So... mixed review on steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That statement pretty much invalidate the claim that Trammel "ruined the game". Well.. Maybe that take away the opportunity for certain opinionated bunches from ruining other players experience.

You may still find this same group of people who prefer the old ways lurking in many free shards and they are the same reason why many other players decided to leave those shards and moved on to something else.

Remember another full open world PVP game called Shadowbane? How did that last? It stayed true to being massively merciless, but ain't nobody got time for that.

2. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Overwatch is super fun if anyone wants an alternative game to play right now while we wait for wipe.

Also, a mixed review would be enough to send me away from a game while surfing the Steam Store.

3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, enough for me to skip a game completely without bothering to read further.

4. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Apologies if that came across as a personal attack wasn't my intention. Just stating if you were big into crafting and involved with the community in your UO shard you would not have been constantly PKed. Would you have died sure, but it wouldnt be all the time or everytime you logged in. Thats why its important to become part of the community in ANY mmo with PvP for that matter. MMOS usually arent meant to play solo, though it can be done but at a great disadvantage.

Cassandra Corax and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Wish we could get a wipe of reviews on steam come Ep. 1. As it is, this game was released on steam as early access - no wonder the reviews are mixed. I'm surprised they're not a little worse, to be honest, seeing as many aspects of the game early on were either not implemented yet or broken/ineffective.

I understand that many of Richard's fans are of a different age group than, per say, myself (mid-late 20's who played UO as a kid). For myself, most all of my games are purchased and stored on my Steam library. Reviews -do- matter to me there, and to many others as well. They are not irrelevant, though presently they are an inaccurate reflection of the game.

Point: someone who hasn't played the game does not know that those reviews are dated/a poor reflection of the current state of the game. Steam reviews matter to my generation (born late 80's), and ALL generations after me.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

Which type of gamer are "WE" looking for ?
    Does Portalarium looks for specific players ?
    Are there any not welcomed players ?
    Do player with negative reviews and/or which legitimate critics on the game are not welcome ?

Sorry but I find your assessement quite haughty.

I personnally have switched my review from positive to negative one due to major dissapointements with that game. Am I not welcome anymore ?

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Everyone is welcome here! Not sure where you got that from :) It's part of the reason our steam reviews are bad. Many don't understand the development process we are currently on. And steam is too early for us.. but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Ice Queen, Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Nope. Sorry only mind numbing fanboys are welcome. 8^p
    Agreed. Steam reviews are vital. It's one of the reasons early access is the bane of a games existence. 90% of those who give bad reviews do not re-evaluate when the game is actually finished. They just leave the bad review up and there is an early-access tag, but that doesn't really reflect any changes. I 100% agree with warxnox that you need to update and adjust the review according to how it currently is. If we want positive reviews, the game needs to make SERIOUS efforts to be worth the positive reviews. Having us just update/upload positive reviews that don't reflect the actual state of the game is a mistake. People will buy based on positive reviews and then be hit with what we currently have, give a negative review, and never touch it again. Honesty in reviews is vital. Its why I wish steam didn't just have positive and negative as the only 2 options. I'd much prefer a sliding scale. Game a few releases ago was a 6-7 in my opinion (good potential, long way to go though to hit 9-10) and after current combat release 2-3 (not a style I enjoy and it unleashed hell on the bug side with massive unplayability). When the devs get things sorted out and flowing smoothly again the review would bump up again. Unfortunately, most people do not take time to re-review things. I'm curious to see if the new updates to the review system will help when our game is actually worth good reviews again.

Ice Queen, Leelu, Deliverence and 2 others like this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I can't wait to give a review (positive or negative!), and I will once the game is handed to me, in it's final state. I simply feel this game is not 'early access' or 'beta' yet. I cannot review it yet in all seriousness, and I cannot take any reviews of this game at this time, to heart, or as anywhere close to the truth (look at the official game play videos if you really need more evidence even, as these are out of date terribly). Steam is a problem for sure, this is not a doubt. There is no solution here though.. except to be sure to write honest reviews when we can fairly do so.

I DO love finding articles that review a release patch, and there have been many from reputable gaming sites as we progress, and they are sure to state about the growing development and such. These are good and fair reviews (negative and constructive as well), the type that SHOULD exist on Steam...

I am not a fanboy, hehe I believe to be one I'd have had to play ONE Ultima or at least UO, and I haven't ever :) :p (though on gog.com I did get the series and think U7 is pretty neat!)

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  10. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Not the one ! I did not know UO, before discovering SoTA ( "mea culpa" ^^ )

11. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I hate to say it, but this is one of the worst reviewed games in my Steam library. 30% positive recent reviews, 67% overall? How did this happen?

Leelu likes this.
  12. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

You can dismiss many reviews as having no real feedback. However this means you're ignoring a lot of positive reviews too. "This game is awesome!!!!111" is equally as useless as "This game sux!!1111". You get no useful feedback from either review.

So then you need to analyze all the reviews with legitimate complaints. Sort them out and split them up in to categories. I'd hope this has already been done because I see a lot of the same complaints across many reviews. I myself have not reviewed the game yet because I want to wait for the final release. But I have opinions.

Steam has recently introduced a system where you get a rating overall, and a rating for the most recent reviews. Still looks a bit dark for SotA. I think they need to examine why that is.

13. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Yes I do agree with this, however in the past many mmos game designers thought the same way and made it hard for anyone to play solo successfully . But then they started to realise that they then where missing out on a large chunk of customers . Many of these companies started to try to cater for more casual players who may only have an hour or two to spare a day, as well as players who lived and breathed for the game.Years ago on-line gaming was aimed at the young single male who had hours of time to burn. Times have changed, players now range from 16 to 70. But I think the biggest gain is that the industry has gained the interest of more women gamers. This to me is fantastic and I think that Sota is trying to attract a more wider customer base. Maybe for the very young testosterone driven male this game maybe a bit to slow to their liking and yes maybe this game may attract a more mature clientèle,which I personally welcome.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    Spoon, JaeJaeMe, Fister Magee and 3 others like this.
  14. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Do Early Access game reviews on Steam carryover to when the game is finally released?

Leelu and Acred like this.
  15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I won't be leaving a review until the game is finished. :) I do think though if a game is put up on steam it should be ready for the reviews and the scrutiny even if it's an early access game. People paid money for it and it's fair game for any review they'd like to leave. It's early access isn't a way to excuse the negative reviews. I've seen other early access games that get a pretty good bit of positive reviews. I hope when Sota is finished it turns out to be really good though and more positive reviews can be placed by folks.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Good point

Leelu, Cassandra Corax and warxnox like this.
  17. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

They almost got 9 million in pledges now so that is pretty much a yes.

kristof likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You really think $9mill is enough to create 5 episodes? I would expect there is enough for Episode 1 and maybe some left over towards Episode 2. Keeping people in employment isn't cheap you know.

Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  19. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Would suggest that is very narrow minded.

Leelu likes this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The following is a rumor, but makes sense. Shroud of the Avatar will be released on the gaming consoles, XBOX ONE and PS4. Consider the console release to be the reason for Unity and the changes to targeting to enable console controllers.

The game could easily sell 1 million copies when you combine the PC and console market. Hell a shitty game called Rust sold 3 million copies, ONLY on the PC. Now take $45 and multiply it by 1,000,000. I'll wait....

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.