Character customization?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhiannon, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think it would be really cool if SotA implemented a tattoo feature. I don't know how difficult it would be to code, design, and incorporate or how in depth the mechanic could be (i.e. custom art making,) but I think it would be a cool feature to help differentiate between players of similar physical appearance. Just an idea. I know not everyone is a fan of body art. But it is a simple way to add more distinguishable character traits between Avatars....thoughts?

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm all for the fat/thin based on actions.. provided that it was tuned in such a way that you'd have to actively pursue the change in order for it to occur within a short period of time.. (was in under 20-30 hours of play). The trouble with Fable was it was far too easy to change your weight one way or another by what you consumed.. that's fine given the pace at which the game played.. but SotA is a game you're in for the long haul. So affecting your appearance based on diet and exercise should be a fair amount of work. It shouldn't just happen over night.

Also I don't think there should be any particular benefit or drawback. Cosmetic change only. Beyond this it starts getting complicated. Keep it simple. Though if the game makes use of cover in combat there might be more obvious disadvantages to being larger.. :)

Archaaz and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I love the tattoo idea! especially the possibility of being able to pen custom art! This would be a terrific skill to be able to explore in the game, and wouldn't it be nice if these tattoos could make use of various inks, for colors and/or magical qualities?

OSullivan and Beno Ledoux like this.
  4. Miracle Dragon

I wouldn’t expect people to count calories in game, but there could be various signals that clue you in that either you are eating too much, are getting hungry, haven’t worked hard, or are getting tired due to so much hard work. I wouldn’t want this ‘feature’ to feel restrictive, I’d want it to feel like a natural proponent to roleplay your character in a way that’s fun and more fulfilling, and to make the game seem responsive to your actions can really help to achieve that goal!
    If I knew I could improve my look in game by adding a routine into my daily activities, like eating a big meal, and doing some crafting (several of which can be hard work and build muscles), it would help the economy, while I’m just trying to live my character’s life in a realistic way and have fun.

Most medieval clothes and armor I’ve worn has been one size fits all. If SotA plans to use sizes for this stuff, then you should be able to hire a tailor/blacksmith for a refitting.. otherwise, and more likely, it shouldn’t matter.. I’m fine with either way. I prefer this system to be primarily cosmetic, while avoiding having to break roleplay immersion by adjusting the size dials with my mouse in a special ‘character shop’.

If a character’s strength stats aren’t meant to change over time through training and use, then the buff/debuffs wouldn’t make sense, but if the stats are meant to change through use, then this system would simply allow our characters to naturally reflect that change visually in a believable way.

I'm glad the idea spurred so much conversation! I'm assuming the game will expect you to eat a certain amount each day to keep from being hungry. I figure if you work harder one day, then you'll get hungry faster and need to eat more. So as long as you always eat when you're hungry, you won't lose weight. (no calorie counting)

I definitely agree that the process should be pretty gradual.. we shouldn't notice a change overnight, but in a week's time? Sure! You shouldn’t be able to spend weeks adventuring never eating anything without getting scrawny and sickly.

Grayhawk likes this.
  5. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Here are some other pictures I came across too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mata, Devoid and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

some real battles of Nations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok.. who told those two they looked good walking around like that when facing off??? DOWN IN 2ND POSITION! and that poor sword.. I hope he didn't stop that polearm with an edge block.. ok dude.. you're practically primed for a pommel strike! Step a little to the right and his head is right there! Geez who trained these guys. ;)

8. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Everyone there is proud of there country. These guys and woman are professionals at this sport. Please be positive.
    Hay Do you have any more guilds ? (for Guild wars 2, Defiance, and Ultima online)?

[​IMG]

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No need to take it so seriously. Proud or professional all the more reason for them to stay in 2nd. :) If I got caught doing that I'd want someone to point it out to me. Been there.. done that. Can talk. I shudder to think of what pictures of me in a fight might be out there. :)

Guild was in UO for a few years. Moved to DAoC for a couple more.

Oakwind likes this.
  10. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Nice work .

[​IMG][​IMG]

Isaiah likes this.
  11. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

I was looking for a strong guild to join and you seem to have those strengths.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You're welcome to poke around the website and register. We won't be actively recruiting for awhile since it seems a bit premature so we're taking our time.. but we seem to have garnered some interest. Memberships will be confirmed during alpha / beta.

The links in the library are off our old website.. I'll rewrite all that stuff later but will give you a good idea what we're about. Our webmaster is working on features as he finds time.

13. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You guys are funny, you make me laugh!

Tell you what I will try and do. After we get the clothing and Armor and such ready or well on its way, we will look into this. I will have to consult with the Designers and LB to get their thoughts on if and how it would work. For now lets think about the other stuff you've been posting. Fire lotus and I are giving you guys a chance to get involved right now with Customization!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pc-armor-style-vs-realism.2838/

I know you all have posted allot of stuff here, but we need you to take em on over to this post and repost YOUR FAVS. I suppose you could post em all, but we am more interested in what YOU like the best!

You can still ping me here too, but no secret begging ;)

Qball

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Cosmetic for sure. Modern day trainers aren't likely to know much about historical hand to hand combat. Also our physically fit stereotypical body type isn't the only body type for people who are in shape. For example an Offensive Tackle that plays in the NFL would be very large and may even have some visible body fat. However if they are playing in the NFL you can bet your bottom dollar they are physically fit!!! They won't pay these guys hundreds of thousands of dollars a year if they weren't. In fact the ones I knew from USC were in great physical condition.

An offensive tackle might not be suited for running a marathon, but I would be willing to bet the ones who are in shape can keep up with just about anybody in short sprints under 40 yards. Some of those 320 pounders can run 4.9 to 4.8 seconds in the 40 yard dash. Many regular sized "in shape" looking people would have trouble with that.

So it's not how big a person is it's how conditioned they are for the "type" of physical endurance they need. So you can have a heavy set barbarian who is battle hardened I honestly don't believe he should be penalized for his size. Otherwise the toughest warriors would be little guys, and that isn't the historical stereotype at all. Think Goliath little guy or big guy? Was he good in combat or was he at a disadvantage in combat? It seems historically people believed the bigger guy had the advantage. They would know too because we are well removed from old school hand to hand combat.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

"We Dwarves are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances." Gimli, son of Gloin.

Isaiah MGT470 likes this.
  16. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Hi Qball!
    I'm late posting on this subject, I haven't read through the thread so forgive me if the subject is closed and I'm too late, or it's already been mentioned, but I would like to be able to customise my character to be an 85-year old with all that might entail (wrinkles, balding, white hair, missing teeth, bad breath, skinny legs, spinal curvature, poor eyesight, yellow toenails, hair growing in my ears, hobbled-knee, etc...). I also generally try to look exceedingly ugly!

Good luck with your endeavour, there are some serious opinions here!
    Best regards,
    Devoid

Miracle Dragon and Rhiannon like this.
  17. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I'm totally with you, Devoid. My Skyrim character was SO incredibly cool looking. She has lots of wrinkles, her gray hair in a bun... actually she looks a lot like me - only prettier!
    [​IMG]

Devoid likes this.
  18. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

@Rhiannon: :):)

19. Miracle Dragon

So it's been a couple months.. and alpha is coming up soon, does this mean the character creation customization user interface has reached some form of prototype?

If clothing and armor is 'well on its way', does that mean you're prepared to look into the idea of dynamic in-game change when it comes to your avatar's physique? :D I hope all is going well, and my apologies for pulling up an old thread.. but new conversations on old ideas should have pertinant references.

20. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

check this out

Miracle Dragon and Sir Frank like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.