What PvP Players can look forward to

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by enderandrew, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Crafting mats in PvP areas doesn't greatly offset the balance of power and make those players more powerful. Complaining that someone else has access to something (when in reality EVERYONE has access to those mats if they're willing to take risk) is nothing more than sour grapes.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  2. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

yes it does greatly offset the balance of power, because essentially you are telling crafters that in order to get the best raw materials you have to go into PVP territory and get ganked. Thats just silly. PVP players will gather up massive amounts of these materials and force PvE players to buy it from them since they have the market cornered.

Make it more dangerous to get the best materials FOR SURE. but not because you will get ganked by an 11 year old. Make it harder due to environment, monsters etc.

And anyway, we werent discussing that. we were discussing the merits of PVP only gear.

3. enderandrew

Every MMO has random factors. You get random dice rolls determining skill checks. You're suggesting there is no player skill in assembling the deck or playing the appropriate card for the situation, or resolving that quickly. That is still a matter of player skill.

If anything, dynamic combat will remove macros that were so popular with PK players and actually require more skill for PvP than previously.

Time Lord, Akeashar and Acrylic 300 like this.
  4. enderandrew

The example provided by RG was crafting mats in a PvP area. Those mats still have to go to a crafter to make items. Unless the PvP player is also a crafter, they have to put them in the economy by sending them to a crafter. Or maybe they just get sold through a player vendor.

Crafting materials eventually become accessible to everyone with coin. You can take the safer route, which is slower, or take risk for a quicker reward. Such is life.

Edit: That is no different than putting rare mats in the bottom of a dangerous dungeon. The PvP debate needs compromise. It is unfair and wrong for people to insist that non-consent should be forced on those that don't want it. But it is equally wrong for PvE players to demand that PvP be given zero reward. If there is no incentive for PvP, then no one partakes in it, and we hurt those players.

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Honestly i grew up with UO, way before tram, and i still play, there are high valued items in spawns, which ever ones they may be! I know that so lets understand in UO i hunted Pkrs, I have no problem mining in fel, even if i may get ganked! In fact i became a pk hunter because like most of you i got ganked a lot when starting out! But i also learned from the Pk how to beat them at their own game, aggro pulls if your blue, surprise ganks when red and gray, outside their keeps! so all in all because of the PK i became good at PVP! It was a force that drove me to be better than i was! I hunted bounties and i had all heads places on my steps so all the PKrs would have to come by their heads everyday and remember, you cant win em all! My payoff was not gold it was seeing the PKr run when i came around! So yes i am very familiar with UO!

6. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

it doesnt need compromise. There is no incentive to be a pve player, nor should there be in order to be a pvp player. You do it because you enjoy playing that style, not because of an artifically contrived purpose.

If you need an artificial reason to PvP, then I would submit you dont really like PvP, you just like the rewards it gives you. That is counterintuitive.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Unfortunately i will never be in PVE! :) unless i am forced to go there! Then ill go get it over with and come right back to my dangerous world! :)

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  8. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

This is where I think your argument falls apart. The "reason" people PvP is because they enjoy it. It's the playstyle that gives them enjoyment. That's it. Period. If you are PvP'ing for any other reason than you're doing it wrong.

Different mats or higher spawn rates in PvP areas are not to reward YOU, the PvP player; they are there to entice US, the PvE player into trying your playstyle.

Time Lord, docdoom77, BillRoy and 2 others like this.
  9. enderandrew

Counter-argument. PvE players should never get quest rewards or loot because the reward is playing!

See how silly that sounds?

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i will be one of those players that buys from players! since the only skills ill be working with are combat! (ok maybe fishing, but i just like that!)

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

there is alot more to PVP than just ganking noobs! well said!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

No one said you shouldn't get rewards, we're saying the rewards you get should not be BETTER or MORE than PvE players get.

Time Lord, docdoom77 and BillRoy like this.
  13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah it sucks if you work your skill to perfection and that doesnt even count! why was i wasting time perfecting my skills? to have a random outcome of practiced skills!? makes no sense! That could also effect your crafting and gathering skills too! Why do the combatants get punished??

Time Lord and Ara like this.
  14. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

So if I role play the town artist and create a paint style everyone likes. The PvE players should be able to loot one off a monster? Wouldn't that do more damage than good?

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well if us combatants are not skilled in crafting we will be buying from crafters! there's your reward! More money and possibly someone that can get certain materials for you that you cannot because your afraid of getting ganked! see how we all can work together! In a social environment! PVP and PVE!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

We don't want a reward. We do it because we love it. That's the part you aren't getting.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I hate card games!

18. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

If I spend a week rehearsing for a romantic comedy, PvE players should find those tickets to the play on a bandit or something?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

But i dont enjoy crafting! like you may! I just want to battle! Monsters, and other people that i feel need to be fought for whatever reason! So you as a crafter have it made your doing what you like and im doing what i like why cant we work together? To help each other enjoy their game!?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

It won't matter what kind of PVP they do since there is no system to distinguish one player from the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.