So... mixed review on steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

So Steam have now this new review feature which shows not only the overall review score, but also score of last 30 days. SotA is rated Negative, while 19 % of the reviews from last 30 days being positive. Ouch.

2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I guess either people didn't read the negative reviews first or they just bought the game to give negative reviews.

gtesser and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Also do remember that Felucca was empty no one wanted to be gang banged by pk's and simply moved to Trammel including me

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Also alot of people were getting tired of being harassed and ready to move on to other things. Trammel was their effort to save their incomes. I mean if felucca style is ready that great, don't you think there will be siege perilious shard than just one?

While trammel striped away the freedom and excitement for certain people, at the end of day, people just want to play game to have fun. Getting killed and dry looted the first time maybe a thrill experience. Getting killed over and over, then things got old pretty quick.

Solazur, Leelu, Fister Magee and 4 others like this.
  5. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

These are empty platitudes. I think enough time has passed that most games at this stage of development should have their best foot forward and it should be a strong stride. Unfortunately what we have are a ton of questions, uncertainties and a very bad taste in our mouth.

I've had enough of pre alpha pre beta talk. Enough time has passed. We all know what kind of game this is going to turn out to be and I think if we are being honest with ourselves its not the game we imagined.

Hope is not gone, there still is time to reshape SoA into something that is worth the name 'Lord British', but lets stop acting like empty cheerleaders and start admitting to Houston that we have a problem.

Jivalax Azon, Solazur, Leelu and 8 others like this.
  6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

If I remember right, that pk looting usually didn't happened unless you went to the wrong neighborhood alone, like to a dungeon or farming hotspot by yourself. On Pacific there was this red guild that actually patrolled those places pretty regularly (FL), not sure about how it went on other shards. Felucca was generally fine as long as you travelled smart and in groups or kept your escape runebook hotkeyed. That's where being in a decent guild came into play. Eventually FL either chased away all the small guilds or recruited the good players out of them until there was no real competition left, so it did get kind of lame and it still is now. It has been rather awhile though so I could be misremembering.

7. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Agreed, to claim innovation in this game is deeply disingenuous. There is not a single aspect of this game that has not already been done before, or is a miserable throw back to sadder game play.

The only true innovation in this game is in fact dark: the way Portalarium raises money in a pay to win aspect. No game in history has sunk to these lows that I can think of. Yes, when Forbes Magazine praises you, you know that you are in the same room as Sauron, Khorne, Marcus Crassus, Carly Fiorina and Cruella de Vil.

8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I know this is an old thread but it just popped up on the feed again so. And I am trying to distract myself from some other boring stuff I'm supposed to be doing right now. In all fairness, Richard Garriott never said they were going to literally mix UO and the Ultima series per se, just that it was going to be a "spiritual successor" to them. That kind of phrasing leaves a lot of wiggle room. I think they can still succeed at melding the different types of games, but it will be very tricky to do it convincingly. Especially for those who have played all of them. So far it doesn't look bright (at least from where I'm standing) for the single-player Ultima style(s) either, for one thing those were all isometric, turn-based crpg's up until U7, and then only U9 was done in 3d... It's like they tried to take the style from the worst of the series (9) and mix it with a generic-MMO style of play, except for the typing and zoning parts (and UO was nowhere to be found :(). Pretty much the only thing in common with a UO-style game now is that Lord British is in there lol. No real skill usage or active/passive skill checks outside of combat, except healing and crafting for starters (oops and light). Yet at the same time they are heading way too far down the MMO-style path imo, and at this point change doesn't really seem likely.

These are some of the reasons why I'm speaking up now also, like others.

9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

^^*and taming skill checks, before somebody jumps all over me on that oversight. But hopefully you all get the gist of what I'm saying. Where's the "sandbox" element, outside of player RP. Taming, crafting, and combat are not "sandbox" imo.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Before Trammel, 100% of the population lived in Felucca. Lived in peace. Rules were different. The second Trammel existed the mentality changed. Trammel was a scapegoat. Trammel was safe cloudy la la land. See, miners didn't mind the risk of mining in Felucca, but the second a 100% safe place existed they logically didn't see the point of risking if there was an out, if there was a gateway drug they could partake to be in la la land. Trammel is a gateway drug.

