please.

Thank you!

Numa and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Not bashing anyone here, but from a player and pvp fan View point it some times seams like "thow spagetti on the wall and see what sticks" type of feel.

Buc dens inspired this idea, and bucs den was where the really bad people hung out and did buisness and where the good people came to get revenge.

Bad = reds
    Good = blues

I dont think sotas system supports this play style, so there has to be other strong pulls.

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Fair enough.
    I assumed Vas was a large part of the team that was involved in the PVP.

Its hard to keep the post focused on Blood bay specifically.
    Because the reality of what new stuff it brings to the table for PVP, is basically another pretty zone.. and more player speculation of the plans for the future.
    Since i guess everything kind of falls off topic on that, i hope my link to Vallo's older thread can get some attention from a dev who might have a better idea in this subject?

Back to blood bay specifically.. I think it shows off what the dev's can do with a zone when they want to. Unfortunately i dont see any application for more (hate this term) Meaning full PVP in the near future. Too me, its a shardfall with housing. A well decorated PVP POT.. and i think after the new flash wears off, it will just be a ( hopefully ) more active PVP POT. I suspect there will be a lot of PVE'ers who only go there to try the new mobs, and have no intention of fighting players.

I was really, really hoping it would give some kind of insight into the future plans for either goal orientated PVP, or a virtue system that pitted good vs bad players. I hope something is coming in the near future, but blood bay definitely wasn't the answer i was hoping for over the last few months.

Its pretty, but i suppose i hoped more mechanics would be in play with it to make PVP better, and was hoping for maybe some insight into the big picture of PVP overall.
    Maybe other PVP focused people feel differently, as if you dont care about PVP, the PVE in it is nice looking.

I think i was hoping the mechanics for this would be in place, and not just the zone. Even if they get the virtue system sorted out for the NPC towns.. i hope theres a way they are implementing it to player vs player.. or am i always just going to see every player as a hostile ?
    Will be interesting to see where they go with blood bay from here..

Vas Corp Por and Brass Knuckles like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Dont underestimate what housing will do, but they should make pvp type gear and if you craft that gear in this zone you could proc something. Also the pvp dungeon will be a huge pull, though I hope they force a pvp flag.

Vas Corp Por likes this.
  16. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Oh man, I didn't even think of that - yes - everything underneath or hooked into Blood Bay should inherit a forced multiplayer PVP flag.

That and I can't wait to drop a house in Blood Bay - it'll be the first guild residence for Blood Nation - Muhahaha

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Not to try and pin anything on this specific Dev response but really just wanted to say that what comes to mind after hearing PvP plans is something akin to SWTOR launch and it's PvP planet Ilum.. Players just standing at each entry point firing at one another until finally, devs respond by closing down the zone to other purposes...
    cheers

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Judging by the attitude of the majority of players ( PVE ) i expect any hope of unique pvp items, especially gear, will be smothered out by resistance.

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

I had a chance to experience this today and I like it. If I may suggest two things:
    • Offer N,S,W,E directions relative to the island next to the area name... some of us just don't know the name of the locations and having it merely as a list of names invites trial and error. Trial and error with loading screens is a recipe for frustration. Maybe this could be an actual map where we click on the desired dock at some point in the future?
    • Have the same prompt show up when you leave Blood Bay. Right now, to exit to the side I want, I have to leave the island, go back in and select the area where my exit is and come back out again... This simple change removes two unnecessary loading screens. Call the exits "Eastern Shores of Regalis" or "Westbound" and "Graff Island" or something along the lines.
    While that's fine and dandy, that's not something that will draw me in.

Welcome to the process of video game development! It's very iterative.

Numa and MrBlight like this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/26/t...-subtleties-of-governing-a-virtual-world.html

I'm posting this link to show how in 1998 Asheron's Call pioneered some groundbreaking PvP and PvE mechanics. Despite increasingly outdated graphics it managed to hold on to thousands of players to the very end till it closed down last January 17.

Link to a discussion on that event in the Game Room forum below. Highly recommend watching the video.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-old-mmo-asherons-just-shut-down-video.78794/

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.