So... mixed review on steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I actually recall this from a hangout, the answer was they would love to do it but simply don't have the funding to enable it to happen.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Not during Episode 1, which is good for us.

We spent 9 million soon to be 10 million on a game not even released. Remember this thread in a bit over a year, so I don't have to be lowly and say, TOLD YOU SO, after Shroud sells its first million copies during Episode 1.

If Portalarium had stock, I'd definitely be buying a few thousand shares.

Moiseyev Trueden and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well i'm if the finance houses were as confident as you then the money would be lent to develop the game very quickly to get this out on console..........it would be done in time for Episode 1 release.

4. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

All i'm saying is that people need to be a little more realistic and opportunities such as Steam should not be ignored.

In terms of funding, very few people would spend more than $100 on a game. I mean the last numbers I saw, pledges up to Royal Artisan ($90) made up over 70% of the pledges but only contributed to around 20% of total pledge funds raised. On the other hand Citizen and above accounted for around 7% of pledges but that equated to a whopping 55% of funding.

All i'm saying is that it is not reasonable or prudent to expect the top 10% to continue to fund the game.

Ice Queen, Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

Agreed. it's the Whales vs. Tuna vs. Mackerel paradigm.
    In a given bit of ocean (target demographic) there's 1 whale, 10 tuna, and 10000 Mackerel.
    Cash shops, to varying degrees, can target Whales & Tuna, but typically not Mackerel. That's for subscriptions.
    Allods, for example? Pure Whale targeting. They expect and continue to evidently find success in having their Whales each spend hundreds or thousands per month/quarter.
    From the perspective of shroud, Whales are in the thousand+ range, while Tuna are in the hundreds range. We don't really have Mackerel, but they could be in the 5-45 range, I suppose.

The point is, history has demonstrated you eventually run out of fish, unless you're targeting the Mackerel, or doing some very strange things to continue to attract the Whales and Tuna. :)

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I really like this logic and its pretty though provoking. Great analogy.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

id disagree with this point. The RMT market for online games is well... crazy.
    Kids spend $100-800 on knifes in cs:go and in many games people are willing to drop a lot of cash of "pretty" things or things to make them feel cooler or whatever the satisfaction may be.

Just cause our community is small right now, doesn't mean it always will be, or that we have to foot the bill forever.

As for steam reviews, there are TONS of games that have crappy reviews and have sold millions.

Port needs to bring their A game though when they decide to actualy advertise the game. The market and direction they target will be the make or break imo. Given people reasonable expectations, if they try to claim it as some ESO killer or some crazy action game then yea... . But if they target more towards Mount & Blade / Lore rich / Slow paced games then people wont get quite so upset if it isn't chivalryRPG on crack.

Logain and Acred like this.
  8. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Steam is the biggest digital distribution platform for PC games with millions of users. It would be stupid not to try and promote SotA there. Steam is also why the PC is no longer viewed as an awful platform rampant with piracy and companies that traditionally made console-only games are releasing their back catalogs on steam. Years ago I never imagined I'd see almost every Final Fantasy game on PC/Steam - but it happened.

The Steam community does have some big problems but they are not Steam-specific - they are more to do with the general gaming community on all platforms. I won't get into that although I do love all the salt on say... the Gone Home discussion forum. For all those complaining it "isn't a game" and other such BS, I would so buy a Gone Home 2. =P

What I am tired of seeing here however is this view that all steam users are idiots, that they only like AAA FPS games like CoD, or that they don't get early access or what type of game SotA is supposed to be. Newsflash folks: Steam has literally thousands of different types of games to suit all tastes, and players who are just as diverse. I mean Stardew Valley hit half a million sales two weeks after release, has an extremely good rating on Steam, and is a game about farming and character interaction. It's not GTA or CoD.

I think some of you people who view Steam as this place where everyone plays only GTA, CoD, or LoL need to broaden your horizons a bit. Not only are you terribly misinformed, you're also missing out on a lot of great games out there - many of which can be picked up for less than the price of a "Kobold Red Velvet Chair".

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2016
  9. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Cleaned the thread up a bit. I'm going to remind everyone to keep in line with the forum rules when posting.
    Opinions are always welcome so long as they are constructive. Insults and being disrespectful is not acceptable.

10. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Of the 60k backers, half of those are on Steam. A lot of the excess 30k are probably duplicate accounts, too (I know 3 of my 5 accounts are NOT linked to Steam yet.)

Either way, not a small chunk of players :)

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

If steam broke up the reviews/ratings based on version I might... key word might... be interested.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

AFAIK they never released Steam numbers. Did I miss it? Or is this just a guesstimate on your part?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The official version is that they are not allowed by their STEAM contract to release STEAM numbers.
    However some players showed that one can apparently backtrack some of the data if one knows how, which I don't.

Edit:
    Also just noticed - censored for telling someone to chill. *sigh*

14. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Say what? How could anyone need 14 accounts?

... unless you are majorly macroing.

HairballHacker likes this.
  15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Not necessary. Sometimes you want extra tax free lot deeds and you can only have one pledge per account.

LordBlackthorne likes this.
  16. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

From Steam Spy:

Release date: Nov 24, 2014 Price: $44.99
    Score rank: 27% Userscore: 67%
    Owners: 29,422 ± 4,137
    Players in the last 2 weeks: 2,134 ± 1,114 (7.25%)
    Players total: 25,306 ± 3,836 (86.01%)

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Only useful info out of that is:
    And that isn't all that useful either.

None of the Steam stats will mean anything till after release.

Fister Magee likes this.
  18. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Someone asked if there were numbers. I'm just reporting actual numbers from the only service I know of where you can get them instead of guesstimates.

As for what it means or what is useful, I couldn't care less.

Fister Magee likes this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Speaking to the room, or I would have quoted you directly.

For every one person that can see what data is interpreted out of context there are droves of people that will accept the data no matter the context.

20. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

Is that why you chose to take one data point you personally deemed useful out of a chunk of content from the same source and attach an arbitrary value to it...

...you know, out of context?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.