Character customization?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhiannon, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzkiller0

zzkiller0 Avatar

I think that certain choices you make throughout the game should define certain customizations like if u make bolder and more courageous decisions then you get a stronger more hero like physique or if there are certain drinking or eating decisions those can effect if your thinner or fatter

2. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Cheers all!

Another style is Asian influenced armor. When Europe was doing there thing, so was the far east!
    Saw a show on Armor and weapon comparisons between the two cultures. Which was better for which weapon types and such.

Pretty cool!

Qball

nightshadow and Grayhawk like this.
  3. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Here is the basic Male Avatar physique for yah. I am working on hair and reworking parts cut ups for the character creation system today, so I thought I'd drop you a Pic. At least in this world I will have a good body right now!

[​IMG]

Qball

monxteri, OSullivan, Oakwind and 3 others like this.
  4. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Avatar

Thank you so much for sharing this pic with us. I can only suppose how many hours must have gone to create such a detailed shape.

Personally, I'm not so much a fan of very athletic body shapes. To me, arms and shoulders seem a bit overdimensioned, the upper arms are nearly as thick as the thighs. Or/and the hips are too slim?

5. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Avatar

These are athletic also, but somehow the proportions to me seem a bit more harmonious. I only post these pics to help the game, not for personal reasons! *wink to the girls* ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last one also has broader shoulders, but not as massive shoulders and arms as the avatar above.

FireLotus likes this.
  6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Yes, I'm with Grayhawk, but it's just personal taste. I don't like seeing all the veins and muscles to the point where they look like they could burst, or something. It kind of repulses me when it's that overboard. I just didn't say that, because it is personal taste. *smiles at Grayhawk in agreement though* [also I like the more 'natural' appearance, rather than the shaved and oiled look, but that's also personal taste]

Grayhawk and Beno Ledoux like this.
  7. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I have to say I don't care much if the armor or character physiques are realistic or from specific time periods or would be too heavy etc etc. Its a fantasy game, I just want it all to look awesome. I want to deck out my character and run around pretending I'm a knight and slaying dragons haha. Give us some sexy female leather armors and badass looking metal armors for both sexes.

EDIT: OK I realized how what i said about sexy female armor can be easily misconstrued, so I made a post a little further down explaining it...

This is the male version of playing dress up with barbies. I don't feel like they have to be realistic...

8. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I'm not so worried about realism more worried about variation. I don't want to see 20 or 30 of me running around or even 30 or 40 of my brothers/sisters/cousins/uncles.

rild and Grayhawk like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

At least some folks seem entertained. ;)

OSullivan likes this.
  11. Grayhawk

Grayhawk Avatar

I saw the suggestions for "sexy female armors" in the other thread and really hope we won't get such "battle-bikinis". There are so many games outside with dress up Barbies and muscleheads. As for me, put in some moderate sexy clothings, but don't make SotA a manga. And I think that more realistic bodys and wearables would help me to identify with my Avatar.

Phredicon, Fireangel and Beno Ledoux like this.
  12. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

I personally don't have anything against a "battle-bikini." But it should be this, what it really is. So no protection from it. Even less as from conventional clothings. Possible would be aswell some runes for some magic protection by the metal ones. Otherwise only some out of dress would be useful. But this could be done in a conventional armor aswell and would have more place.
    Pros of something like a battle bikini would be some a very high agility and possible a confuse debuf on ememies.
    Cons could be a high vulnerability, even from plants or small animals and even insects, aswell from the cold.
    As addition, i can asume thats not very appropriate. So if you ran trough a village, town or city peoples would react in a adequate manner. Possible thinking, that you're some employee from some bordel. ;)

So peoples who want run around with something like this could do it. but they would have to life with the consequences.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  13. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I for one am glad that, thus far, our artists have not equated "sexy" to scantily clad. Sometimes a full set of armor can look sexier then three coconuts and some string. :)

Btw... nice share up there Grayhawk! *points up 8 posts* :D

14. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

OK OK, I just realized I might've made a boo-boo.

( @Grayhawk and others)

By "sexy female armor" I did not mean **** like this:

[​IMG]

In fact, here is a really good article about what is wrong with that:
    intro:
    http://kotaku.com/5868925/the-problem-with-womens-armor-according-to-a-man-who-makes-armor
    article:
    http://madartlab.com/2011/12/14/fantasy-armor-and-lady-bits/

What I meant something along these lines:

[​IMG]

And you know, make the breasts adjustable during character creation (or later, at a Plastique Alchemist, for a nominal fee...)

nightshadow and Umbrae like this.
  15. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Yes, depends, how good the artists are in making the body. But i would prefer to have something like this correctly and with the nessesary restriction and adaptations implemented. Otherwise the game would be flooted very fast with no or nearly no clothings mods who will override the look from conventional armor, because i doubt new clothings could be implemented in the online game. And for the case there is really some more provokative assets like bordels (how already mentioned in some other threads), things like this would be in at all. And if they are in, they should be made correctly. Aswell would it be nice, if peoples would be able to wear stuff like this below the armor, as some kind of surprise (magic protection is meant here :p).

Edit:
    @postulio
    Yes, i remember the first armor aswell in my bad armor list, because its no armor for me after all and to heavy for some decorate object. the second one is at least by the right one good. But the protection by the arms are a bit low.

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

As far as character customization I wouldn't care if we initially only had 5 eyes/nose/face shapes to choose from. I don't need all the morphing systems. Height changes can cause issues with animations, but I think keeping the range reasonable keeps it alright. (so the shortest/tallest avatar doesn't need a different animation to sit in a chair). Weight changes can cause some armors to look weird, depending on how big of a difference they allow. a lean to fat on an X axis and muscle on a Y axis might work.

Marvin likes this.
  17. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Think for the start there are indeed more important things. But a more detailed character customization was already announced in the stretch goals. So it should be implemented. If its made nice and good i would be happy about it aswell. But it has time for after release. They shouldn't include something what woudn't work. And there was mentioned, that we can post modify avatars.

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Lets be honest no one wants 100 Arnold Schwarzeneggers running around. No 50 shades of Avatar please.

19. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

I don't see anything with that image link.

20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

It was working when Qball first posted it. Must have gotten deleted or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.