Will The PVP Flag Work?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ravern, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Actually, I would call a FPS that allows you to interact with 60 other players in a single game a MMO.

2. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

We have been told that when the game is released there will be a yet to be determined mechanism that splits the connected players into mini-shards. The limit of connected players was said to be from around two dozen upwards of around 60-120 maximum? Old information and I'd guess there are more than that connected in these early tests so they should officially revise that information.

This will be my last comment on the matter, this is off topic and I don't want to drive it further off topic. Your opinion is that it is an MMO due to the fact that it was stated by someone(your source quote is not referenced at all) that it is a "new form" of MMO which leads directly to what I said in the previous post that for it to be an MMO, the MMO definition would have to be adjusted. After a time we will see how history treats Shroud of the Avatar and if it is accepted as an MMO or not or if the MMO umbrella is opened to be inclusive of what the team here are doing.

3. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

So that's what guild wars does. And I and most people would consider guild wars a MMO. And interacting/seeing 60-120 people in one scene is a lot.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_05

It's from the FAQ on the main site.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The letters MMO was used in that description. The letters MMO were not used to describe only to compare.

Will FEEL like does not equal IS like.

5. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

It's an MMO.

I feel like you're really grasping at straws here.

In what way isn't it an MMO?

6. Curt

Curt Avatar

If damage taken is stored as two variables one for PvE damage taken and one for PvP damage taken. Could have so PvE flagged healers only could heal the PvE damage taken.

Womby likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

It goes back to where the term was created. It was during the development of Ultima Online that the phrase was coined. UO is a seamless world without instancing. All the players on the server were in one world. I don't know the server cap for UO, 2000 is the number that comes to mind, someone else will probably know the exact #.

Parsing the 2000 down to 60 or less with instancing removes the massive from MMO.

And yes, I will argue that WoW is not an MMO. I said that when WoW was still in vanilla.

But, if you feel ambition, there is an interview with RG that has him talking about this subject and why he doesn't agree with the definition. Hunt it down if you like.

8. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Guild wars has instancing. Still a MMO.

I and many others would still consider 60 players who can see and interact with each other a MMO.

Alright... and now im done...

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

When guild wars launched they went out of their way to tell everyone it wasn't an MMO. If they are calling it an MMO now it's because it's not worth arguing. Makes no difference how it's labeled. What does matter is there are endless points of view and SotA is going for an inclusive position. Not an exclusive. Pushing PvP too hard will exclude people, it's been proven time and time again.

10. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

You don't seem to care what developers label their games unless it fits your view. For example, World of Warcraft is called a MMO by Blizzard and the majority of its consumer base. You disagree. You wouldn't call WoW an MMO. Fine.

But in the case of SotA you're trying to say it's not an MMO in part because Port didn't label it as such. However, you're being inconsistent here because based on your own reasoning with regard to what genre WoW falls into, it doesn't matter what a developer labels their game. Besides that, it's pretty clear to me that Port did label SotA an MMO. They wrote in their FAQ on the main page that open multiplayer will give players a traditional MMO experience with one caveat: there is also a full solo player story that players can enjoy. I don't see how one could make the leap that because a game contains a full solo player story then therefore it couldn't possibly be an MMO. And I don't see that leap being made in the FAQ itself.

Again, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

When I played Ultima Online the reason I participated in PVP was simply the challenge of defeating another player. Also being able to loot the player and keep their head as a trophy was pretty kool. In SOTA we also have the challenge aspect, looting, and trophies so all the incentive to PVP is there for me at that point already. Now also having better resource nodes in PVP areas and being able to see my name on a leader board sweetens the deal even more. I can't think of any other reasons other than these that could convince me to PVP more. The challenge and looting/collecting trophy is enough in my opinion. I think if you feel like you need some kind of special reward in order to PVP then you are PVP'ing for the wrong reasons.

In the previous releases that I played while flagged for PVP, I ran into several players who were also flagged, and they indeed did try to kill me and vice versa. Sometimes I'd get killed while seeing a vendor or crafting table in town. I don't think there will be anything to worry about when it comes to finding people to PVP with once the game is launched.

Ristra likes this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They labeled it Selective Multiplayer. That's Single Player Online, Friend/Family Player Online, Multi Player Online. Which will feel much like an MMO.

If you want to call that an MMO, anything can be an MMO, generically. Even these forums.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Ok...I will help this on going circular argument.

When announced they were adamant it wasn't an MMO.

They have since called it an MMO...

It is an MMO now, at least according to the devs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.