Will The PVP Flag Work?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ravern, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    essentially yes. But one thing the battlegrounds did was balance the players and put them on 2 different teams. It would make it a bit more fair as you could only kill the other team.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

So I see we're just going around in circles.

3. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Do you believe a purely PVE game would be sustainable without rewards? Players just killing monsters and going on quests without receiving any tangible progress?

Brink1123 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

chris has talked about items that can only be gotten in a pvp zone. I cant remember the specifics but he mentions something about parts or pieces to build things. Not sure what those things are but I can maybe assume something like siege equipment such as catapults and stuff like that.

5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

PvP Need some LOVE or a SERVER :D

Brink1123 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Circles, no. Paths, yes, the path I describe is the paths the devs have implemented or detailed. The path you are championing is a path specifically not chosen. I'm not trying to convince you to follow my path as I don't have a path. I am more playing a devil's advocate to help you see the other perspectives of the player base. Why it feels like a circle is the never ending loop to pull me into that one chosen path.

My preferred game is full open PvP but I know there are flaws to such a world. Until PvP is perfect people will want to have a way to avoid it. I'd don't see full open PvP being perfected in this lifetime.

Beno Ledoux and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Womby

Womby Avatar

It's a story based game. Progressing through the story is inherently rewarding for those who care about it. It is also partially a sandbox, so we can roleplay to our heart's content when we are finished with the official story. In order to support that, the game provides a balanced economy with resource gathering and crafting as major components. Role play is further supported through optional PVP. Those, however, are just building blocks.

We can use those building blocks as raw material for our own roleplaying. The reward there is to establish a known game character and pursue his/her career. Perhaps start a small business, form friendships, take part in player generated activities such as quests, sporting events, plays, etc.
    As a group we are capable of entertaining ourselves, and to settle for something as boring and mindless as resources or loot as the main reward for playing is in my view unimaginative.

Sandbox games are ideal for those who are ready and willing to create their own entertainment. I believe we should take advantage of that opportunity.

8. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

The fact that some of these rewards: items, gold, experience, etc., are used for role-playing and sandbox purposes doesn't take away from the fact that they're indeed, rewards. And these rewards are acquired through PVE: crafting, questing, progressing through the story, killing NPCs, etc.

But the main point is I think it's bit foolish for one to say PVP needs no rewards unless they're willing to say the same about PVE.

Brink1123, Womby and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

I think we're going around in circles because I believe I've addressed all of your points. But then you repeat the same points again.

So at this point we should just agree to disagree.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

you have to remember that pvp and pve are apple and oranges. You cannot relate them the same. In pvp it takes 2 people which requires mutual consent. In pve it only takes one person vs the game. When you have 2 players against each other you must have rules and even though it is a part of the game the whole game must follow along the same standards.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's where you are wrong. The saying "PvP is it's own reward" only applies to open PvP. You flag open PvP because you wish to endure the world as PvP, that's the reward.

All other forms of PvP can have rewards for being successful in PvP.

12. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

PVE, by itself with no rewards, is fun. At least it is for me. But... it is even more fun when you get stuff from doing it. The same holds true for PVP.

13. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

I'm sorry but that's not a reward. At least it's not a reward in the same sense as killing a NPC and getting gold.

Sure, any kind of PVP is fun in itself, but it is even more fun when there are rewards.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

the reward IS in fact the loot even though it is one item or gold or what ever. Also the fact that you want to have pride in yourself for overcoming some one else. You should not be rewarded in a game based on virtues with getting more out of pvp than you would out of pve IMO.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's where we will always disagree. You want a reward for PvP. Fine, be successful at PvP and get a reward. (there is a loot and ransom system for a reward currently) If you want a reward for PvE while being flagged PvP, no, you will not get that.

16. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

A person may also see overcoming a difficult NPC as a reward in itself even if it didn't drop anything.

17. Womby

Womby Avatar

I can see your point of view. From my point of view, those are not so much rewards as background mechanics. Ways to advance my own story. The real reward for me is having the ability to create and live that story. I fully appreciate however, that others may see things differently.

18. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Well, we'll see what happens. The game is still in pre-alpha and you're not part of the development team. Moreover, Port has made it abundantly clear that they will and have made changes to the game that they were initially against but because of player feedback, they changed their minds.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

that is true, one might see it that way.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Heh, if I was on the dev team this conversation would be 1000% different. What I am telling you is due to this conversation being rehashed and that horse being beat to death time and time again.

So as I said before:
    But remember, this is a forums, people are more willing to post a comment on your thread when they disagree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.