Character customization?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhiannon, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Not sure why you would go here. Over a decade of MMOs and always see a wide variety of character types from the tny gnome to the fairy to the Norseman and dragon. Sure some fighters are big and some mages sickly but there are hundreds of variations in between.

2. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Sorry about that! I had to replace the image with one with a logo and I messed up the link. Should be fixed now! :)

Fireangel likes this.
  3. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Speak for yourself. Ahnold is my childhood hero :D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is some idea's for models.

5. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hey all,

Thanks for all the feed back. The character above seems a little off thats because it was built on the original Avatar I made with clothes. When you bring things into zbrush and such, the original mesh can be changed or in this case bulked up. We really only use these programs to create Normal maps, but they also can look really pretty. When we apply the normals to the final mesh thing wont look as big and disproportunate. Also I am trying to get a new system in the creation tool that would allow you to pick anywhere between at least for now 3 body types. The tool, in theory, would make you be able to choose between these sizes with a slider for example. I am also goin to see about a slider for muscularity (if we get the first one the second should be no issue). That way you all can buff him up or down. For this to work, in my head, we would need to make a top end muscle defined character for the normal and you would slide it 0-100 %. So this guy is the first middle level character with highend normals on it. That make sense?Here is a rough image of my thoughts.
    [​IMG]

Again this is just a technical concept, not a near finished character. For example the nipples would stay intact and textures would change to match the character.

Qball

6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Thats sweet, Qball! Can't wait to see it evolve!

7. Beno Ledoux

Beno Ledoux Avatar

Mulheim-Karlich, Germany(Texas Transplant)
    Looks very nice!!! Keep up the good work. :)

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Glad to see that we are going the route of what a normal active human being would look like. Not too much bulk and not too lean. Looking good Qball.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  9. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

10. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Skin tones? Eye color?

11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'd like to point out that it would be nice if the musculature vs. fat of a player were dynamic in-game. If there were a calorie counter stat attached to every character, then we could change how physically fit our character is, by adjusting how much we work vs. how much we eat/drink each day. If there's already a muscle/fat slider for creating our characters, then it should be a fairly simple matter to see our characters move along the slider in reaction to our daily actions & consumption habits!

I'm fine with this just being a cosmetic feature, but if you guys want to take the extra step, we could have these values directly (buff/debuff) the strength of our characters, so our good/bad habits effect how much we can carry, or how powerful we hit during combat.

This level of customization would be wonderful.. if after adventuring for a while, i decide to spend all my accumulated wealth for a few weeks, eating and drinking and lazying about town, lifting nothing but a mug to my face day-in and day-out, my character should begin to reflect this in appearance!

I know it was mentioned that there will be salons in game.. Wouldn't it be cool if our hair grew over time automatically, and we had to visit the salon once a month or so to keep our style, or else it would start to look long and overgrown?

These are the little things that I think could bring SotA a step above the rest.. ;)

Grayhawk likes this.
  12. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Wow miracle dragon, thats...thats... Well i've never heard of that before.

Most people don't like to count there own calories much less game calories! I am just blown away by the idea, I'm not saying its stupid, I am just taken aback. I guess for now you could use the slider to change your physical appearance as you see fit. Honestly, I am not sure how we are doing the slider yet.

Wait... So in your system, if we get armor or clothes when we are thin, will it not fit anymore when we are overweight? Do our muscle atrophy because of lack of use. Battle axes become to heavy to lift or at least we lose some of are special moves?

I guess how deep are you thinking this goes? Anyone else have opinions on this? Seriously, not making fun, am just curious. It is a new idea to me.

Qball

13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Qball, Really? Fable was big on this. :) Well at least the fat/thin part (meat vs broccoli).

It would be nice to have continuous access to the slider so we could RP getting fat and lazy with the added visualization of it.

I DEFINITELY don't want to calorie count in game: nor have the tediousness of having "weight" sized armor I would have to replace. I also do not want to have to exercise in game to maintain my stats. I am all for the stick, but that just seems like adding busy work and would not be fun.

Isaiah MGT470 and Rhiannon like this.
  14. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

From an RP perspective it's an interesting idea, especially if you compare it to the hair salon. However I think that I'd have to hear about the competitive bonus given to fat out of shape players before I signed on. :)

I'd actually really enjoy having the option to be fat in the game. But I never thought about that limiting what I could do competitively. So I'd like to think that if a system like this existed, fat people would get some love in the crafting skills area of the game, and super skinny people would make the best mages, etc...

Then I'd want to understand how every mage wouldn't be super skinny, and every trader wouldn't be super fat, and every fighter wouldn't look like a GQ model, etc..

15. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I'm almost embarrassed to mention this on a power gamer game forum but The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 both had a feature where if you ate too much of a certain kind of food and didn't exercise your Sim got fat. And if you got and stayed fat, your life length was shortened.

In fact, both TS2 and TS3 had excellent character creation systems.

Just sayin'...

16. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

What a great excuse to keep people away from ill suited professions.

Trainer: "Hey, you're too fat to wear that armor...maybe you should go work out a bit and come back later. Have you ever thought about crafting?" Likewise, "hey, you're too bony to swing a sword and shield, you really need to put some weight on before you think about fighting...maybe you could try seeking out someone to teach you some basic spells to help defend yourself."

17. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

[​IMG]
    Who said weight limited
    what I could do competitively?!?!

Miracle Dragon and Goblin King like this.
  18. Robby

Robby Avatar

I have an obese great grandmother that lived WAY longer than most skinny people. 94 years old, about 250-300 lbs! Nope, not living too happily, but hey she breaks the "fat people die early" stereotype.

19. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

:) A trainer with years of experience. Now go out and prove the trainer wrong. It's a nudge, not a block. Besides..the developer was giving some example questions like would they lose the ability to hold an axe? That's more what I was referring to. People will choose any avatar that gives them the best advantage statistically...so you either need to make it completely cosmetic, or you have to be very clever how you handle the differences.

20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

My vote is cosmetic or I will sit on you. :)

Isaiah MGT470 and Rhiannon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.