Quenton and Fister Magee like this.
  11. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Yes and I loved the la la land and yes it was a fantastic get away drug from real life. I could kick off my boots and relax without being hunted after a long day in work ........fantastic

Mata, strabo, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  12. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

And I loved Felucca because it gave you TRUE risk vs reward. They nailed it then ruined it.

Quenton and Razimus like this.
  13. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Yes indeed it was, but not for me as I was just a humble carpenter running about in my little frillies and a practice hatch . I was forever running away from the hunters and when they found me I just stood there waiting for them to execute me. So now I ask you ......where was the reward?

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  14. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

First, why not fight back? Why would you just stand there and accept defeat? You have just as much chance of winning as your attacker does if you only would just fight back and try. PVP was pretty balanced in UO so why not just fight back?

As for rewards, the satisfaction of killing or holding off your attacker is a HUGE reward. Of course, the full loot on your attacker corpse is always nice. Also, your attacker will think twice about attacking you again 1 on 1 now that they know the risk is too high to attack you vs the reward.

I, myself, liked having to look over my shoulder and deciding if I should go out with my best equipment solo or wait for my guild to run dungeons together and wear my best equipment. Back in the UO days, this was the only way I knew how to play and it made complete sense comparing it to the real world and realistically even to what a fantasy world would be like. Over time I learned just what you can risk bringing out with you and if I lost good equipment it was because of my poor choices.

15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

If they truly didn't mind it they would have stayed. Those who stayed could charge more because the risk was higher so it made sense to them. Everyone else who didn't enjoy it left.

16. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I played on Napa Valley and still do, but in the old days pre tram, popular/respected crafters/miners had nothing to worry about from gankers because they were highly protected..... i mean highly..... sure sometimes they would get ganked, its part of the game, but you make it sound like every time you logged in you got pked and looted. Im not saying it didn't happen, i obviously wasnt there, but if it did you were either un popular, or not a respected crafter or maybe both.

I clearly remember one time when the guild i ran tried to get easy mats from high level miners.... to make a long story short we took about 20 people and blocked the entrance to the mining cave and started PKING the miners. i would say it lasted maybe 5-10 minutes and then about 30-40 people showed up to shut us down. Funny thing is most of those people were horrible PvPers but if you get enough ebolts, flames and explosions flying there was power in numbers. My point is the community protected them and when we respected them for that... after that we tried doing the same thing again but this time they had people there just for protection so it was much harder and more fun.. .that lasted a very long long time.

Then tram came and the community went to crap in my humble opinion.

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

I guess I am in the minority here. I had severe doubts about this game early on, especially with how long it was taking to develop.

That being said, the fact that every month there was a decent update kept my hope alive. Now, after watching the devs talk about the future in the recent videos as well as the roadmap posted to the site about the feature set in the game pre/post wipe, I feel like I can really seeing it coming together. Lots of people are upset about the combat system but we asked them to change it to something more involved and fun and they are trying. I actually find myself having faith that when it's done, it will be a lot of fun. Playing vanilla WoW the first year as a level 60 mage, I would just turn and talk to my college friends as I pushed the same button rotation I always did when attacking a boss creature. Having to pay attention and stay more engaged is great! I do feel the aiming reticle should be hidden when not in use as it does break immersion some. I also look at the quality improvement of Brittany to the earlier scenes and I am very impressed, even with the NPC's not inserted. Keep in mind we have more optimization passes coming up. After the optimization is when the devs can start seeing how much they can flex the graphics muscles as well as incorporate additional complex systems. I also guarantee there's a large amount of work being put into hidden elements that we haven't seen yet and probably won't till a few months before release. If I were them, I would start really pushing content and features Aug - Oct and then optimize and fight bugs Nov - Jan (smaller elusive bugs can be killed post launch).

If I am going to be completely honest and realistic, I expect Episode 1 to be OK. Episode 2 will make the game good. Episode 3 will make the game much better. Episode 4 and 5 will make it great!

I am going to stay positive even if I end up getting burned.

18. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Hmm that is not very nice! I was a mum of two young kids and mostly played solo the little time I had. I did not really know many players as such so for you to say that I had to be unpopular or not respected to be killed is not really fair.As for fighting back.......I was dead after one hit

Kara Brae and Ice Queen like this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I actually deleted my positive review. I won't give it a negative one, but due to the recent changes I simply cannot and wont endorse the game in the slightest. Very sad.

20. Mata

Mata Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.